Scott the Woz

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Scott the Woz

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 15th, 2022, 7:27 pm

It seems like the Angry Video Game Nerd has quieted down over the last few years, but now there's a new, younger guy to take his place, Scott the Woz.

This guy has a similar comedic style and similar sensibilities too. I love this video on game stores:
https://youtu.be/QQEutrGhoqI

Granted, I think he's too young to delve into the classic systems, but for the GameCube on, he's got it covered.

Do you guys watch him?

LoganRuckman

Re: Scott the Woz

Postby LoganRuckman » August 15th, 2022, 8:57 pm

I love Scott! He's become one of my favorite YouTubers since the WiiWare Chronicles era

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 15th, 2022, 9:33 pm

I take back what I said about him not covering classic systems. Was just watching his video on 3D gaming and he goes WAY back to the early 80's so I guess he knows his old school stuff. His videos are kind of long, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDeJ06iRbWA

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » August 16th, 2022, 12:53 am

Started watching him a couple years ago. I really like the mixed pace of his videos, and sometimes his humor is really clever. He's got a good sarcastic sound to his voice that makes what would otherwise be mundane explanations of something much more interesting. Unfortunately he occasionally slips in a joke or two that are VERY age specific for me, otherwise I would love to have my kids watch his videos to help them learn about the systems of my childhood, cause they love that stuff, and I think he could pass for about a fourteen year old if he wanted to.

I'm a BIG fan of earlier AVGN stuff, which I re-watch regularly like a comfort food. But his mid and later stuff feels forced a lot of the time and has zero of whatever warm fuzzies I get watching the old stuff. Seems like the second half of his career he just wears this phony frown while he talks and throws words like "diarrhea" in wherever he can. Not that I blame him. It would be hard to maintain that specific energy into adulthood and fatherhood.

Voor

Postby Voor » August 19th, 2022, 5:44 pm

I still like AVGN. He went through a period of having basically a production crew and I think his work suffered, but he scaled back this year and I think his quality is improving. I watch and listen James and Mike videos all the time.

Scott is really good, but he talks so fast and I just can’t watch any video that’s more than 30 minutes long.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » August 19th, 2022, 10:34 pm

Scott is honestly a little too much for me personally. And honestly, especially the early AVGN is also too much for me. I feel that as AVGN has mellowed out in the last few years he's gotten easier to watch and I enjoy him more without the gimmick being constant. So that's my 2 cents, take it as you will.

For a note of the positive, I really like Gamesack and Segalord X. Their more 'dad joke' and straight laced style I find enjoyable.

k8track

Postby k8track » August 20th, 2022, 12:04 pm

Speaking only for myself, I have never been remotely able to stand the AVGN or any other youtuber with a similar snarky schtick. Those kinds of videos are neither informative nor entertaining for me. I once tried to watch an AVGN video on the Atari 5200 and he proceeded to mindlessly bash it. Completely useless. I vastly prefer the people who are straight-up informative and provide lots of useful historical context and intelligent insight. My holy trifecta is Chrontendo, Jeremy Parish, and Atari Archive. I begrudgingly concede that AVGN and others of his ilk have their place, apparently; I just won’t be visiting it.

Voor

Postby Voor » August 20th, 2022, 9:43 pm

That 5200 video is one of the very worst. If you want to try it again, pick a game you like and see if he’s done a review. I really like the Earthbound video, for example. Ninja Gaiden might be my favorite, or ROB the Robot.

Though I wouldn’t call them reviews or a source of information about a game—they are “shows”.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » August 20th, 2022, 11:36 pm

Watching an AVGN video for informative insights is like watching a Daffy Duck cartoon for social commentary. It isn't precluded from being there, but you're missing the point. The Nerd is just a character who gets angry at video games, and you either think he's angry in a funny way or don't. I think he has an entertaining charisma (certainly compared to contemporary screaming idiots like the Nostalgia Critic); if you don't, you don't have to bother with him, but at least engage on his own terms instead of acting like he's bad at something he isn't even doing. The 5200 video is a classic – it isn't a guide to the system's history and library; it's a comedy sketch about a hapless man's futile struggle to set up a very cumbersome piece of hardware.

I do not recommend looking for AVGN videos about games you like (what?) or taking the more serious videos about good games as representative of his strengths and purpose. Think of an old game that really ticked you off and see if he got ticked off at the same things about it.

Voor

Postby Voor » August 21st, 2022, 12:01 am

Either way is fine. If you get personally offended because he trashes a game you like for comedic effect, that’s on you. Lol.

Interesting, James Rolfe (AVGN) is a super chill dude. His buddy, Mike, is a legitimate angry video game nerd. I often wonder if he was an inspiration for AVGN or he slowly morphed into that over the years.

Return to “Video Games General”