Opinions

General and high profile video game topics.
Steve1

Opinions

Postby Steve1 » March 8th, 2007, 10:04 pm

I've been reading this website for years and enjoy it immensely. I even browse it on my work system which could get me in trouble! However, something is bugging me lately. Things just seem to be getting nasty here overall. The bottom line is that most of what is posted here is an opinion and nothing more. There is no right or wrong. Being #1 or #3 does not make you the best or the worst either. I hope all systems do well because competition drives innovation. I would love to see market share at 33% across the board.

Here is my background. I might very well be the oldest person on here from what I have seen in previous posts. I have a 2600, Colecovision, Sega Genesis, 32X (and yes, I like it), Lynx, GameBoy Advance, PlayStation1, Xbox, PSP and Xbox360. I bought (or it was purchased for me) each system for a simple reason....it had games I liked. The best example is the current generation. I will NEVER buy a Wii. Why? It has absolutely no games I am interested in....plain and simple. However, I give them credit for trying something new and brilliant marketing tactics. I hope they succeed in selling lots of systems. The games don't appeal to me is all. I do not plan to buy a PS3 until there is more available for it that I am interested in (I must admit here I have not been fond of their attitude as of late - "next gen starts when we say it does"). Right now, the Xbox 360 meets my needs. Also, when people agree on systems, there are still disagreements on games. Live Arcade is the best example of this. Of the existing games, Time Pilot and Paperboy are among my favorites and I could not wait to download them. I have NO desire to get games like Castlevania. That game does not appeal to me. I am looking forward to games like Missle Command and Warlords. Again, this is just an opinion.  I understand that this is a forum and many of the discussions are quite interesting. However, it would be nice to read them without the insulting comments about people and their opinions. I think it is obvious by the systems I have that I am not a "fanboy" (a silly term). I just got the systems that met my needs at the time.

I look forward to making some friends on here if I have not insulted anyone.

m0zart1

Opinions

Postby m0zart1 » March 8th, 2007, 10:36 pm

[QUOTE=Steve]The best example is the current generation. I will NEVER buy a Wii. Why? It has absolutely no games I am interested in....plain and simple.[/QUOTE]

Well given that the system is just coming out, don't you think any reasonable person would find it a little suspicious that you say you will NEVER buy a Wii because it has no games you are interested in in the immediate present, only a few months after its release?

One might say that bias is itself just a difference of opinion.  Having said that, it does indeed sound like some kind of bias when you use absolutes like "never" at the beginning of a system's lifecycle on the excuse of a lack of good games, when in fact you couldn't possibly know that four years in advance.

[QUOTE=Steve]I understand that this is a forum and many of the discussions are quite interesting. However, it would be nice to read them without the insulting comments about people and their opinions.[/QUOTE]

A good bit of the hostility you see here has been spawned by downright hostility towards the Wii and those who would dare to say they might enjoy it.  "Stupid" has been thrown around by at least one individual to those who express their satisfaction with the system.  As a result, our self-defense instincts naturally kick in.

So I guess the point I am making is that if you don't insult us, we (well at least I) won't insult you

Edward M

Opinions

Postby Edward M » March 8th, 2007, 10:48 pm

This is probably one of the least nasty places out there.  I do notice a lotta people seem to not like Shawn here.  I don't know why, I haven't been here very long, I think he seems to hate Nintendo or something I dont know.  But other than that, this is a pretty good forum. Fanboys are stupid, and If I were to guess, the forums with "fanboys" are the ones where teenagers rule the land.   Most of them are immature and have little money.   They can only afford one or two systems, so they have to make themselves feel better and insult the other systems.  I think thats a bunch of crap (even though it is pretty easy to make fun of the PS3 right now). If you look at all the systems, you will see something good on all of them.   Xbox 360 (GRAW Gears of War, Dead Rising, Crackdown)  PS3(Resistance... and   Motorstorm and.... Don't worry it will come around)  and the Wii ( Zelda, Monkey Ball, Wii Play(Vastily underrated), Sonic, Metal Slug)  No reason to get in fanboy wars and turn this forum into crap.  That's what www.systemwars.com is for, a horrible place.  If I am a fanboy, I'm a fanboy of good games and developers no matter what system they are on. (Ok maybe not N-gage)

Nothing wrong with opinions. I certainly have mine.   But anybody who gets emotional over a video game and starts calling people names online and whining is a fool.  For example, the critic gave one of my top ten games of all time a D (Prince of Persia, the Sands of Time) but I'm not gonna call him names over it. I certainly am not gonna get mad over someone not liking a certain game. Luckily we dont have much that of that here that I've noticed.   Welcome to the forum BTW.   Why haven't you ever posted, or have you before I've been here?

JustLikeHeaven1

Opinions

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » March 8th, 2007, 10:54 pm

I try to be as unbiased in my posts as possible.  I will defend any system if I see a valid point that needs to be made.  I agree with Steve that all three systems should flourish because thats whats best for a gamer. 

I know I've said it before and I'll say it again, its sort of silly to root for a gaming company like a pro sports team...because when that game comes out that you finally want you look like a idiot for saying you hated the system all along.  In the end thats what gets me to purchase systems...the games. 

Also I would like to add that I would never openly attack someone's opinion.  Whats the point?  Its not like I'm going to change someone's opinion with a simple post.  Opinions are something that everybody has and I respect that.  If we all agreed on everything this place would be pretty boring (yea thats been said already too...so shoot me). 

With all that said, things will probably continue to be this way for at least a couple of years.  After the next gen stuff wears off I fully expect most of the conversations around here to revert back to classic gaming.

Don't be a stranger Steve, feel free to ask any questions and hopefully things will stay calm around here.

Steerforth

Opinions

Postby Steerforth » March 8th, 2007, 11:59 pm

Steve -

You're not interested in Super Mario Galaxy!?!!? What is WRONG with you?!?!?

Oh, I'm just kidding. I agree with most of what you said, and with what you are trying to say. The worst part of some of the arguments is how predictable they are. If  you can't be constructive, at least try to be a little original and entertaining. It will be super ironic if this topic turns into a Wii vs PS3 or PS3 vs 360 topic by page 2 or 3, like most topics on this board tend to do.

But I am new here, maybe I should just shut my big, dumb mouth.

Alienblue

Opinions

Postby Alienblue » March 9th, 2007, 5:39 am

Steve-how dare you call yourself the OLDEST one on here? I'm almost (gag,cough,sputter,wheezeee) FORTY-ONE, born in nineteen hunnerd sixty six! Can you top that, man?! Aw hell, lets just go sit on the back porch and rock and smoke-er-lemonade...

Anyway, Opinions are what make us who we are. I agree with you for the most part. If someone doesn't like a thing that I like, I don't feel a need to defend it unless a) they are wrong in their facts or b) they are being a butthead, spouting stupid names and such -"System A sux donkey ears!"

As far as systems go, I either love 'em or I'm neutral-i neither love nor hate the new systems right now. As I've said before, it's what's INSIDE that counts...the SOFTWARE, the GAMES! My favorite systems have -to me- the best GAMES! You can't really call me a fanboy since, at the moment, I'm playing four different systems- PS2, DS, Atari 7800 and Genesis! I'm a VIDEOGAME Fanboy!

When people get into deep-rooted arguments (not often) over a game, I try to remind them it's just that-a GAME! Not the presidential debates or Religious convictions, It's-a-VIDEOGAME! Some like, some don't! End of discussion!

Steve1

Opinions

Postby Steve1 » March 9th, 2007, 11:23 am

Well, being new to this forum, I haven't quite figured out how to put comments from other postings in here so I will do my best to remember what was said.

For Mozart: You are right, I should not have used the word NEVER. However, at this point in time, the games AND control mechanism do not appeal to me. So, while it is possible I might buy one going forward, it does not appeal to me at this point in time. Certainly, I am not bashing it. Quite the opposite. I think it is by far the most innovative system I have ever seen and credit should be taken for that.

For Edward: I only browse 2 sites regularly. Gamespot and this one. Gamespot forums are usually laughable. I'm not even sure why I read them. So, while this site is certainly great and perhaps the least 'nasty', I was just expressing my opinion that as of late, it seems to be getting a little nastier than it ever was. I have seen more than one posting about banning people (I have been logging on to this site for years and can recall 2 people that seem to create a stir).

I did post once before and not a single person responded - which was odd since it was a request for help (after a while I stopped checking so it is possible someone posted eventually).

Alienblue: Sorry, I just turned 42 in January 

Steerforth/JLH: Thanks for commenting also. Like I said, I hope to make some friends on here. I also hope this string does not turn into a Xbox vs Wii vs PS3.

Thanks for everyone replying. I hope I did not insult anyone with my Wii comments. I certainly did not intend to.

Alienblue

Opinions

Postby Alienblue » March 9th, 2007, 12:56 pm

EVERYBODY! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I'm no longer the OLDEST one on here! Oh happy days! From now on, direct all "you are Prehistoric ancient, antique!...." jokes to STEVE , aka "The anceient one"!

I'm just a young'un, growing up longggggg after STEVE, a whole YEAR - might as well be a millonium!

(ok, seriously, Steve, glad to meet you, you seem very astute and knowladgeable, and Congrats for growing up in the BEST of all possible eras, the golden age of Pac-Man, Asteroids and E.T.! Remember getting all those bargains in "the crash"? Remember posting your intials on Centipede? Remember The alamo?.... okay happy belated birthday, fellow Wise One!)

Paul Campbell

Opinions

Postby Paul Campbell » March 10th, 2007, 4:22 am

I think what someone back there said about us defending ourselves when somebody without class lashes out being more instinctive is right, but I am not excusing myself.  I should do better at not retaliating against those that can be jerks.

I am really going to be more careful about allowing posts that do NOTHING but stir up arguments, like someone chiming in really quick about how much a certain system sucks, because they always end up dumbing down otherwise interesting discussions.  Of course, the other moderators are always beating me to the punch and I don't want to step on their toes. Only about a third of the time do I arrive to the site and find posts that need approval.

feilong801

Opinions

Postby feilong801 » March 11th, 2007, 11:39 pm

Yeah, this site is still a cut above. Trust me, take a look around you'll rarely find discussion that is as indepth and well written as it is here.

However, it is true that there has been quite a bit of tasteless bashing going on, ever since the Wii announced, much less released. I actually took that as a harbinger of success: if something polarizes the community, which Wii did, it must mean there are some strong positives as well as negatives. Just the nature of something being polar.

I have tried to distance myself from the Wii vs. PS3 type posts for awhile now. Just nothing new to say there. We all know the score: the Wii has the early edge, and has resonated with the general public in a way no console has since perhaps the original Nintendo. Sony stumbled early, mostly because of one factor alone: $600. You would have to have the greatest launch lineup of all time to have big success with that price, and of course we all know that they stumbled out of the gate (embarassing E3 showing, blu-ray problems, no HDMI cable, delaying Europe's launch, and terrible PR like killing lik-sang.com). Sony will produce great titles eventually, and it is indeed way to early to dismiss them. I just got back from the Game Developer's Conference (as an game audio developer myself) and it was very clear that Sony was re-arming itself. It was almost as if Nintendo was lying low this year (last year's conference was the opposite, Nintendo's presence was HUGE).

In other words, there really is nothing new to debate about, and won't be until probably the holiday season of 07.

-Rob

Return to “Video Games General”