Have a question for you, Dave?

General and high profile video game topics.
RememberShaqFu?

Postby RememberShaqFu? » June 11th, 2005, 12:34 am

Not that I really mind(I don't), but why do you have the strict "no-profanity" rule for your site? I'm assuming that everybody on this site is either in their upper teens or a full grown adult...also, based on some of your more "colorful" reviews, I'm assuming that you probably use the language when you're away from the site. As I've said, I don't really care but I'm just curious. Thanks!

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » June 11th, 2005, 6:49 am

..sorry to jump in here, but I want to say I find the no-profanity rule refreshing. Every site you go to it's
either F* this or F* that or toilet humour.

For once, it is proven one can have mature discussions
without mature content!

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » June 11th, 2005, 8:57 am

Profanity does not bother me in the slightest and some reviews need them.  Like you really cant review a hentai game with out swearing a lot.  Swearing about how much you hate the game and your life you know that kind of thing.

Robert Johnson

Postby Robert Johnson » June 11th, 2005, 10:01 am

One reason why Dave has a "No Cussing" rule on this site and it's forums is because of the possibility of little kids going to this site to read the reviews.

Chicken Warrior

Postby Chicken Warrior » June 11th, 2005, 8:06 pm

I started coming here when I was like, 11 or 12. I don't see any reason for allowing blatant swearing, even though even kids here such words at school every day.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 26th, 2005, 4:39 pm

Profanity is strictly off-limits on this site, because as another reader mentioned, many readers may be under-18.  Plus, review sites that use profanity have no credibility with me.  There are other, more imaginative ways of getting your point across without offending people.  My use of the [expletive] annotation is also how major newspapers and magazines handle profanity (in quotes).

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » June 27th, 2005, 11:05 am

..hmmmm....in your world stadium events review for
the TG-16 you said "F-ing!" instead of your usual
(expletive) and even said it was "sorry-ASS!"

Perhaps that vacation was not quite restfull?

Michael Danehy

Postby Michael Danehy » June 27th, 2005, 1:57 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]Profanity is strictly off-limits on this site, because as another reader mentioned, many readers may be under-18.  Plus, review sites that use profanity have no credibility with me.  There are other, more imaginative ways of getting your point across without offending people.  My use of the [expletive] annotation is also how major newspapers and magazines handle profanity (in quotes).
[/QUOTE]

I don't get why we go on pretending that kids are more naive than they actually are. Maybe an especially sheltered Amish kid under the age of 18 has never heard of the F-word before? Such a kid won't have access to computers anyways.

The best thing about the "no profanity" rule is not that it protects the supposed innocence of minors, but that it prevents the forum from degenerating into the inane flamewars and senseless profanity for the sake of profanity that you see all over the internet. It helps keeps things classy.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 27th, 2005, 5:57 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]..hmmmm....in your world stadium events review for
the TG-16 you said "F-ing!" instead of your usual
(expletive) and even said it was "sorry-ASS!"

Perhaps that vacation was not quite restfull?[/QUOTE]

Actually I borrowed that quote from my buddy Scott, who said it exactly like that, complete with the abbreviated "F-ing" part.  I found it so amusing that I decided to keep it intact for the review. 

For you kids out there, F-ing is short for Freakin', and an ass is a donkey.  Glad we cleared that up.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » June 27th, 2005, 8:55 pm

You bet your F-ing Ass we did!!!!!<:<:<:

Return to “Video Games General”