Site color scheme change?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 25th, 2005, 7:18 pm

Guys,
I received the following email from the reader who doesn't like the site's black background.  Does anyone else feel this way?  If so, what alternatives would you recommend, dark gray?

The original message follows:

While I cannot change your mind about some games you reviewed, I would
like to offer up some recommendations for your site otherwise. First
and foremost: would it at all be possible to lose that hideous,
text-sucking, eye-killing black background? I'm asking nicely for the
sake of my and thousands of others who cast their eyeballs upon your
domain.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » May 25th, 2005, 9:27 pm

No never change it.  The green on black is nice and easy to read.  I'm very tired of sites with pretty yet IMPOSSIBLE TO READ micro-font.

Funkmaster V

Postby Funkmaster V » May 25th, 2005, 10:38 pm

I love the lay out of the site, Dave.... including the color scheme. The only suggestion I would have is maybe change the font to be a little thicker, but other than that.... it's all awesome. Looks independent, but not cheap.

Cousin Vinnie

Crevalle

Postby Crevalle » May 25th, 2005, 11:34 pm

I wouldn't want the site to change its background--it's perfect, and easy on the eyes.  I really like the black--it looks great, and brings out the colors/text much better than a lighter-colored background. 

I think it's funny that the person who sent you that e-mail claims to speak for thousands of visitors.  What a joke.

ITGRRR

Postby ITGRRR » May 26th, 2005, 9:06 am

I love it the way it is.

ITGRRR

Postby ITGRRR » May 26th, 2005, 9:11 am

I forgot to mention that Black is the easiest color on the eyes. The computer monitor emmits less radiation when the screen is black. Why do you think DOS and Autocad have a black background with white text and not the other way around?

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » May 26th, 2005, 9:42 am

I suppose alien text on blue....<:

Seriously, black is the best BG color. Don't change it!

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » May 26th, 2005, 1:22 pm

Eye-killing black background?  That is an oxymoron if I ever saw one.

Please leave it the way it is so I don't get the behind-the-eyeball headaches that I get from other sites.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » May 26th, 2005, 3:43 pm

Yeah i remember some guy's neo geo site was in cursive yellow with a blue back round.  Yeah because that wasent impossible to read.

Space Guppy

Postby Space Guppy » May 26th, 2005, 3:50 pm

Although the black and green gives me a subtle X-Box vibe, I've never detected any bias.  Most of us have come to identify the site by its very color scheme.  Changing it to appease a single jerk's opinion seems silly, at best.  If in doubt, put up a poll.  Looks like the balance is already in favor of the "dark side"...

P.S.   black is a great contrast color, it doesn't hurt the eyes at all.  That dude is no optometrist. 

Return to “Video Games General”