Greatest Easter Eggs?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Greatest Easter Eggs?

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 15th, 2023, 11:16 am

I know Easter is still a few months off, but I was thinking it might be cool to create an "Easter Egg" special, perhaps presented with bright Easter colors.

Good idea? If so, I need your help. I need ideas!

The first Easter Egg I encountered was on Adventure for the Atari 2600. Yes, we're talking about the very first Easter Egg. You collect enough items to break thru a wall, to find a hidden room with the message "Created by Warren Robinette". This may have been the singular highlight of my life, especially since I found it myself.

It made quite the impression! So help me make a list of the very best, more interesting Easter Eggs.

Robotrek

Re: Greatest Easter Eggs?

Postby Robotrek » January 15th, 2023, 11:40 am

The Vice City Easter Egg is hilarious to me. You know, the one that's LITERALLY AN EASTER EGG.

Getting to the top of a bridge in San Andreas to read "There are no Easter Eggs up here" was pretty fun, too.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » January 15th, 2023, 8:10 pm

The Zybourne Clock bit in Fallout: New Vegas, which is the funniest thing in the world if you get it. (If you aren't in on it, God help me, I'm not the one to change that.)

zetax

Postby zetax » January 15th, 2023, 8:37 pm

I smell a new banner brewing... :D

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 16th, 2023, 12:38 pm

zetax wrote:I smell a new banner brewing... :D

I like the sound of that!!

Crummylion

Postby Crummylion » January 18th, 2023, 12:50 pm

LucasArts Games is pretty shameless with it. One game that comes to mind, The Dig, stars Robert Patrick of Terminator 2 fame as space commander Boston Lowe. If you check your PDA enough times, he'll refer to it as his T-1000. There's another Terminator 2 reference, or a Wayne's World reference. When you ask where one of the crew members is at, he'll ask "have you seen this boy?" Confusing the other crew member. One LucasArts easter egg that's more shameless are the Sam and Max cameos sprinkled out in some of the games, even the non-point and click games iirc. Steven Purcell was an artist for the company, so he and maybe other devs saw fit to put his work into the games until they finally made Sam and Max Hit the Road.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » January 18th, 2023, 4:15 pm

I absolutely love the very first Easter egg in history, from Adventure for Atari 2600. Basically, Atari back then was a notoriously crappy company that didn't like to give credit to their devs for the hard work they put into the games we love, so Warren decided to give himself credit anyways. That's incredibly badass and one of the greatest middle fingers in video game history, and I love it!
Attachments
00easteregg-atari-jumbo.jpg
00easteregg-atari-jumbo.jpg (33.93 KiB) Viewed 373 times

djc

Postby djc » January 19th, 2023, 1:05 am

Superman in the Sega Master System version of Choplifter is never talked about but it's an awesome easter egg.

On the first level, between the first and second (or maybe second and third) prisoner house there is what I believe is a missile silo (the second one) that releases what I can only describe as floating bombs into the sky. If you land at the base of it and slightly hover and shoot at it repeatedly destroying the bombs as soon as they release, eventually you will see superman (seriously) fly straight up out of it into the sky.

Once you see that, the prisoners you are trying to rescue will now run twice as fast.

scotland

Postby scotland » January 19th, 2023, 10:12 am

Not sure if this counts, but Lucasfilm's Rescue on Fractalus was first designed for the Atari 8-bt computers and the Atari 5200. I don't see what Atari could do about third party games, but Lucasfilm supposedly hid the initials of the programmers in the alien's shirt by rotating them 90 degrees to look like squiggles.
jaggie.JPG
jaggie.JPG (24.22 KiB) Viewed 295 times

You can see CFKL sideways for Carpenter, Fox, Kellner and Langston, the programmers.

LuckyWDFN

Postby LuckyWDFN » January 19th, 2023, 2:38 pm

I think Adventure's Easter Egg is the greatest. A cool one, IMO, is being able to play the Atari 2600 Pitfall in Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure for Genesis (and others).

Return to “Video Games General”