Favorite Fighting Series and why

General and high profile video game topics.
Funkmaster V

Postby Funkmaster V » January 25th, 2006, 10:24 pm

Let's take a poll here, what is your favorite fighting series and why?

Street Fighter is mine, of course:

I like it the best b/c it came out before Ultimate Fighting did, so it was really the first time we could see missed martial arts when ever we wanted to. Pro Wrestlers vs. Karate vs. Boxing vs. Kung Fu, etc. Yes, most people can't throw fireballs no matter how hard they try, so it's not really realistic... but I enjoyed the depth there because of the differences between the characters: Charge, Grapplers, Chain Combo, Controller, and Hybrid characters.

Anyway, what's your opinion?

Vinnie

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » January 25th, 2006, 11:15 pm

I'm not a huge fight fan but Street fighter of Course....
esp. SUPER SF on SNES and SF ALPHA on Saturn....those rock!

Never liked Mortal Kombat, or 3-D fighters....

What we really need is CABBAGE PATCH KIDZ FIGHTERZ!!!

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » January 25th, 2006, 11:46 pm

Virtua fighter because it's a game where skill will and does beat button mashing.  You will never beat pie what ever her name is just down kicking over and over again, you will get your ass handed to you.  Yet I recall in tekken 2 that's all I did to win some fights and oh boy did it work.

Plus unlike DOA virtua fighter doesn't insult me by thinking I'm a pathetic horny loser who can't talk to girls so I have to ogle virtual ones.  I'm sure there's a decen fighter in that pile of boobs somewhere I just have never felt like finding it.

Plus virtua fighter is just an incredibly hard game to master yet very easy to pick up and play.  I just got vf4 evolution for 5$ so I have to give that a go I haven't played VF4 in over a year so I'm rusty.

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » January 26th, 2006, 12:07 am

Samurai Shodown

Why?? because Zen is always right

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » January 26th, 2006, 8:28 am

Vampire Chronicles (Night Warrios/Darkstalkers/Vampire Hunter/Saviour).

Because it has the wonderful control of Street Fighter with the most interesting and sumptiously animated characters you have ever seen.  It is the fact that the characters and their backgrounds are so full of character that I enjoy this game so much.  It's just a lot more fun than SF, though I love SF too.  My top 5 fighters:-

1)Vampire Chronicles

2)Virtua Fighter 3tb (for what SSX said - takes pure skill and practice to master)

3)Samurai Showdown 2 (wonderful game with gorgeous graphics)

4)Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike

5)Tekken 3

Koopa Warrior

Postby Koopa Warrior » January 26th, 2006, 4:24 pm

I can't just choose one, so I listed a few in no order:

Mortal Kombat

Soul Calibur

Tekken

Street Fighter

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai series

Zen444

Postby Zen444 » January 26th, 2006, 6:55 pm

It makes my stomach turn violently whenever someone lists Tekken or Soul Calibur as their favorite fighing games.

Mine are:

Mortal Kombat Deception
King of Fighters 2002
Samurai Showdown 2
Mortal Kombat 1
Street Fighter 2
Marvel VS Capcom

welcometoyourdoom

Postby welcometoyourdoom » January 26th, 2006, 7:14 pm

I've always liked fighting games. Pre-SF2, I was playing Karate Champ, Yie Ar Kung Fu, and the original Street Fighter. Then Street Fighter 2 came along and rocked my world. I was hooked. That was 14-15 years ago, so in that time I've amassed many favorites:

2-D

Street Fighter series

Vampire/Darkstalkers series

Vs series

Samarai Showdown series

King Of Fighters series

Fatal Fury series

Guilty Gear series

The first two Mortal Kombats

3-D

Soul Edge/Blade/Calibur series

Virtua Fighter series

Dead Or Alive series

Tekken series

And many, many excellent fighters that are somewhat lesser known...

If I could pick just one 2-D and one 3-D fighter, I would choose Street Fighter Alpha 3, and Soul Calibur. Both available on Dreamcast, I might add.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » January 26th, 2006, 8:05 pm

I hear you on the International Karate front!  That game was very class.  I have the PS1 version myself though I assume it's a faithful port.

Zen444 how can you complain about Tekken when you list Mortal Kombat 1?  I haven't played any MK after UMK3 enough to judge them but UMK3 and the ones before were the shallowest, most broken, unbalanced fighting games I have ever played.  I was seriously dissapointed when I bought those games.  Tekken 3 on the other hand has a nice variety of styles that require quite some mastering.  I can't comment on the earlier Tekkens though. 

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » January 26th, 2006, 10:28 pm

Eternal Champions.  I think it is the single most underrated game in history. 

Return to “Video Games General”