Looking for X360 controllers

General and high profile video game topics.
Shapur

Looking for X360 controllers

Postby Shapur » August 6th, 2022, 10:43 pm

Retro controllers are pretty abundant but it seems quality 360 controllers are getting scarce. I tried Google but I think YOU the video game critic.com community are who I trust most.

Given the lack of decent condition official 360 controllers what should I buy? I have my issues with even the oem controller as 4 out of my 5 originals have ceased pairing. There’s a plethora of knock offs with many reviews saying they’re great but if I dig it seems like all have issues with loos buttons, analog dead zones. What do you all recommend?

Atariboy

Re: Looking for X360 controllers

Postby Atariboy » August 6th, 2022, 11:03 pm

Perhaps take an alternate route and consider the Brook XB converter instead. They're a respected manufacturer of controller adapters.

https://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/59327520/

This particular one lets you connect most modern controllers to the adapter via the adapter's female USB connector, with the adapter then plugging into any Xbox from the original all the way to the Series X.

In the case of the original Xbox, you'd also need a cheap USB-to-Xbox cable in order to connect the adapter to an original Xbox since while the controller ports on the system followed the USB standard electrically, the physical connector on the Xbox was proprietary.

The one minor weakness with this adapter is that if you want to pair a wireless controller to it, you're limited to PS3-PS5 controllers or the Switch Pro controller. So no pairing something like a Xbox One controller to use it wirelessly on your Xbox 360 (You're limited to connecting such controllers via USB cable to the adapter due to the incompatible wireless tech that MS uses instead of generic Bluetooth).

Shapur

Postby Shapur » August 6th, 2022, 11:42 pm

Thanks! This looks like a promising solution.

And now I’ve discovered there was a Sega Astro City also. Sweet

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 7th, 2022, 10:04 am

It's interesting about retro controllers becoming scarce. You'd expect there to be stockpiles of the things.

About two years ago I was on the lookout for a PS2 controller (Sony original manufacturer, not a knock-off), and they were impossible to find in the used game shops. Heck, even PS2's were shooting up in price. Last year I paid $100 for a working PS2.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » August 7th, 2022, 10:49 am

While I personally have and get an abundance of working PS2 things like systems and controllers in my wife's store, I will actually 2nd this about 360 controllers. Most of the time they come in I can't get them to pair with the system, and I have 3 controllers at home and I can only get 1 of them to consistently work, even when plugged in directly to the system via an official USB cable.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » August 7th, 2022, 7:58 pm

And for the third time I agree with this. Of all the controllers I have the 360 ones seem to be the worst. I have one now that barely works. I think there is some quality control issues here. I also am looking to buy a couple of them now, and the ones I have seen so far are pretty outrageous in price. Even for a wired controller. I have a local retro shop here but there are always super expensive. I'll check out the link posted above.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » August 9th, 2022, 1:24 am

Shapur wrote:Thanks! This looks like a promising solution.

If you pick this up and decide to connect a wired controller to it, 8BitDo even offers two different wired Xbox One/Series controllers that would make for a good match.

https://www.8bitdo.com/pro2-wired-controller-for-xbox/

https://www.8bitdo.com/ultimate-wired-c ... -for-xbox/

Great options if you're looking for a controller with Xbox style button lettering and colors. And unlike connecting something like a 1st party Xbox One controller to this adapter via USB, there's no batteries to worry about since these 8BitDo Xbox gamepads are purely wired controllers (The official controllers of the past two Xbox generations still run off batteries even in wired USB mode).

Shapur

Postby Shapur » August 21st, 2022, 3:46 pm

Atariboy wrote:
Shapur wrote:Thanks! This looks like a promising solution.

If you pick this up and decide to connect a wired controller to it, 8BitDo even offers two different wired Xbox One/Series controllers that would make for a good match.

https://www.8bitdo.com/pro2-wired-controller-for-xbox/

https://www.8bitdo.com/ultimate-wired-c ... -for-xbox/

Great options if you're looking for a controller with Xbox style button lettering and colors. And unlike connecting something like a 1st party Xbox One controller to this adapter via USB, there's no batteries to worry about since these 8BitDo Xbox gamepads are purely wired controllers (The official controllers of the past two Xbox generations still run off batteries even in wired USB mode).

I have used some PowerA controllers which seem ubiquitous at retailers. Are the 8bitdo ones better in quality?

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » August 22nd, 2022, 7:27 pm

I have no first hand experience with PowerA.

8BitDo controllers feel like 1st party accessories. There's one caveat to 8BitDo products based off what I've read and also my personal experience. You chance getting a faulty d-pad with some of their products.

While much improved from their 1st generation NES/SNES Bluetooth controllers from a number of years back (Nobody liked the d-pad on those), you should always test the d-pad out thoroughly upon receiving your new controller. Even with their latest controllers, they can suffer from unintended diagonal inputs out of the box.

One good way to test their PC compatible controllers is something like this online gamepad testing site.

https://gamepad-tester.com/

Return to “Video Games General”