When will there be no more consoles?

General and high profile video game topics.
Jascott72

When will there be no more consoles?

Postby Jascott72 » August 22nd, 2022, 1:34 pm

I know this subject isn't new. But how much longer do you guys think we will still have consoles? I was talking with a much younger co-worker about this. I am guessing the PS6 and the next Xbox generation may be the last, with Nintendo hanging out for an additional generation of consoles because they are always behind Sony and Microsoft technologically.

And then it will be nothing but downloading games to a high powered gaming PC. No more physical media. Just downloads and/or streaming. I say this because I at least understand that Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo all lose money on consoles, but make up for it by selling games. Of course their profit margin will be even higher when there is no physical media at all.

But am I right or wrong? Am I partially correct? What do you guys think? Any input is appreciated.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: When will there be no more consoles?

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 22nd, 2022, 8:53 pm

Interesting topic.

Sometimes I wonder if consoles - even download only - will be needed in 20 years. Right now network lag makes the Netflix model impractical for most, but maybe they're be able to speed the network so it's as fast as a console in front of you? Is that even physically possible?

Then you have to look at it from a money-making viewpoint. Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo are making a lot of money on consoles, controllers, and other hardware. If Sony could make a ton of money off a Playstation 9, don't you think they would?

These companies didn't mind ditching physical media because they weren't really losing anything. They were selling the same games at the same price, only via a download that didn't cost them anything. With hardware it's a different story. Their "walled gardens" are worth a lot.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » August 23rd, 2022, 12:12 am

Maybe something like the Steam box could take over. There will always be a market for a cheaper alternative to PC that is specifically designed for gaming.

Shapur

Postby Shapur » August 23rd, 2022, 7:03 pm

I think you are right and I think Microsoft’s strategy will win out and we are already essentially in the last gen of consoles. Sony will follow Microsoft’s strategy by the time they make a PS6.By then it’ll probably just be branded PlayStation. Like your iPad. No numbers. Just iPad.

Xbox is a game platform now. They wanna sell Xbox games via download and subscriptions via Xbox game pass. You’ll play them on PCs, phones and even Xbox consoles. That being said there is little “generational difference” between Xbox One and Series. They’ll want you playing “Xbox” on anything with a CPU.

crimefighter

Postby crimefighter » August 23rd, 2022, 11:27 pm

There will be consoles for decades to come, even if the major players move to PCs only, third parties will go their own way with retro consoles and who knows what else.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 24th, 2022, 12:26 am

Interesting topic. I’d say at least 20 years, probably longer. It won’t be next generation.. the technology and market aren’t ready for that.

First, IMO there’s only one way to end the need for consoles— cloud gaming. Going all digital isn’t enough to end consoles, because you’ll still need to upgrade the hardware over time. With cloud streaming, you can upgrade on the server side and theoretically end the need for new consoles. But the streaming technology is still not up to snuff, and I don’t see it being 100% there by next gen. And not enough gamers will have the right internet speed for it yet.

But second, keep in mind consumer expectations, and the wishes of your retail partners. Consumers expect upgrades, and new and better things. They can’t understand buying a console in 2030 and it lasting until 2045, especially if competing companies release a new model. You’ll have to keep releasing newer hardware just to keep up with competitors, even if the upgrades are minimal.

So, I think the more realistic issue is when will console generations end. We may get to a point where consoles become like PCs or iPads.. with a new Xbox model coming out every holiday season, but games will work on a wide variety of past and present models. We’re already seeing that starting with mid-gen upgrades like PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. Soon it may just be gradual upgrades, and phasing out older models, rather than having distinct generations.

travistouchdown

Postby travistouchdown » August 24th, 2022, 10:53 am

The Steam Deck will be my next console. Not bothering with a PS5 or a Series X. Consoles are just small form factor PC's at this point.

I have a Switch and love it; and will game and collect for it as long as they are making those tiny cartridges. After Nintendo stops with physical media i'm just going to PC, because why not? The online is free, the game library is the biggest, and if physical media doesn't exist there is no point in getting a console for me anyway. Don't get me wrong, i like gaming on a TV, it's just very easy to do that with PC these days.

I'll still have my retro consoles to game on, enjoy, and remember the glory days with.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » August 26th, 2022, 6:19 am

Aren't we here already? I mean, you can buy a Xbox Series X or PS5 or Steam Deck with only download-functionality and no disc drive. So practically you own a kind of high-end PC to play games on.
I wouldn't be suprised if the Switch II will be also be download-only.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » August 26th, 2022, 10:03 am

travistouchdown wrote:The Steam Deck will be my next console. Not bothering with a PS5 or a Series X. Consoles are just small form factor PC's at this point.

I have a Switch and love it; and will game and collect for it as long as they are making those tiny cartridges. After Nintendo stops with physical media i'm just going to PC, because why not? The online is free, the game library is the biggest, and if physical media doesn't exist there is no point in getting a console for me anyway. Don't get me wrong, i like gaming on a TV, it's just very easy to do that with PC these days.

I'll still have my retro consoles to game on, enjoy, and remember the glory days with.

Consoles are still a better value for gaming if you can get them at suggested retail price. A comparable gaming PC will probably cost twice as much.

travistouchdown

Postby travistouchdown » August 26th, 2022, 1:43 pm

I would prefer to buy consoles...but they have basically become SFF PCs. I think over the lifespan, especially if you buy games on sale, PC's are a better deal at this point. The online subscription model to access games on modern consoles (gamepass, PS plus, etc) AND paid online is not for me. PC is cheaper in this regard too.

Dont' get me wrong i will be buying carts and discs as long as they sell them for the consoles i do have, but no more new consoles as they go all digital.

Return to “Video Games General”