Gay bashing?

General and high profile video game topics.
Anayo1

Gay bashing?

Postby Anayo1 » December 24th, 2005, 1:06 pm

[QUOTE=Crevalle]VGC--my advice is: do not succumb to the spineless pansies who are "offended" by things such as this--most of your readers will respect you more for it.  American society is being dumbed-down by these idiots. 

"Oh, Merry Christmas is offensive to me!"
"The veal you served offends me!"
"That fur coat is offensive to me!"
"Your political stance offends me!"

What a bunch of complete pansies...no...better yet....gay pansies.

Atarifever--I realize you're probably a CNN (Communist News Network) fan, but you're going to have to come to grips with the fact that Fox News rocks CNN, MSNBC, and all the other liberal news networks.   

[/QUOTE]

I express my whole hearted agreement. -.-

twiceborn10600

Gay bashing?

Postby twiceborn10600 » December 26th, 2005, 1:16 am

It's been quite awhile since I've posted here. I've been so busy, but yet I seem to be drawn to controversy. It really is true that it is simply impossible to please everyone. Someone can always be found to take offense whether offense was meant or not. (I'm not referring to the original "starter" of this controversy as that seems to have been resolved.) I personally have nothing against any race or life style, but the one thing I do have something against is those who take unneccesary offense and try to change the world to fit there idea of it. In reality this is an act far more selfish and less tolerant than those who casually use a word such as "gay" or "homo". These are simply everyday phrases that have almost no refernce to their original meanings anymore.

My cousin is gay, and I accept him as I would any other member of my family. For the record I think he's an awesome guy even though I myself am straight. He takes no offense at my uses of the words "gay", "homo", "queer" or the like.

What I'm saying people is chill out. Offense is usually not meant with most of the things people take offense too, and if it was, say something but don't let it get too you. It's simply anothers opinion too which they have just as much entitlement as you. Just live your lives and be content.

By the way Dave your reviews are excellent. Whenever I find a game I like check to see what you thought on your site. Don't change just because of a little pressure.

Anayo1

Gay bashing?

Postby Anayo1 » January 3rd, 2006, 10:05 pm

I have been rather quiet about this up until now, and my most recent comment was merely a concensus with someone who I felt did a fairly good job of putting to words my opinion. However, I think I've just recently come across a means of specifically and independently expressing what I wish to say. Funny how things come to me months later, like that. So here I am, writing this, and there you are, reading this. Wewt.

As is probably well known by this point, Dave, it was earlier that you expressed concern over offending various parties by using such derogative terminology as "homo", "gay", etcetera, in your reviews. I think you said you were afraid it sounded insensitive (to use your own words). And I think, according to one mentality or another, I can follow this rationale. To some extent.

However, the question begs asking; [i]who[/i] are you trying to keep from offending?

I probably ought to draw a bigger picture. That picture would, to cut to the chase, more or less be the duality of our country, America, and the people therein. Some people call it "controversy". Others "politics". But really it just boils down to who you ask. One will say something along the lines of "crazy right wing nutjobs", whereas another, in a complete full-out clashing show of opposites, will say, "leftist nazis trying to destroy the country" or something like that.

Those who maintain a relative detachment from the whole affair usually call these two polarized groups "conservatives" and "liberals".

It's a pretty big thing, this duality. You might even go so far as to call it a "division".

One's affiliation with either side shapes the very fundamental mold that makes up the philosophical, ethical, and moral basis of one's entire lifestyle. No... on second thought, I'd put that in the reverse. It's one's [i]fundamental moral, philosophical,[/i] and [i]ethical[/i] values that determine whether they are of one party or the other. Not the other way around.

To elaborate; one doesn't have a particular set of beliefs because they are a liberal. One is a liberal because they have a particular set of beliefs.

There are many examples for this.

For one, someone who believes in the legitimacy of a certain medical procedure technically known as "abortion", would be classified as a liberal.

On the other hand, someone who believes that killing babies before they are even born is inexcusable murder would be classified as a conservative.

Another example. Someone who believes that animals are on an equal moral level as humans, deserving of legal rights, and that if you were to kill one it would be murder, would be a liberal.

Likewise, someone who believes people were created in God's image and that animals are a blessing over which humanity is to exercize dominion would be a conservative. Or something like that.

But this isn't about abortion or environmentalism. It's about offending people. So, to move on,

Like a great myriad of other issues currently being fought over, the phenomenon of homosexuality is one of these. Like the above “liberal/conservative” viewpoints above, that of homosexuality would be something like “someone who believes true love transcends genders” is a liberal, whereas someone who believes “one man sticking his penis up the anus of another man – and enjoying it – is evil” is a conservative.

Now, rest assured that my ultimate goal in this probably already too-long tangent is not to go on a specifically political rampage. Rather, I'm just trying to emphasize the kind of ground you are stepping onto in posting a topic on the forum belonging to your highly popular, well-known video gaming site, whereupon you say, “Man... I sure hope I haven't offended any homosexuals?”

Someone who smiles at the sight of such open mindedness is called a liberal.

Someone who cringes at the thought of their favorite video game critic sympathizing with sexual deviants is called a conservative.

I hope I've done as good of a job of emphasizing that this is, after all, about offending people, and not about your moral affiliations. That is ground that could be ventured onto, but given the gravity of things I don't feel quite compelled to make a concrete assertion to that. Subtle allusion, maybe.

Now, to wrap it all up, if you really, really don't want to offend anyone, if non-offense to all is your primary, focal, ultimate goal, regardless of liberal/conservative/political [i]whatever[/i], here is what I would recommend you do. It's not the best recommendation, but I think it's a pretty good one. If you don't want to offend ANYONE – and I do mean ANYONE, liberal OR conservative – just don't make any mention of homosexuality at all. Don't sympathize. Don't criticize. Don't even describe the particularly prissy looking video game characters as “gay” (tempting as it may be, and I would know <.<.

Otherwise, though?

You choose your side. Just bear in mind that it'll be a whole lot more than video games if it should come to that.

Alienblue

Gay bashing?

Postby Alienblue » January 4th, 2006, 3:36 pm

..In my humble opinion this whole topic has really gotten out of hand. It just seems strange to be reading this PC stuff on a GAMING site, where we are supposed to be arguing about GAMES, not words.

The word "homo" is short for "HOMO SAPIENS SAPIENS", the exact species name for the human race. That means ever man woman and child is a "Homo"! Queer just means strange, different... a pansy is a type of flower. I grew up being verbally abused, you see, and you can see how I turned it around.

I asked my freind to look at this, she is a lesbian and said she fell off her seat laughing her butt off that so many people were taking this so seriously. NONE of the reviews offended her at all (although to be fair I expect "gay" bashing meant gay MEN). Still, they are just WORDS people! Sticks and stones and turn the other cheek and alofrachodoristious and all that.... (;

Sudz1

Gay bashing?

Postby Sudz1 » January 5th, 2006, 7:25 pm

My God man, come back to your senses - the word 'gay' is a perfectly legitimate word that you should feel free to use liberally and DAMN those people that don't like it!  Are you getting paid to run this site?  HELL NO!  Are you having to fork over your hard-earned cash to keep it up and running?  HELL YES!  Should you therefore feel perfectly within your rights to use any damn words you see fit?  OF COURSE!  If people don't like it, they're welcome to go back to reading all those kiss-ass video game magazines that rate everything a "6" or higher, always.  You start censoring yourself now and the next thing you know you won't feel comfortable using the term "Christmas" when reviewing you haul of new goodies next December.
Sudz

Return to “Video Games General”