How old are we?

General and high profile video game topics.
Jascott72

How old are we?

Postby Jascott72 » September 10th, 2022, 6:15 pm

I don't know if this subject has ever been brought up, but have we ever mentioned our age? I am 49 and I will hit the big 5 0 in December. I believe I am older than Dave himself. I remember getting the Atari for Christmas when I turned 6! I remember reading Electronic Games Magazine! I remember the great video game crash of 83, the Sega and Nintendo console wars, etc. In fact I just might be the oldest coot who visits this site on regular basis. So just how old are the rest of you guys?

Zack Burner

Re: How old are we?

Postby Zack Burner » September 10th, 2022, 6:31 pm

I'm 36 going on 37 in early November, though I look like I'm in my early 20's or even age 17-18. I've been gaming since the age of 5 starting with the NES which I played with until I was 12 when I sold it off, then a year later got a Gameboy Color. It wasn't until teenage years when I discovered the art of emulation that I caught up to most of what I missed out on, though in the time period until teendom I had my friends to fall back on and catch up. In my late 20's I finally got a SNES then SNES classic edition, and then a PS Vita and most recently a Switch Lite.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » September 10th, 2022, 7:53 pm

I'm 38 as of this post. While I had a few Atari systems as a youngin', (2600 and 5200) my real gaming love early on was for the NES and Apple IIe. I've spent a good amount of time switching between Console and PC gaming over the years, though I've never really been wealthy enough to have a decent gaming computer. I honestly stopped following consoles very closely the 360/Wii generation. The love of gaming that I have now is a somewhat recent resurface, probably around 2016.

Steve

Postby Steve » September 10th, 2022, 8:52 pm

I actually think I may be one of the older people at 57 who visits this site regularly although, I do not post often. My first home system was Atari Video Pinball C-380 and then moved on to a 2600, Atari 400 home computer and Colecovision. Outside of a brief run with Sega Genesis/32X, I did very little gaming until Xbox. I've never owned a Nintendo system other than a Gameboy advance.

txsizzler

Postby txsizzler » September 10th, 2022, 8:56 pm

I turned 50 this past July. I have been using Dave's VGC site since 1999 or 2000. My first system was the original Magnavox Odyssey system (with its built-in 13 games). In 1979, my brother and I received an Atari 2600 for Christmas, and in 1982, a ColecoVision at Christmas. Wouldn't get our first NES until 1988, but before that, received a Sega Master System in 1986. The Genesis followed in 1990.

LuckyWDFN

Postby LuckyWDFN » September 10th, 2022, 11:21 pm

I'm 51. Besides the Sears Tele-games Pong, my first system was a Bally Astrocade. Blessing and a curse - great system that really excelled at 2 player games but all of my friends had 2600s.

My elementary school had 2 Atari 800s and the media guy would wheel them into our classroom so we could play Caverns of Mars or Lemonade Stand on special occasions. In 5th grade he told us there would come a day when computers could talk to each other and that you would be able to type something and then send it your friend's computer across the country and they could read it instantly... like a letter. We all thought he was crazy.

Most of my 80s gaming was done on an Atari 800xl. I still have it, I still play it. I got it for Christmas then got a paper route to earn the disk drive. The movie War Games came out and I had this friend who was super smart but a bit of a renegade. He knew how to program Basic AND Pilot and the first kid I knew with a modem. If you gave him a few dollars and blank floppys, he'd fill them with games he pulled off the BBS. I probably had over 200 games. 95% were pirated. Only about 15% of the 200 were any good.

Most other systems I've owned, I had to pay for myself, so I bought them at the end of their life cycle at deep discounts - 2600, NES, Sega Genesis, PS1, PS2. The most modern system I have is a Nintendo Wii. Since I'm cheap (2 kids in college), I rely on VGC to tell me which B+ & above games I should get.

My son is on an eSports team in college and plays Rocket League for his University. He laughs when he sees me plinking around on my Atari but I remind him that I'm an OG and got in on video games on the ground floor.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » September 10th, 2022, 11:49 pm

LuckyWDFN wrote:I'm 51. Besides the Sears Tele-games Pong, my first system was a Bally Astrocade. Blessing and a curse - great system that really excelled at 2 player games but all of my friends had 2600s.

My elementary school had 2 Atari 800s and the media guy would wheel them into our classroom so we could play Caverns of Mars or Lemonade Stand on special occasions. In 5th grade he told us there would come a day when computers could talk to each other and that you would be able to type something and then send it your friend's computer across the country and they could read it instantly... like a letter. We all thought he was crazy.

Most of my 80s gaming was done on an Atari 800xl. I still have it, I still play it. I got it for Christmas then got a paper route to earn the disk drive. The movie War Games came out and I had this friend who was super smart but a bit of a renegade. He knew how to program Basic AND Pilot and the first kid I knew with a modem. If you gave him a few dollars and blank floppys, he'd fill them with games he pulled off the BBS. I probably had over 200 games. 95% were pirated. Only about 15% of the 200 were any good.

Most other systems I've owned, I had to pay for myself, so I bought them at the end of their life cycle at deep discounts - 2600, NES, Sega Genesis, PS1, PS2. The most modern system I have is a Nintendo Wii. Since I'm cheap (2 kids in college), I rely on VGC to tell me which B+ & above games I should get.

My son is on an eSports team in college and plays Rocket League for his University. He laughs when he sees me plinking around on my Atari but I remind him that I'm an OG and got in on video games on the ground floor.

man i miss Atari warez BBS's...very first game i downloaded with my 300 baud modem was Buck Rogers by Sega...in fact i still love playing a lot of those Atari 8 bit games to this day even more so than the C64

GeoX

Postby GeoX » September 11th, 2022, 8:38 am

I’m 57. Remember you are only as old as the women you feel!
Learned programing on TRS-80s at high school.
First computer was a 99$ Sinclair in 82.
My favorite computer of all time, the Atari 800xl I got in 83.
I got a Sears Intellivision in 81 which I liked a lot. I then got a Colecovision (and 2600 adapter) in 82 which I LOVED! I picked up a Genesis too but I have no memory of when.
I bought a Sega Game Gear on which I played the baseball game to death but a few years later I gave it to a nephew which I still kick myself for doing.
I drifted away from consoles after that becoming a pc only gamer for many years before I bought a Dreamcast which reignited my passion for consoles. When I found this website it was a dream come true really fueling my desire to play every console out there!

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » September 11th, 2022, 9:23 am

53 here, although using GeoX's age system I guess I'm really 49 ;-)

As a kid I think our first video game system was probably the old Atari Pong console, although ours was a Sears knock-off. It could play four variations of Pong games. From there we got an Atari 2600, then a Commodore VIC-20, followed eventually by a Commodore-64. After that I was on my own to get whatever gaming fix I wanted, but pretty much moved from the C-64 to PC gaming and have remained there, largely, ever since.

After having kids of my own, I ended up buying or otherwise accumulating an Atari 2600, SNES, Genesis, PS1, PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, Nintendo 64, GameCube, Wii, Gameboy Advanced, Gameboy DS, Turbografx-16, and Dreamcast. Several of those were consoles I purchased as either gifts for the family as a whole, kids in particular, or simply because I wanted one. I also have multiple units of some of them... I think I have a total of two PS1's, two Dreamcasts, two GameCube's, three Xbox 360's, and possibly up to four original Xbox consoles. I've played around with putting emulators in the Xbox and Wii systems, turning them into more 'multipurpose' gaming machines while still maintaining their abilities to play their original games. I gifted one modded Xbox to the Critic that he still breaks out from time to time, most recently for his Batman set of reviews I believe as it contained an Arcade Batman game that is was never released on any console or something like that?

I've also setup a couple of Raspberry Pi's to be emulation gaming machines as well, but after doing a couple of them and playing with them for a short while they've been put away in some random box, I guess I was just messing around to see what could be done with them more than anything else.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » September 11th, 2022, 12:01 pm

I remember there were one or two people older than me. From what Dave has said I think we are right about at the same age. 52. That is my guess anyway.

Back around 1977 my parents bought my brother and I a pong console. I don't remember exactly what it was but I think it was a telestar system. In 1980 we got the much awaited Atari 2600. We each got to pick two games. I picked Adventure and my brother picked Asteroids as he couldn't get enough of it in the arcades. Boy I made a splendid pick and enjoyed that so much. Next I moved on to a C64. Good memories. I actually skipped the NES and the Master system. So I was actually game free for a couple of years. Then I saw Madden on the Genesis and had to have it. After the Genesis where the Sega CD and 32x. Then the PlayStation, then the PS2 and finally the Xbox 360. I just really haven't had any interest in the new consoles. As far as good looking stuff, I see the newer consoles and they d.on't really impress me and look not much far. ahead of my 360. I really look forward to reading the second gen reviews. They are so much fun to remember. Anyway that's my story.

Return to “Video Games General”