New Year's Gaming Resolutions?

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

New Year's Gaming Resolutions?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » December 31st, 2022, 10:17 pm

Anybody got any resolutions for the new year that are gaming related? For me, I'm going to try to focus on beating all the games I already have instead of constantly looking for other games to buy.

Herschie

Re: New Year's Gaming Resolutions?

Postby Herschie » December 31st, 2022, 10:44 pm

I'm going to try and come up with a way to get my wife to let me play more.

DialSforSam

Postby DialSforSam » January 1st, 2023, 1:34 pm

I'm going to TRY to finish a lot of games that I have right now. So some good stuff like the RE4 Remake, Suikoden 1 & 2 HD remasters, etc. might have to take a back seat.

jon

Postby jon » January 1st, 2023, 2:16 pm

Beat Viewpoint on MVS difficulty on one credit. Might have a better chance of winning the lottery.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » January 1st, 2023, 3:38 pm

This is the year I might give modern gaming a fair shake. Maybe even a AAA title or two, if there's any worthy of the name.

Might. Maybe. I'm already off to a good start.

So far, I might have spent all of 2023 playing Star Wars: Lethal Alliance for the PSP instead. And Trevor McFur. In fact, I'm probably going back to the Jaguar's least defensible shmup as soon I finish this post.

But Dr. Litch is attempting an intervention. And he's making a great case for playing something actually good, for a change. Even if they were released in the past decade and aren't fighting games or dying simulators. (It's hard to call something a walking simulator if you spend as much time drowning and flying off of swingsets - or simply dating ghosts - as actual walking.)

I might be a bit more excited to see what I've been missing out on than I'm willing to admit.
Last edited by ThePixelatedGenocide on January 1st, 2023, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jackj5000

Postby jackj5000 » January 1st, 2023, 4:17 pm

Maybe play a little less. Got some projects around the house that needs done.

Teddybear

Postby Teddybear » January 2nd, 2023, 8:18 am

I am going to really give an honest and thorough effort in learning (and playing) the Atari 2600 Space Shuttle and Tomcat: F-14 Simulator carts. Normally I play all my video games sitting in a recliner several feet away from a 36" TV but I will be setting up a smaller TV on the bar top as to have close access to the VCS console controls that these games require.

Mighty goals, I know.......

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » January 2nd, 2023, 8:05 pm

Teddybear wrote:I am going to really give an honest and thorough effort in learning (and playing) the Atari 2600 Space Shuttle and Tomcat: F-14 Simulator carts. Normally I play all my video games sitting in a recliner several feet away from a 36" TV but I will be setting up a smaller TV on the bar top as to have close access to the VCS console controls that these games require.

Please let us know how it goes, if you do. The entire genre seems aggressively ignored.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 3rd, 2023, 5:07 pm

I'd really like to get rid of my backlog of reviews. I probably have 100+ reviews in a semi-finished state!

Teddybear

Postby Teddybear » January 30th, 2023, 11:55 am

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:
Teddybear wrote:I am going to really give an honest and thorough effort in learning (and playing) the Atari 2600 Space Shuttle and Tomcat: F-14 Simulator carts. Normally I play all my video games sitting in a recliner several feet away from a 36" TV but I will be setting up a smaller TV on the bar top as to have close access to the VCS console controls that these games require.

Please let us know how it goes, if you do. The entire genre seems aggressively ignored.

Hand to heart, I really, really gave these games my best effort and full attention for a few hours.

Space Shuttle - While attempting to read the manual several times, I had to reassure myself that I am a grown adult of average intelligence and that there is no shame in not understanding a single damn thing that I'm reading. Undeterred, I pressed on and even printed off the VCS 4-switch command template that is available on Atari Age. Certainly once I started actually playing the game things would make sense, right? This is the Atari 2600 so it really can't be that complicated, right?

Wrong as wrong can be! I am grateful that this cart provided a full-run demo that I was able to just watch and appreciate the cool effects and graphics of climbing into space in the shuttle. It would have been sweet to see the moon while in orbit but perhaps the space shuttle doesn't fly that high into the atmosphere. What do I really know about our space program, any ways?!?! Without the demo, I would have never gotten off the California ground.

F-14 Tomcat - Now this game was a thrilling experience! While the manual still contained words and terms that I'll never understand you are able to launch your jet off the aircraft carrier with a little practice. Just having the crewman salute you when you're ready to take off is worth popping this cartridge in. Beautiful graphics (flying over the ocean is unbelievable) and sound (this game really does a fine job of making you feel like you're in the cockpit) take a back seat to the tension of seeing an approaching bogey. Equally impressive is how the enemy plane scales in and out on the screen. I was lucky to hit a couple of my targets but then this game gets frustrating when you have to return to the ship to refuel.

The VGC's reviews of these games are dead-on accurate and reflective of what most gamers will experience in trying to play these two carts. These types of simulations are not my cup of tea but I certainly can appreciate the amazing detail and quality both games offer (especially F-14). It is almost tragic.....how come Absolute Entertainment made such a great flight game but totally botched Pete Rose and their wrestling game?

Return to “Video Games General”