Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

General and high profile video game topics.
Sut

Re: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Postby Sut » October 28th, 2018, 9:52 am

Not sure how I missed the librarian it’s fairly obvious. Lesson learnt make sure every entrance is searched.
I do like the aesthetics and the gameplay is tight.
Guess I’m just used to more linear games.

The only other Castlevania games I’ve played for a reasonable amount of time are Bloodlines and Rondo of Blood - both excellent titles. Once I’m through with SOTN I really want to go back and play Super Castlevania 4 if it’s as good as it’s 16-bit breathen that should be worth waiting for.

Alucard1191 wrote:If you aren't even finding save points I don't know what to say.

That wasn’t me that was the OP.

Hagane

Postby Hagane » October 28th, 2018, 11:00 am

Voor wrote:I’m hoping it’s on the PS1 Classic, because I’d like to finally try it. I love super Metroid, but it has the same issue. Thankfully, the level design is so great, that traversing through the areas is bearable. Sounds like SOTN is the same.

I prefer “linear but hard” platformers, or games like Mega Man, that are linear, but give you a little room to make decisions.

Interesting, because that's the reason why many people prefer the classic Castlevania style, they have better level design, more challenges, more traps, plataforming and little room for error, they are more about what challenges the stages layout has to offer.

On the other hand those Castlevania Metroidvania style are more about killing enemies, grinding to gain experience points, the plataforming is secondary, almost non-existing, the stages are more "open", you'll spend more time traversing infinite hallways and long stairs, rarelly you will find challenging stage layouts on the maps.

Sut

Postby Sut » November 2nd, 2018, 2:57 pm

I’ve been playing the PSOne classic version on Vita, then realised I have it on Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles so tried it on that.

I’m having a lot better time with that version probably mainly down to a better button configuration, on the PSOne Classic version I had to use the back touch screen which is never great.

So this small change has actually helped get me engrossed in the game along with now knowing what to expect ie not a typical (for the time) Castlevania game.

Sut

Postby Sut » November 11th, 2018, 10:37 am

I take it all back this game is great. I thought the exploring would get boring but it’s incredibly addictive.
I’m a late comer to the Castlevania series and this is the third game I’ve played (the others Bloodlines and Rondo) they’ve all been excellent definitely Super Castlevania next.

As an aside has anyone played the Vampire Killer game on MSX as I believe that was the first game, just beating the first NES game. Tempted to go try that one (on an emulator though I don’t have an MSX).

Return to “Video Games General”