When did you first decide to become a collector?

General and high profile video game topics.
Anonymous Prime

Postby Anonymous Prime » August 30th, 2007, 4:42 pm

Hey, this is for everybody. I just want to know when all of you decided you wanted to collect game systems. you can make it detailed. What was your first game? your first system you EVER played? just write it out i guess. Ill start with me.

ok, when I was about 3 years old, i vaguely remember playing my first game ever, sonic the hedgehog 2, on the genesis. I loved to play the game, but could never get past chemical plant zone. I also remembered the first time I saw a mario game. Mario was an amazing character to me because a long time before i had one fragment of memory of seeing a cartoon of him. I always wanted to play mario whenever i went over to my babysitters house, but I never got to and just watched. It super mario world on SNES. Now, this was preschool. By kindergarten, my aunt had given me the very genesis i played my first game on, after my cousin lost interest. I played aladdin, mickey mouse, the lion king, and sonic all the time, but i didnt know much about gaming. Fast forward to 1st grade, I retrieved my N64, which i still play to this day. this is were i first experience zelda, which is my favorite game series. By...i belive 4th or 5th grade i had my gamecube. This is when i first started getting interested in the oldies. I loved my systems, but I remembered a certain magic playing the old games, so streamlined and colorful. My genesis had sadly vanished by this time, so I was distraught. For years, even after retrieving my ps2, i wanted old games. Finally, one day, i dont know how, IT happened.

I found the video game critic. I came to this site, and I was blown away buy how much he had covered. I read all the game reviews, and learned more about the systems that i had studied so thoroughly (its funny how much i know now...even before critic. in 5th grade i thought RPG was a game system....) but just how affordable it sounded, the ability to collect something I loved so much, was overwhelming.

unfortuanately, my chance had to wait, but it finally manifested itself this year, and this year alone i bought the majority of my vintage collection, and I get to play the games that held such a mystery from me nearly every day.

...So it was vague yeah...i left some stuff out, but if i made that much longer id get shot. lol

Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » August 30th, 2007, 10:30 pm

I don't really consider myself a game collector. 

About 3 years ago I had a dream about a game my cousin gave me when I was about 5 years old.  I couldn't remember the name of the game so I started looking at classic gaming sites to find out what it was called.  I not only found the game on this Website but also got great review about it.  It was Dragonfire for the 2600.  That same day I bought a 2600 on Ebay and bought every game that I could find that the VGC gave an A grade to.   Since I do in fact play these games I don't consider myself a collector. 

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 30th, 2007, 11:13 pm

The first video game I played was Pong in the 1970's.  My first system was the Atari 2600.  I would "trade-up" my systems and games over the years because that was the only way I could afford the new stuff.

In the late 1990's I got on the Internet and started reading about the old games I had loved  as a kid.  When I realized you could still buy them, that's when I began collecting.  It was tough for me to get over the idea of buying used games, but I soon discovered that if I scrubbed the carts down with rubbing alcohol, they were just like new!

Since I was pretty enthusiastic about old systems, I started posting "classic game reviews" on an early version of this site in 1999.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » August 31st, 2007, 2:27 am

[QUOTE=Wallyworld]That same day I bought a 2600 on Ebay and bought every game that I could find that the VGC gave an A grade to.   Since I do in fact play these games I don't consider myself a collector.  [/QUOTE]

Oi, you definitly need to get some B games as well. You're missing out on gems like Atlantis, Beamrider, Circus Atari, Crystal Castle, Fishing Derby, H.E.R.O., Haunted House, Mr. Do, Skiing and Star Master.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » August 31st, 2007, 4:42 am

We've already done gaming histories on here, So I'll just talk about the "me as COLLECTOR" part. It was in the mid 80's, I had had several systems prior and sold them...and REGRETTED it! When I got my ADAM computer I started re-purchasing all the old COLECOVISION games at retail from a place called tele-games. I was determined to hang onto every box, manual and game cart this time! I got some pretty rare games like Atarisoft Jungle Hunt and Galaxian. They are all still minty fresh. But then the NES came out, and since it had better grphics I started collecting NES. Unfortunately, money was tight so for the next few years I did what the VGC did and sold old systems to buy new ones, including computers. But-BUT-as soon as I was able to I bought most systems back, including ones I had already sold. I was one of the first subscribers to the 2600 connection and Digital press, back when they came on paper in the mail! Over the years I realized I really was a video pack-rat as I bought ANYTHING remotely conected to video games, like a VZ200 computer. (no games for it but a nice pair of joysticks!); I scoured garge sales, lawn sales and thrift stores. I got most of my systems back except for the NES...I never found a top-loader, or a front loader that worked. Sadly, by the time ebay came along I was divorced and had no credit anymore, so for now I rarely find and buy old games. But I'll always be a player first and collector second.... I'd rather have PLANET PUZZLE LEAGUE/DS than ELI'S LADDER/2600!

Anonymous Prime

Postby Anonymous Prime » August 31st, 2007, 6:44 pm

well, as for the history....i went overboard there. but you guys are misunderstanding me! I collect old systems to play there games! I play new ones to, though. Right now, I'm getting systems that have games i'd enjoy playing, its gonna be about another 3 vintage systems before I start collecting rarities and oddities. as for getting them in their boxes, i wont get that down to business until i can make a steady paycheck, not doing oddjobs or allowence favors. Im always a gamer first, and my age might prohibit me from loving things like the Atari 2600, but I love the system because of its rich history. GAMER TO THE END

Funkmaster V

Postby Funkmaster V » September 1st, 2007, 2:09 pm

When I first discovered the internet in the 90's, about a month or so in, I was blown away to find a few websites about Atari. What a blast from my past. However, most of the sites about the Atari 7800 sucked. I found out that I owned every game (except 5) for the system before, and then I started buying 7800 games on ebay to review them. I then made a funny website about the 7800 and now it has grown into a monstrocity, becoming the biggest 7800 website on the planet.

I had a Gamecube at the time, and decided never to trade games in... to keep them b/c I spent a fortune rebuying 7800 games that I originally bought for $2 in the early 90's. Wha-La. I have hundreds of Atari games and a hundred Gamecube games. 15 Wii games, tons of Sega and 64 games, etc etc. I've cooled down buying games now b/c of room... but I'm never getting rid of this crap now, 'cause I know I'll rebuy it when I'm 50.

So I guess I'm more of a horder than collector.

FUNK

Return to “Video Games General”