How's anyone feel about plug-n-plays?

General and high profile video game topics.
BigOldCar

Postby BigOldCar » April 20th, 2007, 11:18 pm

When I asked about what systems folks have hooked up, a few people besides me mentioned they had one of those plug-n-plays.  I myself have a Konami model I bought thinking it would play some iteration of the arcade version of Rush-n-Attack (in fact, it just does NES roms); a bootleg NES job (50,000 Games In One!); and I just picked up a C=64 in a stick for $3.00 on clearance at Kay Bee.  (If it hadn't been the last one, I'd have bought one for my sister and another to experimentally hack.)

Meanwhile, the PacMan-Bosconian-Galaga-PolePosition one catches my eye every time I go into the store.

Anyone have any feelings one way or the other?

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » April 20th, 2007, 11:57 pm

These are ok for people who don't have the games, but I find them more of a hassle then old game carts or compilations. They are not aimed at hardcore players, but general consumers who don't have a system they can get a better compilation disc for.

I bought one of those cheapy "X" in one game pads that plays crummy old NES roms and gave it away. The Namco and Taito and Atari ones are ok though.

If you really want to play Rush n' Attack, it's on the old Arcade Classics GBA cart and upcoming DS version,too, I think.

Sudz1

Postby Sudz1 » April 21st, 2007, 2:29 pm

I may have bought the same NES "emulator" plug-n-play controller that you did!  I guess it's not TOO bad if you have no other option, but the audio is horrible (constant loud buzz) and the controller itself doesn't completely mimick the original.  Basically if you have the originals or could see yourself getting the originals, I wouldn't bother.
Sudz

Leo Ames

Postby Leo Ames » April 21st, 2007, 5:38 pm

I like some of the ones I have. The Flashback II is generally put into this category and is great, the gamekey Ms. Pac-Man stick is great as is the Super Pac-Man stick, and the C64 one is pretty nice (As far as games go, the actual quality of the controllers on all three are lacking). The Intellivision one and Atari 2600 joysticks are sucky.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » April 21st, 2007, 6:48 pm

The secoond Namco one has the only playable home port of Pole Position I've seen, that's got to count for something. The ball on the top of the joystick can be twisted, you use this as a wheel. Works wonders.

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » April 21st, 2007, 8:15 pm

That's funny, I was going to start a thread about this.  I was wondering if there were any good plug n plays out there.  I have a Tetris one that is a lot of fun, especially when playing with another player.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » April 21st, 2007, 9:18 pm

Ah yeah, the Namco ones are loads of fun if you for some odd reason don't own any Museum titles.

First one has Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Galaxian, Rally-X and Bosconian, second has Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga, Xevious, Mappy and Pole Position.

They both sadly delete hi scores when powered off, though.

Leo Ames

Postby Leo Ames » April 21st, 2007, 9:20 pm

The two Namco ones I mentioned save your high scores, and in some ways are better than the console collections unless you have arcade sticks for those consoles.

Harry

Postby Harry » April 21st, 2007, 10:20 pm

The nes 5,000-in-one that I got was really just about 50 games repeated 100 times.  But it did have a slot in the bottom to plug carts into that, of course, didn't work.  Oh well, it was only $15 bucks.

a1

Postby a1 » April 22nd, 2007, 1:55 am

I have the Atari one (the joystick not the flashback), and the Genesis light gun plug and play (can't remember the name).

Return to “Video Games General”