PS5 reviews

General and high profile video game topics.
ThePixelatedGenocide

Re: PS5 reviews

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » October 20th, 2022, 10:48 pm

Matchstick wrote:If I'm following you correctly, would you say today's "Next Generation" is less about how games look, but more about how they perform? And also changing the way we access and play older titles?

Apologies for not seeing this sooner. Yes, exactly this. Check out what a top tier developer can achieve on the Switch (right) vs. a 2020 PS4 title. (left)

The textures and lighting are compromised, but only his make-up artist cares. In the heat of the moment, on a portable screen? You won't even notice.

Unfortunately, not every developer is as capable as Panic Button.

What you won't see in this screenshot alone, is how those floating Atari graphics beneath the Switch ship on the left popped into view the exact moment I took this picture. Or how many of the details on the smooth, barren surface look suspiciously like sprites at a distance. Or even the way shadows shimmer like they're made out of analog television snow.

Or the desperate struggle for a stable frame rate.

It's similar to Galaxy Force II on Genesis. Yeah, it's sort of impressive that you're getting anything remotely close to the original, but...

Was it worth it?

This kind of calculation's simply not a factor on more powerful hardware, where you can eventually brute force your way through any technical challenges. Usually, if the developer knows what they're doing and has time to reach their goals, you'll need a stress test to see where the engine falls short.

Unless you're this guy, apparently:

I wouldn't blame an Atari Jaguar for something looking as bad as Skylight FreeRange.

I do believe VR and streaming will be the future, though it may be decades before they've established themselves as the dominant trends in the industry.

Maybe. In many places, cable internet has been getting worse. Comcast's service regularly boots us off, especially if we download anything over a few hundred meg, no matter how much we pay them for unlimited.

And VR, while I love it, is a workout that makes long gaming sessions a challenge, even if you do have enough space. And can deal with the motion sickness. How far can the audience expand?

My own wild prediction is that we'll start seeing AAA companies building up assets they can reuse in future games, and this will hopefully encourage more creativity, since they won't be starting from scratch every new console generation.

Imagine a world where virtual antiques exist, forever looking as new as the day they were created?

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » October 21st, 2022, 2:31 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:My own wild prediction is that we'll start seeing AAA companies building up assets they can reuse in future games, and this will hopefully encourage more creativity, since they won't be starting from scratch every new console generation.

This. Elder Scrolls 6 has been in development for how long now? 10 years? There are no shortage of digital artists creating innumerable usable assets.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » October 24th, 2022, 10:43 pm

I gave Ghostwire Tokyo a try today, thinking it might be a fun, spooky title to enjoy for Halloween. It's a first person shooter with enemies inspired by Japanese myths and urban legends, but turns out it's not a horror game. It was developed by the guy who made Resident Evil 4, though, so the Critic may want to check it out.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » October 24th, 2022, 10:53 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:I gave Ghostwire Tokyo a try today,

I picked it up used it looks interesting to me. My PS5 has run out of room so either new second drive or start deleting stuff. Games have become huge storage hogs.

I am wondering who here has installed a second drive. Apparently the PS5 has room for another stick.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 10th, 2022, 4:25 pm

Playstation 5 review section going up next week!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 22nd, 2022, 8:02 pm

Sorry for the delay, but still looking for the "good" PS5 game to review!

Is Cyberpunk not yet available for the PS5??

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » November 22nd, 2022, 9:58 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Is Cyberpunk not yet available for the PS5??

Just get the cheaper PS4 version and the installed game will be the PS5 version. It will have all the PS5 bells and whistles latched on. $20 new vs $70. This will not be a PS4/PS5 clash. On a PS4 the game is dogs***, on a PS5, it is close to the PC game and is very well received (in 2022 and not the bug ridden mess of 2020).

Return to “Video Games General”