What's your number one favorite genre?

General and high profile video game topics.
Alucard1191

Re: What's your number one favorite genre?

Postby Alucard1191 » August 27th, 2022, 8:22 pm

RPGs, both PC and Console. Though honestly, I haven't kept up enough to know decent console RPGs from the more recent generations. I'll kinda sorta keep up on the more prominent PC RPGs, and that platform has been probably the best for non-JRPGs since ... well, forever. Going back to the days of Ultima and The Bard's Tale.

Of course that doesn't mean I don't like multiple genres, because I do, but RPGs are what I would call number 1.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » August 28th, 2022, 1:49 am

If I had to choose a single genre, I'd probably gravitate toward soulslikes. Except, out of all the games that have tried to copy Dark Souls' style over the years, the only one that I think actually pulled it off was Bloodborne (which, incidentally, was made by the same people). So, if I could only play the Dark Souls trilogy, Demon's Souls (including the remake), Bloodborne...and maybe Elden Ring now and then...I might actually be okay. Even with my compulsive habit of buying every shiny new game that catches my eye, I always find myself going back to Dark Souls every few months.

Voor

Postby Voor » August 28th, 2022, 9:11 am

Can you claim “Mario games” as a genre? Lol.

Very cool and tough question. I suppose Metroidvanias because of their speedrun potential but I really would miss some other genres.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » August 29th, 2022, 12:02 am

I might say "sports." That's a lot of variety... baseball, football, basketball, hockey, tennis, golf, soccer, wrestling, racing, skiing, track and field, winter and summer Olympics... the list goes on.

If that's outside of the rules, I think "puzzle" games would get the nod. I can completely lose myself in Tetris or Dr. Mario.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » August 29th, 2022, 12:19 am

Adventure games on PC, racing games on consoles. Feels like a useful distinction for this site.

Nice to see other racing fans in the thread!

Return to “Video Games General”