How old are we?

General and high profile video game topics.
Breaker

Re: How old are we?

Postby Breaker » September 15th, 2022, 11:35 am

DrLitch wrote:My age:

What is the next number in the following sequence? Take that number and count the number of prime numbers leading up to the number. That is my age. Number sequence => 6,11,26,57,110, ?

Alternatively: The Mantissa of my age, rounded to 5 bits precision is 1.01011. The Exponent, in 3 bits, is 101. That is my age.

I have no idea what the alternative version means, but if I correctly figured out the pattern, the next number is 185, and there are 42 prime numbers leading up to 185. If I was incorrect on the pattern, I have no idea how old you are.

For myself, I'm 43. First console was a 2600 that I either got as a hand-me-down from my cousins, or I bought from my cousins at a garage sale. I think both happened (from different cousins) but I don't know which was first - that was somewhere around 1987 or 1988. I switched to PC gaming from about 1990 to 1994, then bought a Genesis. I've only ever bought 3 console brand new - the Genny, an N64, and a PS4. Otherwise everything else has been purchased used, with great success. The Genny and N64 are my favorite eras of gaming, no doubt.

Jascott72

Postby Jascott72 » September 15th, 2022, 3:11 pm

Wow, this is pretty cool. I wasn't expecting so many responses, let alone several gamers older than me. I especially like how DocHix mentions "flexible cognitive functioning." I will have to bring that up the next time a woman puts me down for playing video games. Also I remember a while back watching a video on Youtube about an 80 something year old Japanese man playing Dark Souls 3. Will that be us one day?

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » September 21st, 2022, 5:53 am

I'm 40. Since my late dad was an Apple Macintosh-dealer I played my first games on a (black and white) Macintosh (anyone remember Crystal Quest, Shuffle Puck, OIDS and so on)? I may have some different memories, because I'm from Europe and not from the States. Some kids had MSX-computers (I remember that Konami Penguin Adventure-game being quite popular) and others had a NES (all with that combi Duck Hunt/Mario-cartridge), but my first console was a Sega Master System with Alex Kidd in Miracle World as a built-in game. I also remember all those big IBM-computers with those thick screens and the excitement of playing shareware editions of Commander Keen and Wolfenstein 3D on them (parents were disapproving of the game but still let us play)!

Return to “Video Games General”