Xbox HL2

General and high profile video game topics.
wur1

Xbox HL2

Postby wur1 » November 15th, 2005, 9:08 pm

Critic,

Are you going to review Half Life 2 for the Xbox soon?  I've expounded my great love for the PC version several times on here, as have many others. 

From what I've heard, it's a decent (albeit not perfect) port.  I'm curious to know what you think... I think it's possible you'll give it an A+, if you give it a fair shake.

wur

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Xbox HL2

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 15th, 2005, 10:44 pm

Is it even out yet?

wur1

Xbox HL2

Postby wur1 » November 15th, 2005, 10:53 pm

I guess it was released today.

Robotrek

Re: Xbox HL2

Postby Robotrek » November 19th, 2018, 11:55 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Is it even out yet?

It's been out 13 years. Go get it, Dave!

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » November 21st, 2018, 12:46 am

It's still a great conversion. Very impressive what the original Xbox was able to do.

People that never played it decided later on that the frame rate was horrible, but as someone that did play through it, I didn't think so. Wasn't silky smooth at all times, but ran well and never turned into a slideshow. Half-Life 2 on the Orange Box for the 360 also had a frame rate with a lot of variance in it, but never got criticized for it.

You won't catch me saying this much, but this old IGN review nailed it.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2005/11/12 ... e-2?page=1

Too bad revisionists have now declared that this was a bad port when in actuality it was perhaps the crowning achievement of the original Xbox, albeit a year too late to generate the fanfare it deserved.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » November 21st, 2018, 1:23 pm

I still view The Orange Box as fantastic value. Portal is definitely worth a playthrough a year, and while they never quite got around to Episode 3, it is a really engrossing play through.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » November 22nd, 2018, 4:30 am

It IS a good conversion. While there are some minor hiccups in frame rate (nothing too horrendous) and some level design changes (some more noticeable than others) it's by-and-large the exact same game. So, still a fantastic romp, and a hell of a time. And best of all, the Xbox version is cheap!

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » November 22nd, 2018, 10:37 am

I still haven't forgiven Dave for posting a review of Portal without finishing it. Few games REQUIRE a full playthrough to grasp what the game is REALLY about like the original Portal. I think he would easily bump it up a full letter and a half if he were to see what awaits him in the second act...

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » November 23rd, 2018, 6:17 pm

I wasn't aware of any level changes to Half-Life 2 on the original Xbox. Must be pretty subtle since it's the first I've heard of it.

I'll have to keep my eyes open since I want to give it a spin soon after only playing the 360 and PC versions for the better part of 15 years now, since first playing HL2 on the original Xbox. I'm pretty familiar with the game now, so probably will spot such changes.

Any examples of things to look out for?

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » November 24th, 2018, 12:06 am

Atariboy wrote:I wasn't aware of any level changes to Half-Life 2 on the original Xbox. Must be pretty subtle since it's the first I've heard of it.

I'll have to keep my eyes open since I want to give it a spin soon after only playing the 360 and PC versions for the better part of 15 years now, since first playing HL2 on the original Xbox. I'm pretty familiar with the game now, so probably will spot such changes.

Any examples of things to look out for?

Some transitional scenes are off. Like the area where the shells first come down with the headcrabs, it's all condensed. Some areas with explosive barrels, there are way less. Look at some longplays, it'll shed some light on what's thrown off.

Return to “Video Games General”