Evercade Madness

General and high profile video game topics.
matmico399

Evercade Madness

Postby matmico399 » July 29th, 2022, 7:53 pm

Okay guys I'd like you to do something for me. I have read the basics but what is everyone's obsession about the Evercade? I'm not really interested but everybody seems to be going crazy about this. I thought the Polymega was much bigger news as I've waited for it for years. I know what it does but please explain to me what is considered so great about it? Thanks

MSR1701

Re: Evercade Madness

Postby MSR1701 » July 30th, 2022, 8:46 am

matmico399 wrote:Okay guys I'd like you to do something for me. I have read the basics but what is everyone's obsession about the Evercade? I'm not really interested but everybody seems to be going crazy about this. I thought the Polymega was much bigger news as I've waited for it for years. I know what it does but please explain to me what is considered so great about it? Thanks

1) the Evercade handheld, VS and EXP systems receive physical game releases; the VS (and eventually the EXP) have Wifi, but only for system updates and leaderboard posting. At this time, the only digital games are on the VS, and those are samples of what is to come on a physical cart later

2) the games released are licensed from the rights-holders and are official releases of classic games and modern titles. This does have some side effects (at this time the Namco 1 and 2 carts only work on the Handheld unit due to the agreement Evercade/Blaze has with Namco), but it does mean that Evercade is working to avoid legal issues that would cease the existence of their product

3) the game releases come in a clamshell case with a color manual; the quality of information in the manual varies depending on the quantity of the games included on the cart (for example, the manual for Xeno Crisis/Tanglewood is MUCH more in-depth than Piko 1 with the slew of games on that cart). More recent releases have also been including stickers, fold-up posters, cards and other free goodies that, while not required, are nice and a nice throwback to games of yore

4) The cart prices are around 20-25USD a pop, which is lower than most other physical platforms.

5) the game selection is interesting, as you have the console line (the red covers), the arcade line (the purple covers) and the upcoming computer line (blue covers). The console line has titles that are versions of games from a home console, such as the 2600, NES, Genesis/Mega Drive, PSX, GBA, etc., while the Arcade line is the arcade version of the given games

6) the games all support save states to the carts, as well as saved games for compatible software, again to the carts

7) the VS has "hidden" games that can be accessed by controller inputs on the main menu, and additional games can be accessed if two specific carts are in the VS's cart ports (oh, forgot - the VS has two cart ports)

8) the VS supports assorted USB controllers (though when I used a 6-button Genesis USB controller, mapping it was...interesting...)

9) many of the games released are hard-to-find games (such as Joe and Mac 2 SNES), obscure import releases (Brave Battle Saga), reworked games to remove licenses ("Hoops" Shut up and Jam), releases of indie games and new Genesis games (the Indie collection and MadCatz carts), or games that one hasn't had the chance to play (Gaelco arcade).

10) both the handheld and VS Controllers are very comfortable and easy to use

Does this help? :) 8-)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Evercade Madness

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 30th, 2022, 9:53 am

For me the main draw is that it gives gamers an easy and legal way to acquire titles that were either prohibitively expensive or previously unavailable.

Return to “Video Games General”