Things You Will Never Forgive Game Companies For

General and high profile video game topics.
GStratos

Re: Things You Will Never Forgive Game Companies For

Postby GStratos » May 24th, 2024, 9:35 am

For me it's two companies that I actually don't play a lot of games from, and one I do: Konami for what they have become, a company heavily focused on gambling products and releasing games on the "Apple Arcade" system instead of on consoles or PCs like every other normal developer. The other company is Gameloft, I don't play a lot of their games but they've become a market leader in microtransactions-fueled games, despite releasing some decent games back in the day such as Castle of Magic for the DS.

The company I *do* play games from that I cannot forgive is Ubisoft, for the way they've shoving online-only features in their games such as Steep or The Crew, killing off good single player experiences just because they want to stop you from owning the actual games. It's sad because I do think games like The Crew or Riders Republic are pretty neat, but they have timebombs attached to them. There's even currently a legal case against Ubisoft to get their practices examined by the courts over this.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » May 24th, 2024, 12:14 pm

Whenever a company releases a new console. And they only include one controller and no pack in game. Ugh!

Nevermind

Postby Nevermind » May 24th, 2024, 2:27 pm

Nintendo for joy-con drift. Having faced the fault, I bought a couple of 8BitDo controllers. Happy with them and won’t be investing any more time and money in joy-cons.

Voor

Postby Voor » May 24th, 2024, 3:19 pm

lynchie137 wrote:Whenever a company releases a new console. And they only include one controller and no pack in game. Ugh!

I know. At least have an optional bundle. These days, could include a $75 digital bucks to go towards free download.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » May 26th, 2024, 1:12 am

Voor wrote:
lynchie137 wrote:Whenever a company releases a new console. And they only include one controller and no pack in game. Ugh!

I know. At least have an optional bundle. These days, could include a $75 digital bucks to go towards free download.

Yes. That would be at least something. But I think we both know that a lot of companies won't do that. Instead, they expect you to pay 600-700 bucks for a console, then another 70 bucks for a second controller, and then another 70 bucks or so for a game. Greedy greedy greedy, and one of the things that really turned me off gaming for such a long time....

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 26th, 2024, 7:18 pm

How about how Sony hindered the release of 2D games for the original Playstation because they wanted all of its games to look "cutting-edge".

Today Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is regarded as one of the best (if not THE best) game for the system. And it's held up extremely well compared to most 3D PS1 games.

Imagine how many other fun 2D titles were lost due to Sony's short-sighted policies.

nesfan

Postby nesfan » May 26th, 2024, 8:27 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:How about how Sony hindered the release of 2D games for the original Playstation because they wanted all of its games to look "cutting-edge".

Today Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is regarded as one of the best (if not THE best) game for the system. And it's held up extremely well compared to most 3D PS1 games.

Imagine how many other fun 2D titles were lost due to Sony's short-sighted policies.
That was Sony's American branch's stupid policy. Japan got some great 2D games like the Adventures of Little Ralph, Harmful Park, and Gunner's Heaven/Rapid Reload. I sure wish we could have gotten them here in America.

Eric

Postby Eric » May 27th, 2024, 5:15 am

I think the whole idea of not being able to own the game, and then eventually having support end is a mistake. I think I get where they’re coming from. I remember when old arcade games started getting rereleased in the early 2000’s. It seemed for a while like they were going to make bank. Then guys started coding emulators all over the place and that seemed to go south quickly. But by controlling franchises with such a heavy hand I feel like they gut recirculation and end up taking money out of their own pockets by not letting old games achieve legend status.

Anchoa79

Postby Anchoa79 » May 28th, 2024, 9:34 am

Rapid Reload wasn't released in the US? At least PAL territory weren't always the "ugly duck" of 80's and 90's era.

jon

Postby jon » May 28th, 2024, 7:02 pm

What I want to know is how far the PS1 could go with 2d. There’s not much to go by other than an extremely great port of Metal Slug X. I’m talking edge of your seat pulsating action on the underground train station among others. There was a member who recently provided facts that the PS1 was basically better at 2d than the Saturn.

But what does that mean idk. The PS1 couldn’t come close to doing Viewpoint well. So I’d say the PS1 was about 80% as good with 2d as the Neo Geo. Games like that Metal Slug X port show that in all likelihood with Sony’s money, they could’ve had some sick 2d games in 1995.

But having said all this, the Jaguar showed the most promise. I mean, the Native demo with that incredibly scary mosquito should’ve been doable as a game by that time if not for the Jag’s limitations. I think part of Sony’s 3d only strategy was it saw how sorry their competitors were at 2d and just said who cares. It’s great to revise history but let’s not act like the Saturn was selling like hot cakes and a huge threat Bc of its 2d games.

Return to “Video Games General”