Tecmo Arcade classics review

General and high profile video game topics.
Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » December 18th, 2005, 3:42 pm

BOY I wish I had an X-box! I hate 3-D games but I'd get one
(if I had the $dough) just to play the classic compilations coming, cloning classic carny cabinets called..um...cupkaes? (:

Anyway, two observations in your review: PLEIADES PLAYS like PHOENIX because it's a SEQUAL to PHOENIX, although not a very well known one (on your 2600 review you said the third level has you "climbing steps..."..did you notice yet you are actually coasting down a runway, shooting grounded planes? I have most of these games on MAME..)

And "Bombjack" , I LIKE the game but no, it is NOT a classic...I think they were thinking of the sequal, MIGHTY BOMB JACK, a well known game released for the NES as well (you should get THAT one, critic! it was one of my first NES games! Mighty good!)

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » December 18th, 2005, 6:54 pm

Wow, that's interesting.  I thought it WAS Mighty Bomb Jack he was reviewing, and that they just had a different name for it or a typo on the compilation. 

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » December 19th, 2005, 3:28 pm

No, Bomb Jack was released a year earlier and is a platform game along the lines of BUBBLE BOBBLE (pick up all the bombs, avoid bad guys..) MBJ is more an adventure/platformer...

Don't feel bad, I didn't know that EITHER until I downloaded the ROM! Its a fun game INMHO, though repetitive...

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » December 19th, 2005, 9:23 pm

Tecmo has made several great games over the years and it saddens me that the compilation is so weak.  I was going to pick this one up right away, but I soon found out that most of the games weren't the NES games (tecmo bowl, rygar) and my interest for the product waned.  I hope they learn from this mistake and make a compilaion of all the great consoles games they've made throughout the years.

Chris Marsh

Postby Chris Marsh » December 19th, 2005, 9:39 pm

Tecmo Bowl for NES can't be remade due to EA buying the rights to all NFL properties, including players (EA is a bunch of LOSERS).

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » December 20th, 2005, 2:13 pm

tecmo was very lazy with this compilation

there is no reason for them not to include the arcade version of ninja gaiden, other than the thought that "it will keep sales of ninja gaiden black down". total bs

also, there was nothing keeping tecmo from releasing their NES games on this package. sports games with licenses wouldve been a little tough, but tecmo did some great games on the NES that surpassed anything on this arcade package

Return to “Video Games General”