DS blues

General and high profile video game topics.
Alienblue

DS blues

Postby Alienblue » August 11th, 2005, 2:25 pm

After having my DS awhile, I still love it but am
disgruntled on a couple things:

* WHY OH WHY OH WHY did they put the "power" switch right on top of the control pad? Do you you know how many times I've shut it off unintentionally!?*&^%$!

*Why do you have to turn the system off to get back to the main select screen? It would save wear and tear if there was a reset switch...for heavens sake, even the Atari 2600 had one!

* some games are NOT going to translate well to the rectangular screen dimensions....space invaders anyone?

* Last but not least I'm still miffed that this thing is not compatible with the old GB/GBC software. So now I need to carry two units with me wherever I go, or else choose if I want GBA/DS or GBA/ GB-GBC. I'm no electronics whiz but making this GB-GBC compatible shouldn't be hard...they made a gamecube adaptor!

AHHHHHHH...the light dawns. All these features and more will
be out on the GBADSSP! And more $$$$$$$ for Nintendo!

(I'm still glad I bought it though..anyone managed to save planet
Meteos yet? Those upper levels get wicked fast...)

Zenzerotron

DS blues

Postby Zenzerotron » August 12th, 2005, 12:57 am

The NeoGeo Pocket has the exact same flaw, where the on/off button is placed. However, you have to hold down the button for about 3 seconds before it'll actually shut off. There's a bit of delay on the DS power button, but perhaps not as  much as there should be.

sega saturn x

DS blues

Postby sega saturn x » August 14th, 2005, 10:19 am

[QUOTE] (I'm still glad I bought it though..anyone managed to save planet
Meteos yet? Those upper levels get wicked fast...) [/QUOTE]

You don't save meteo you destroy it.  And i agree with your complaints though i never found any of them to be that big of a bother.

Alienblue

DS blues

Postby Alienblue » August 15th, 2005, 12:34 am

...So you beat Meteos, SSX? I'm still on level, what, 14?

I take back what I said about space invaders. Obviously they could put the invaders on screen top, like the wicked
fun bomb dropping minigame on Mario DS.(tip: a lot of these
games, like this, control easier with your (CLEAN!) thumb or
soft thumb controller, rather then the stylus.

Still, large characters in fighters are out unless you
cut the poor guys in half! (the screens should have been
a WEEE bit closer together..)

sega saturn x

DS blues

Postby sega saturn x » August 15th, 2005, 8:40 am

I have beat meteos many times over now.  I haven't unlocked everything but beating star trip is easy.  I agree about the fighting game comment the characters woudl have to be small.  since the screens aren't very close together.  I would still love to see a virtua fighter on the ds, come on sega!

Atarifever1

DS blues

Postby Atarifever1 » August 15th, 2005, 1:26 pm

Hey, if the N-Gage can pull this off with it's unusual verticle screen, I'm sure the DS could pull something off.  . 
http://www.gamespot.com/ngage/action/one/screens.html?page=7

Besides, the amount of possibilities for a second screen or having the touch screen in a fighter pretty much require that this happen.  Maybe the characters will be short, but think about how cool multi leveled environments could be with two screens.  Especially if one of those environments was somehow succeptable to the stylus (blocking like in Kirby anyone?  Perhaps moves that can be made more devestating by dragging something into or around the fight)

sega saturn x

DS blues

Postby sega saturn x » August 15th, 2005, 4:17 pm

How cool would it be if you could knock each other through barries and such in to the upper or lower screen?

Atarifever1

DS blues

Postby Atarifever1 » August 15th, 2005, 6:33 pm

[QUOTE=sega saturn x]

How cool would it be if you could knock each other through barries and such in to the upper or lower screen?

[/QUOTE]
That's the kind of thing I'm talking about.  Unlike when someone gets hit into another environemnt in a one screen game there wouldn't even be a change in view for the one doing the hitting (i.e. no camera pull back).  The person would be hit and would seamlesly (except for the one second they disappeared in the spot between screens) fall to the next layer.   I think that would look really cool.  
Perhaps they could even have the "story" (or lack of story as it were) be that the fighters are fighting in a handheld game machine and they wouldn't need to pretend the break between screens or the existence of two screen areas was anyhing other than what it actually was.  Kind of like how the N-Gage has Pocket Kingdom (emphasis on pocket), where there is no story other than the fact that you are trying to take over a videogame map in a handheld game (the characters even talk in leet, so that I often lose to an Ogre who tells me I've been pwned).

Alienblue

DS blues

Postby Alienblue » August 21st, 2005, 11:01 am

Ok, I have now my number one gripe for the DS....why does
this thing last such a short time on power? My SP lasted 20 hours with the backlight the DS lasts only about FIVE! I know it has
two screens but 20/2=10 hours, not five.

Why so short!? Any way to fix this?

Johnson73

DS blues

Postby Johnson73 » August 21st, 2005, 3:03 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]Ok, I have now my number one gripe for the DS....why does
this thing last such a short time on power? My SP lasted 20 hours with the backlight the DS lasts only about FIVE! I know it has
two screens but 20/2=10 hours, not five.

Why so short!? Any way to fix this?[/QUOTE]

You should be getting much more than 5 hours of play.  I usually get 8-10 hrs. playing DS games and 15-20 hrs. playing GBA games.

Did you completely charge your DS before playing it for the first time?  If you did, you probably just have a bad battery.  Since your the DS has a one-year warranty, Nintendo will probably replace your battery for free.  If not, you can buy a replacement for $15.

Return to “Video Games General”