I love your new console reviews...

General and high profile video game topics.
Zen444

Postby Zen444 » November 27th, 2005, 7:35 pm

But could you make the Philips CD-i review longer?

John Rowland

Postby John Rowland » November 28th, 2005, 12:58 am

From IGN.com:

Name: Return Fire
Platform: 3DO
Developer: Silent Software
Publisher: Prolific
Year Released: 1995
Why it Made the Top 100 List: Return Fire alone made the initially $600 3DO system worthwhile. Of course, it may have been the only game that did. At the most rudimentary level, it was militaristic two-player capture the flag. At the most extreme level, Return Fire was the reason we didn't have dates for a full year. We also blame it for us not having dates today. Very few games approach Return Fire's level of pure addictiveness and polish. Everything could be blown up, but unless you had strategic skills, you had nothing. Top down action with smarts has rarely been done better.

I'm not sure it will change your review, but don't you think you should at least give the thing a play? 

I do LOVE the console reviews though.  So informative!!

Zen444

Postby Zen444 » November 28th, 2005, 2:03 am

"How Philips managed to secure these respectable licenses from Nintendo is a mystery, but even those were mediocre and are best left forgotten."-The Critic.

The way they got those where from when Nintendo wanted a CD based console. And whne Nintendo pulled out, Nintendo lent them the license.

Zen444

Postby Zen444 » November 28th, 2005, 2:08 am

"The CD-i library is loaded with worthless, antiquated "self-help" tiles"-The Critic.

A little spelling error.

twel

Postby twel » November 28th, 2005, 3:50 am

best site - best reviews you have ... it´s true ... i´m a cd-i collector and i don´t know exactly why . i agree with the post above that the cd-i review should be longer. there are a lot of different systems from lg (goldstar), sony and others. there are several portable versions with built in vcd support. there is a console design with top loader and there is a waaay better joypad available. these are but a few things i´d like to see mentioned ... greetings from germany!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 28th, 2005, 7:41 am

[QUOTE=John Rowland]

From IGN.com:

Name: Return Fire
Platform: 3DO
Developer: Silent Software
Publisher: Prolific

I'm not sure it will change your review, but don't you think you should at least give the thing a play? 

I do LOVE the console reviews though.  So informative!!

[/QUOTE]

I do have this one actually (sorry if I haven't posted a review yet).
But the Playstation version is even better.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » November 28th, 2005, 9:56 pm

Being probably the only person on this forum that enjoys the 3DO I would like to commend you on your recent review of the system.  Everything you said is pretty much right on and I agreeded with 100%.  Except the collectability and games ratings.  If the jaguar recieved a D in the games category than the 3DO should get around a C or C-.  Also I tend think this is one of the better systems to collect.  Honestly hardly anybody owned this system when it first came out thanks to the steep price tag and I personally began my collection a few years after it died.  The systems can be found anywhere $40 -100 depending on what they are being packaged with.  There are also more gems in the collection than you state in your reviews.  Return Fire is one of the better games available (yes the PS1 version is superior) and it still hasn't been reviewed.  I still think that you should review or rereview  The Horde for the system (this game was reviewed rather harshly for the sega saturn), its a great game once you get the hang of it.  Also I don't understand how you could give Ultra Vortek a B for the jaguar and a F for Way of the Warrior.  If that piece of crap gets a B Way of the Warrior is at least worth a C.  Also the jaguar has reviews of Cannon fodder (B+) and Theme Park (B) both of which are great 3DO games too.  Plus you have Flashback and Out of This Worl for action adventure games which are timeless classics.  Star Control II is considered one of the best games of all time and even Captain Quazar is an acceptable shooter that is often overlooked.  I could go, but this is getting long and so I'll stop.  The 3DO is not nearly as devoid of games as most people think it is and I think most people should at least try the system once in their lifetime.  Not once has any of my friends ever complained about the system once they tried it.

Thats the end of my rant.  I'm glad to see the plethora of updates recently, keep up the good work Critic.

Kroozer

Postby Kroozer » December 6th, 2005, 7:03 pm

Another good 3DO sports title was Slam n Jam.  Even without the NBA license, you could easily find your favorite teams and players by shifting the cities up by one slot (although Shaq and Manute Bol were replaced by white guys!!)

Check it out Critic!!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 6th, 2005, 9:53 pm

[QUOTE=Kroozer]

Another good 3DO sports title was Slam n Jam.  Even without the NBA license, you could easily find your favorite teams and players by shifting the cities up by one slot (although Shaq and Manute Bol were replaced by white guys!!)

Check it out Critic!!

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that game does kick ass.  I gave it an A- for the Saturn.  Please refer to that review - I'm sure the 3DO version is similar.

Return to “Video Games General”