Faveorite system?

General and high profile video game topics.
JustLikeHeaven1

Faveorite system?

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » November 7th, 2005, 12:06 am

Hey John,

Great minds must think alike!  I first played Return Fire on the PS...and only recently have I gone back to get it for my 3DO.  The Playstation version is far better, but its still a quality 3DO game.  I would say the Playstation game is in the A range while the 3DO version would be about a B+.  For instance the Playstation version you can control the camera a little bit, it has much better scrolling and there are more maps included with the game.  There is an expansion pack for the 3DO called Maps O' Death that I will probably purchase.  I hope the Critic takes our advice and reviews this classic game.

On a different topic, I love games like Flashback and Out of this World.  Did you know that Out of this world had a sequel?  I think its called Heart of the Alien and its for the Saturn.  I've never played it, but I would like to know if anyone else has.

John Rowland

Faveorite system?

Postby John Rowland » November 7th, 2005, 12:18 am

I did know about Heart of the Alien actually!  I got Atarifever to get the Sega CD version of Out of This World which also contains it.  I would have got it myself but I don't own a Sega CD.  I'm not sure if he is overly happy with that purchase though.

I have only played the Dos and SNES versions of Out of This World.  How do they stack up?

JustLikeHeaven1

Faveorite system?

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » November 7th, 2005, 12:26 am

Ah yes Heart of the Alien was for the sega cd and not the saturn like a previously mentioned.  Honestly I thought about getting a sega cd just to try that game.  Hey Atarifever what is your verdict of Heart of the Alien?

I've played the 3DO, SNES and Dos versions of Out of This World.  Honestly the 3DO gets the slight nod over the Dos version.  The graphics have been touched up considerably and the game looks beautiful.  Plus the game handles rather well on the 3DO contoller.  Yet the sound isn't as good as the Dos game.  When I first played the 3DO game when the beast jumps down and roars at you in the first level I was very dissapointed in the sound.  That part scared the hell out of me on my PC and it was so weak on the 3DO.  The Snes is still solid, but if you can play the other two versions you might as well.

Atarifever1

Faveorite system?

Postby Atarifever1 » November 7th, 2005, 7:32 am

Hey guys.  I wasn't unhappy with the purchase at all.  However, the underground level started to annoy me with the falling rock part and I just kind of gave up for awhile.  I was just thinking the other day that I'm going to start at it again (now that the frustration has disappeared).  I only played a little bit of HotA because, being that the games are very movie like, I wanted to finish the first game before starting the second one.  The bit of it that I did play was very solid.  I like controlling the alien much more, he seems less retarded than the guy from OotW.  The game is pretty solid on the Sega CD, but I've never played any other version so I have nothing to compare it to.  I will say this: it doesn't look as nice as the Amiga version screenshots I've seen.  The people look really plain on the Sega CD (they don't reallly have facial features or anything).   In any case, if you have a Sega CD, I recommend this game.  For people without the Sega CD, I don't know if it's worth buying one, unless you're a big fan of the game of course.

John Rowland

Faveorite system?

Postby John Rowland » November 7th, 2005, 3:15 pm

Hey Atarifever, I think those Amiga "screenshots" you are talking about are just concept art.  I'm pretty sure the game you're playing looks roughly the same as all of the editions of the game out there. 

Hmm, maybe I should get a 3DO then JustLikeHeaven?  Do you guys think I would get more mileage out of it than a Sega CD?  How much does a 3DO in good condition typically go for?

JustLikeHeaven1

Faveorite system?

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » November 7th, 2005, 4:13 pm

I really don't know if you would get more mileage out of the 3DO or Sega Cd.  As I previously stated I love my 3DO and I still play it all the time.  I think the system gets a bad rap overall, but since most games can be picked up very cheap (I bought Return Fire brand new for a total of $8.00 on ebay) it isnt a bad investment.  I recently purchased a panasonic 3DO for $50.00 and it was in excellent condition.  Don't get a goldstar system though (not all games work with that one), stick with the Panasonic.  Just do a little research on both and find out if there are enough games you are interested on the system to warrant an investment in it.

I'm actually in a similar dilema as I'm thinking about picking up a sega cd.  I'm still not sure if I'll get one, but I think about it more and more each day.

John Rowland

Faveorite system?

Postby John Rowland » November 12th, 2005, 4:23 pm

Hey JustLikeHeaven, have you ever played Heart of Darkness (PS1)?  It's a damn fine play for fans of Out of This World and Flashback.  Damn fine.  Not as groundbreaking but it definitely hits the spot and is more than worthy of a purchase. 

J.M. Vargas

Faveorite system?

Postby J.M. Vargas » November 12th, 2005, 11:28 pm

[QUOTE=John Rowland]

Hey JustLikeHeaven, have you ever played Heart of Darkness (PS1)?  It's a damn fine play for fans of Out of This World and Flashback.  Damn fine.  Not as groundbreaking but it definitely hits the spot and is more than worthy of a purchase.  [/QUOTE]

Here here, Heart of Darkness is the next evolution of the Flashback/Out of this World school of action/platform games.  After HOD (1998) the genre pretty much died because of the onslaught of 3D games coming into vogue around that time on PSOne and the arcades.

And JustLikeHeaven, the Maps 'o Death expansion disc for 3DO contains the missions that were included (along with the original missions) on the PSOne version of Return Fire.  The PSOne version is the complete package of what took two RF releases to complete on 3DO.

JustLikeHeaven1

Faveorite system?

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » November 12th, 2005, 11:34 pm

Funny you should mention Heart of Darkness.  I was just looking for that game on ebay about a week ago.  I was a little skeptical, but you seem to have very good taste when it comes to gaming.  The next chance I get I'll pick it up.

JustLikeHeaven1

Faveorite system?

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » November 25th, 2005, 11:25 pm

Hey John if you want to pick up a nice 3DO system than check out this ebay link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3do-FZ-10-game_W0QQitemZ8237461796QQcategoryZ62053QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is pretty cheap for a system and the way of the warrior complete usually goes for over $25.00 alone.

Return to “Video Games General”