Xbox 360 Reviews??

General and high profile video game topics.
Crevalle

Xbox 360 Reviews??

Postby Crevalle » November 29th, 2005, 12:40 am

[QUOTE=Atarifever][QUOTE=Crevalle]

(what’s up with all the short games?)

I have a theory about all these “short” games.  I follow video game stocks quite closely, and they (specifically THQ, Activision, and EA) would like to boost game prices to $60 this generation.  This isn’t speculation—Robert Kotick at Activision has actually said this is the plan, and we can see it at the stores.  It’s no secret.  But, not all games are $60.  My theory is (and this is not rocket science) that, since there are two ways to boost profits (either increase revenue OR decrease expenses), game makers are opting to reduce spending rather than start every game at $60.  In other words, less time spent creating a game equates lower expenses.  Think how much cheaper it is to create an eight-hour game as opposed to a 20 hours game.  Who knows, maybe this “short” game thing isn’t a trend, but I’m getting a bit frustrated.  Quake IV, GUN, PDZ, King Kong, Kameo—the list is growing.  Call of Duty 2 is the only next gen title I know of that is long (15+ hours).[/QUOTE]

You have just increased my desire for the next generation.  If they kept a large portion of games at current prices while decreasing their length, I'd be very happy indeed.   I'd like an occasional long game as much as anyone, but throw in a couple different ways to upgrade weapons and a minigame or something and I'll be happy with one I can finish in 8 hours.  Generally a few hours of good action beats incredibly long repeditive action anyday.  That's why I actually like on the rails games and dislike sandbox games.  Have you taken ay of it online yet, or are you planning to?

[/QUOTE]

I agree that substance is more important than length when it comes to games, but there's just something about being able to finish a game in two days that's just, I don't know, disappointing for me.  I guess it's because I'm not much of a "replay" guy.  I was absolutely captivated by Resident Evil 4, but after I beat it, I never touched it again.  That's just me.

Nope, I haven't taken my games online yet, because our broadband out here isn't fast enough (via satellite).  But, in Feb we'll finally be set up with ultra-fast connection speeds.  I think Call of Duty 2 would be pretty sweet on XBL.  Did you know Microsoft awards you points for finishing games, surpassing score thresholds, etc?  It's pretty cool.  Apparently, you can accumulate the points and purchase things on XBL like classic arcade games, certain demos, etc.  I'm looking forward to seeing what they have available.  Apparently you can even buy points (a lady at work bought her boyfriend $20 worth of points as a gift).  He's going to play through Kameo again just to get another 1,500 points.  Kind of a new spin on games, I guess.

Sketch Turner

Xbox 360 Reviews??

Postby Sketch Turner » November 29th, 2005, 8:02 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever]

You have just increased my desire for the next generation.  If they kept a large portion of games at current prices while decreasing their length, I'd be very happy indeed.   I'd like an occasional long game as much as anyone, but throw in a couple different ways to upgrade weapons and a minigame or something and I'll be happy with one I can finish in 8 hours.  Generally a few hours of good action beats incredibly long repeditive action anyday.  That's why I actually like on the rails games and dislike sandbox games.  Have you taken ay of it online yet, or are you planning to?

[/QUOTE]

I don't care for length. I beat most of my games in a couple days. When someone says a game like Resident Evil 4 is short, it just boggles my mind

I used to play nothing but 50-hour games, but my patience has dwindled. I play games just as much as I used to, I guess my tastes just shifted. Weird.

JustLikeHeaven1

Xbox 360 Reviews??

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » November 29th, 2005, 9:48 pm

I remember it was only a few years ago when I used to plow through every game I got.  Until Metal Gear Solid 2.  It was the reason I purchased my PS2 and after I recieved it for xmas, I beat it within a few days.  I waited years for a literally a few days of gaming bliss.  Never again have I focused on one game to beat.  Now I actually spread myself too thin and can't complete half of the games I play.

For instance, right now I have a franchise going in ESPN 2K5, a season in Tecmo Super Bowl (NES), I'm playing through Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Metroid Fusion, The Legend of Zelda a Link to the Past, Dawn of Sorrow, Star Control II and the Digital Devil Saga games.  Most of these titles I am on the verge of completing, but I tend to switch it up quite a bit.

Atarifever1

Xbox 360 Reviews??

Postby Atarifever1 » November 29th, 2005, 10:14 pm

I've never understood the want for more than 10 hours of gameplay.  Don't people get bored with the same thing going on that long?  I wouldn't want to watch a ten hour movie.  Sure, a game is more expensive, but that's why a game should be fun enough to be replayed in a few years.  Is Gunstar Heroes 15 hours long?  Sonic 2?  Super Mario Bros?  All of those games have gotten more than 15 hours play out of me though, and they'll get a lot more yet than most new games ever will. 

Crevalle

Xbox 360 Reviews??

Postby Crevalle » November 30th, 2005, 12:59 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever]I've never understood the want for more than 10 hours of gameplay.  Don't people get bored with the same thing going on that long?  I wouldn't want to watch a ten hour movie.  Sure, a game is more expensive, but that's why a game should be fun enough to be replayed in a few years.  Is Gunstar Heroes 15 hours long?  Sonic 2?  Super Mario Bros?  All of those games have gotten more than 15 hours play out of me though, and they'll get a lot more yet than most new games ever will. 
[/QUOTE]

RE4 is a classic example of a long game (20+ hours) that I hated to see end.  I mean, if a game is so dreadful to play that you can hardly stand to take more than ten hours, why play it in the first place?  I have many xbox and gamecube impulse game purchases that I popped in, played ten minutes, then never touched again.  If a game is good, I want it to last.  If it's just ok, I'll never play it again. 

Maybe my perspective will change once I don't have as much time to play (kids, etc).

Chicken Warrior

Xbox 360 Reviews??

Postby Chicken Warrior » November 30th, 2005, 1:29 pm

I certainly get bored of playing any game for more than a few hours, unless I really love it, in which case it's usually a racing game or something where replaying the same levels is still good fun. However, when you're paying 4 times for a game what you are for a movie, they should at least be 3 or four times longer. I would love if games were cheaper and shorter. As they are, I don't really think they should be any shoter than they are.

John Rowland

Xbox 360 Reviews??

Postby John Rowland » November 30th, 2005, 6:42 pm

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]I remember it was only a few years ago when I used to plow through every game I got.  Until Metal Gear Solid 2.  It was the reason I purchased my PS2 and after I recieved it for xmas, I beat it within a few days.  I waited years for a literally a few days of gaming bliss.  Never again have I focused on one game to beat.  Now I actually spread myself too thin and can't complete half of the games I play.

For instance, right now I have a franchise going in ESPN 2K5, a season in Tecmo Super Bowl (NES), I'm playing through Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Metroid Fusion, The Legend of Zelda a Link to the Past, Dawn of Sorrow, Star Control II and the Digital Devil Saga games.  Most of these titles I am on the verge of completing, but I tend to switch it up quite a bit.
[/QUOTE]

You sound like me, though my list would be much longer!!  But I still find it most satisfying to plow through a game.  Last Sunday a buddy and I plowed through most of God of War, and will finish it next time we get together.  I just love digging into games and chugging them down.  In the case of MGS 2, I rented it and beat it in a weekend (I've done that twice with two different friends actually).  Great use of $5 and a great weekend.  Endurance tests are always memorable.

As for game length, I feel a game should run as long as the developers have fresh ideas to incorporate into it.  But making a game longer just to make it longer is a no no in my book. 

JustLikeHeaven1

Xbox 360 Reviews??

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » December 1st, 2005, 9:18 pm

[QUOTE=John Rowland]

You sound like me, though my list would be much longer!!  But I still find it most satisfying to plow through a game.  Last Sunday a buddy and I plowed through most of God of War, and will finish it next time we get together.  I just love digging into games and chugging them down.  In the case of MGS 2, I rented it and beat it in a weekend (I've done that twice with two different friends actually).  Great use of $5 and a great weekend.  Endurance tests are always memorable.

[/QUOTE]

Trust me my lists is quite a bit longer than this, but I didn't want to bore anyone.  I buy something new off ebay once or twice a week lately.

I can see renting a game and cruising through it with a pal.  In the end its only $5.  If you bought a new game ($39-$59) it would could kinda suck to beat it in a day.  I guess when I really enjoy games I prevent myself from going through them too quickly so that I can savor it.  Dawn of Sorrow is a great example of this.  I would hate to spoil a great castlevania adventure by beating it in a couple of days. 

On another note...I still haven't found a good version of Heart of Darkness to pick up on ebay.  Pick up any other PS1 games lately that you think I would enjoy?

chrisbid1

Xbox 360 Reviews??

Postby chrisbid1 » December 4th, 2005, 1:01 am

i played a few 360 games today, and frankly, the best game ive played so far was the updated version of geometry wars available as an xbox live download. ( i think it goes for six bucks). It plays as kindof a cross between asteroids and robotron, and the graphic effects are stunning, when the screen becomes filled with objects. i thought the xbox live arcade thing was going to be a lame gimmick, but if there is more material like that in the pipeline, then i may actually subscribe.

John Rowland

Xbox 360 Reviews??

Postby John Rowland » December 6th, 2005, 2:34 am

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]On another note...I still haven't found a good version of Heart of Darkness to pick up on ebay.  Pick up any other PS1 games lately that you think I would enjoy?
[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I'm not sure.  I've picked up some good shooters for it lately: Raiden Project, Strikers 1945, In the Hunt, Einhander.  A classic puzzle game: Lemmings & Oh no! More Lemmings.  And a bit of a "buried treasure": Herc's Adventures (multiplayer action-RPG (heavy on the action, very light on the RPG)).  Not limiting myself to recent purchases I'd recommend, for you, MDK (and especially the sequel for PS2) and Alundra. 

Return to “Video Games General”