Expensive Games You Want

General and high profile video game topics.
jon

Expensive Games You Want

Postby jon » July 28th, 2022, 2:30 pm

I've been so happy about my Sengoku 3 MVS purchase because it's really kind of been my holy grail game and I know these games are only going to rise in price like crazy. I was thinking what games do other people plan to get which are really expensive?

matmico399

Re: Expensive Games You Want

Postby matmico399 » July 28th, 2022, 8:24 pm

I still want D2 for my Dreamcast. It's not outrageous but it's more than I want to spend. I just don't know if I can pull the trigger on it, the last time I saw about 2 years ago it was still going in the $75 range. That's a lot for me to spend on one single retro game.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » July 31st, 2022, 12:30 pm

Dreamcast games in general are quite expensive if you want a copy without any scratches. I had to buy three copies of Sonic Adventure to get one that was even playable.

The expensive game I want is the original Silent Hill. Truly unconscionable prices for a game that isn't rare at all. I can't fathom how it got to this point.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » August 1st, 2022, 3:27 am

It sounds cliché, but I'm fortunate enough to own every single game I could ever want - or have ever wanted.

In saying that, unlike a lot of other collectors out there, I don't "want it all." I have my favorites, plus a few bonus games I come across from time to time - but there isn't a single title I currently pine for.

It's always fun to shop around and get good deals, but saving up for an expensive game really isn't my speed.

In the past year or so, though, I did fill a few holes in my collection. I finally got a copy of Super Mario RPG for what I thought was a fair price ($60 on Mercari) and bought a bootleg of an English-language version of Wonder Project J2 for $18 on AliExpress. I also had an old friend who asked if I was interested in his Gamecube collection, and worked out a trade where I did some housework and moving help in exchange for games. I now have Eternal Darkness, Pikmin 2, and F-Zero GX complete in the case, among others.

Now, if only I had the time to play any of them! Really, that's what keeps me from wanting to buy more. My backlog is probably close to a hundred titles at this point. Once I get caught up, maybe I'll start a new wishlist - but I get the feeling the reaper will be coming for me long before my backlog is complete.

Stalvern wrote:Dreamcast games in general are quite expensive if you want a copy without any scratches

Agreed. I saw a post of yours in a previous topic about the GD-ROM format, and I feel your assessment is accurate - it certainly ain't great. I remember renting Dreamcast games from Hollywood Video back when the system was current, and even then, I came across several titles that were unplayable. And they had probably only been rented, what, two or three times before I got my hands on them, at the most? Unreal!

My work-around is to buy the game I want more or less for display only. I'll try it out in my console, but if it doesn't work well, I'll make a backup CD-R copy as my "play" copy, instead. I first did this around twenty years ago with my copy of Shenmue. No matter what I did, whenever I entered the arcade on my retail Disc 1, the game would crash. I downloaded a bootleg, put it on a cheap CD, and it played perfectly.

Back then, you had to use a boot disc. Now, most Dreamcast files online are self-booting. We've come so far...

I do still advocate for owning an original copy whenever possible. But, if your retail copy is giving you issues, I think a reproduction / backup is a fair compromise. Though, really, the GD-ROM format should have been durable enough to survive normal wear and handling from adult gamers and properly-managed collections.

I've run into these issues with countless Gamecube titles over the years, too. I refuse to buy Gamecube games anymore due to my low success rate with secondhand titles. That's also one console I have no interest in pirating. Burning CD-R discs is one thing. Burning mini discs, or modding my console for SD card loading? No, thanks. Even I have my limits :P

Stalvern wrote:Silent Hill. Truly unconscionable prices for a game that isn't rare at all.

Yep. Regarding major purchasing decisions, there comes a point where common sense has to prevail.

Personally, I don't like getting hosed. When I see something selling for a price that I know is way too high, I have no problem walking away. Just because something costs a lot doesn't mean it's actually worth a lot.

The important thing, of course, is understanding what it's actually worth to you.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » August 1st, 2022, 9:04 am

I once owned a copy of Knuckles Chaotix for 32X. I sold it (when I was a kid, many years ago). Now I regret, because I'd like to play the game again, but the prices for this game are sky high!

DocHix

Postby DocHix » August 1st, 2022, 11:18 am

I'm not in a position to spend too much on games these days...I typically scour brick and mortar locations for finds (which are becoming increasingly rare). I would love to come across copies of "Diner" (Intellivision), "Polaris" (Atari 2600) and a CIB "Steel Battalion" (OBOX).

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » August 1st, 2022, 12:21 pm

I miss Vandal Hearts, and it isn't a Holy Grail kinda game, but 150 for it (Last time I looked) seems way too much. I'd gladly pay 50 or so for a copy of that, but triple digits? Ouch.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » August 1st, 2022, 5:21 pm

CaptainCruch wrote:I once owned a copy of Knuckles Chaotix for 32X. Now... the prices for this game are sky high!

I believe a lot of us are running into this these days - myself, included.

When I was younger, I was always trading in my older games to get newer ones. Not just at stores, but with friends, or at yard sales, or even with classmates. FuncoLand or GameStop didn't really exist back then.

It's not unusual to get the itch to play a game from my youth, but in the event I don't already have it, I typically find the asking price these days is waaaaaay more than the $5 or so I sold it for in 1991.

Sometimes it's worth the splurge, but in most cases I just take solace in the fact that at least I got to own the game at some point in my life. I may never own Panzer Dragoon Saga again, but I can still say I once had it.

Better to have loved and lost, I suppose...

Return to “Video Games General”