Video Game Myths

General and high profile video game topics.
mbd36

Re: Video Game Myths

Postby mbd36 » July 31st, 2022, 4:28 pm

I remember people saying that there would eventually be an intermission in Atari 2600 Pac-Man. It was actually in the original arcade game.

There were a lot of rumors about SF2 that turned out to be from bootleg versions as well as glitches (Guile's "handcuffs").

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » July 31st, 2022, 4:32 pm

NES Kung Fu. If you complete 50 loops or some other crazy number, you'd finally fight Sylvia. Too bad that it's all lies.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 31st, 2022, 5:44 pm

I still believe every single one of these myths.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » July 31st, 2022, 7:39 pm

That the Sega CD was actually the next level in gaming.

txsizzler

Postby txsizzler » August 1st, 2022, 1:01 pm

Stalvern wrote:
SuperiorShark wrote:Getting 120 stars lets you meet Yoshi on top of the castle – getting the secret 121st star lets you ride him.

That sounds soooo wrong…

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » August 1st, 2022, 3:34 pm

I don't know where it started, but I read several times over the years that Sega hired Joe Satriani for the guitar work on Saturn Sega Rally Championship. I believed this for years because it was mentioned authoritatively by people in the gaming or music industry. See the link below for proof of this being stated.

But I no longer believe it to be true, as the Sega of Japan artists are clearly listed in various places, such as the segaretro link below. Wikipedia and other misinformation?

https://segaretro.org/Sega_Rally_Champi ... 20Hijikata.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/joesatr ... t6068.html

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » August 1st, 2022, 3:57 pm

A common myth I'd hear in the early 80s was that you could get a triple ship on Galaga. I knew you couldn't get more than the double ship so I always assumed kids just lied and told tall tales.

But years later in the 90s I played Gaplus on the Namco discs, and I realized that they may have actually seen the triple ship in Gaplus back in the day and none of us realized it was a different game from Galaga.

DocHix

Postby DocHix » August 2nd, 2022, 1:44 pm

Talk about a real time waster...in the 80s, there was rumor that if you completed both screens of "Donkey Kong" for the Atari 2600 100 times without dying you would open up a mysterious third screen. I personally knew several kids who developed what turned out to be lifelong carpal tunnel syndrome attempting this "feat".

Herschie

Postby Herschie » August 3rd, 2022, 2:45 pm

When I was a kid my mom told me that the Grim Reaper from Paperboy would pop out of the TV and attack kids with messy rooms and I developed a drinking problem years later thinking about how I chose death over chores.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » August 3rd, 2022, 2:55 pm

One myth or rumor I remember hearing about as a kid was there being a secret World Circuit in Mike Tyson's Punch Out that was supposed to be way harder than the World Circuit. There were even codes for this circuit that were printed out in a few of the strategy guides that were making the rounds back in the day. Unfortunately, none of them worked when I tried to enter them.

Another one I read about was that there was a hidden version of Pong in the arcade version of MK2. I read about that one in Game Players, and the way it worked was that you had to play something like 250 matches in two player mode, which would unlock the hidden Pong game. Now I don't have any idea if this was actually true, but I just can't see anybody dropping down what would have to be a small fortune in quarters just to find a super hidden secret...

Return to “Video Games General”