Evercade Rant

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Evercade Rant

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 24th, 2022, 11:20 am

I stumbled upon this video which makes me NOT want to get the Evercade Mega Cat 2 cartridge...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J5HnQn ... e=youtu.be

First, I never do any Evercade updates. It just defeats the whole purpose of buying COMPLETE games in physical form. Apparently this cart comes loaded with a DEMO version of one of the games, so you have to update to get the full version. That is some BS.

The dude in the video also mentions that two of the other games don't even work at all.

I think Evercade needs to tread a little more carefully with their quality control. If not there are going to lose much of the goodwill they'd forged with the retro gaming community. I'm worried they are rushing products to market.

MSR1701

Re: Evercade Rant

Postby MSR1701 » July 29th, 2022, 8:50 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I stumbled upon this video which makes me NOT want to get the Evercade Mega Cat 2 cartridge...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J5HnQn ... e=youtu.be

First, I never do any Evercade updates. It just defeats the whole purpose of buying COMPLETE games in physical form. Apparently this cart comes loaded with a DEMO version of one of the games, so you have to update to get the full version. That is some BS.

The dude in the video also mentions that two of the other games don't even work at all.

I think Evercade needs to tread a little more carefully with their quality control. If not there are going to lose much of the goodwill they'd forged with the retro gaming community. I'm worried they are rushing products to market.

If this is on the "Beta" release with a patch to update the game (thru the VS console) down the road, they did announce (and include an insert in the cart) that stated that the final game was not ready when they were going to "print" the game, and that they would be able to update the cart later with the full game once available.

I wasn't crazy about this either, and there were a few emulation tweaks that had to be patched down the road for some of their early games. At this time, of all the games I've played on the carts (I currently own all of the available carts, including the new Gaelco 2 and Jelaco 1 Arcade carts) (about 80% of all the titles on the carts), I've only seen an odd anomaly on Exile on the Renovations cart, where the game doesn't run right, and then only on the handheld console (presumably the EXP, which has the same hardware as the VS, will not have the emulation issue).

As far as the other games not working on the MadCats 2 cart, I never had issues on there. I did have a lemon Codemasters 1 cart when it was first released, which was realized to be a bad batch of carts and a replacement was sent out and works fine (the issue on that cart was that none of the 16-bit titles ran and the 8-bit had glitches up the wazoo). Again, this was a bad batch and the seller (Funstock) replaced the cart after testing the new batch (they specifically asked if I was OK with an unsealed cart so that they could test out the game).

Out of curiosity, which of the carts have you obtained?

Return to “Video Games General”