Classic system repair and upgrade!

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 1st, 2005, 5:00 pm

Guys,

I recently patronized the services of these people:
http://www.oldschoolgamer.ca
who repair and upgrade classic consoles.
I sent my Colecovision to them, which was on the fritz.  Not only did they fix the video and sound, but they upgraded the output to composite AND S-Video!!
The screen used to be marred by RF interference but now the games look crystal clear!  I'd recommend these guys if you have a console is great condition but is having technical difficulties, or if you'd simply like to upgrade your video signal.  The fee for the Colecovision was $80 (not including shipping), but when you consider how much it would cost to get a perfectly working Colecovision on Ebay, it's an easy choice.

Dave

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » August 1st, 2005, 6:32 pm

i might try them out for my 5200 controllers, and have them mod my four port model to separate the AC adapter from the video.

Jackson1

Postby Jackson1 » August 4th, 2005, 8:46 pm

I'll put in a recommendation for this shop too.  I sent my 7800 up there and he sent me back a sweet S-video and composite modded 7800 which works great.

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » August 5th, 2005, 1:11 pm

question, did they mod out the mandatory 12 second intro screen?  i read that this could be removed with a mod of some sort.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » August 5th, 2005, 10:25 pm

The mod I'm aware of doesn't remove it but allows a button press to be used to skip it.

Think I'm going to let them mod my 7800 with the video mod and get a plastic tab from a cart out of the cart slot that broke and got stuck.

Space Guppy

Postby Space Guppy » August 17th, 2005, 3:01 pm

[QUOTE=chrisbid]question, did they mod out the mandatory 12 second intro screen?  i read that this could be removed with a mod of some sort.
[/QUOTE]

that can be altered, there are rom burning services that have removed the checksums from the Coleco BIOS. You'd have to swap the chips and buy a hacked replacement chip, and dust off the old soldering iron. I bought the chip, but haven't gotten around to the actual act of replacement yet. I tore my CV apart last year and gave it a good cleaning and replaced the RF cable with a shielded one from Monster Cable for about 12 bucks. The display is vivid once again. I run it on channel 2 because 3 broadcasts locally, and can cause interference.
A little tinkering with the logic probe to ensure everything is as it should be, and I'm confident I just saved 68 bucks

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » August 19th, 2005, 10:43 am

in addition to running off of channel 2, do you use one of these?

http://www.atariage.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21_28&products_id=42

rather than use one of those manual switch boxes, with this you plug the RF cable directly into the antenna screw on your TV, and the results are much clearer. you can also pick these up at radio shack. you get an awful lot of bang for your buck, rather than going all the way with an AV mod.

Return to “Video Games General”