All the way through?

General and high profile video game topics.
Ozzybear

Re: All the way through?

Postby Ozzybear » October 23rd, 2019, 3:53 am

Just finished Lost castles on ps4 ! Very castle crashers like but shorter and can be a lot harder !! Definetly worth the challenge if you like these style of games! Now gonna take a break and enjoy some Aew wrestling in Pittsburgh tomorrow evening, then enjoy a couple Halloween shows with my band ( Halloween is my Christmas lol ) . Then cat quest 2 should be out and wanna play that !!! Happy Halloween everyone !!!

Ozzybear

Postby Ozzybear » October 30th, 2019, 5:35 am

Just finished Cat Quest 2 on ps4! I only have a couple lil things to wrap up and I'll have the game platinumed! Though not a long game , it's longer than the first and lots of lil side quests and over all just a fun change of pace !

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 30th, 2019, 1:14 pm

Ozzybear wrote:Just finished Cat Quest 2 on ps4! I only have a couple lil things to wrap up and I'll have the game platinumed! Though not a long game , it's longer than the first and lots of lil side quests and over all just a fun change of pace !

As a cat lover not surprised!

Ozzybear

Postby Ozzybear » November 9th, 2019, 4:24 am

Just finished a very quick lil game called little adventures on the prairie on ps4 , extremely short game , but was only 2 bucks lol

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 11th, 2019, 9:40 am

Finally finished Horizon Zero Dawn. I played it like a completionist and went over 100 hours. It's been at least a decade since I played a game for that long, but the story and gameplay were so good that it kept me playing. I'll admit that I got tired of it toward the end (around 80 to 100 hours), but by that point I was too invested.

And when I say I "got tired of it", I don't mean that it got bad or that the story drops off. I just mean that, for me personally, any game is going to start dragging and annoying me after playing it for that long. It was just time to move on to something new.

Ozzybear

Postby Ozzybear » December 1st, 2019, 1:45 am

Just finished the campaign for sniper elite v2 remastered on ps4, such a fun game !!

Ozzybear

Postby Ozzybear » December 23rd, 2019, 2:21 am

Just finished Untitled Goose Game on ps4 . Though the game is extremely short , it's a fun lil change of pace .

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » December 23rd, 2019, 11:29 pm

I originally beat Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse back around 2005 on a emulator using Grant as my partner. I've played the game periodically since (in 2013 I even attempted to 1 CC the game over a few weeks and came within half a lifebar of Dracula's final form once, although I never got that close again and eventually gave up) but I ragequit the game back in 2015 and hadn't touched it since - and had no real desire to for a number of years.

The urge to play had come back recently and during last month's Black Friday sale on PSN I bought the Castlevania Anniversary Collection for the PS4 (which has CV 1-3 and Kid Dracula for the NES/Famicom, SCIV for the SNES, Bloodlines for the Genesis/Megadrive and Castlevaina: The Adventure and Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge for the original Gameboy, plus the Japanese versions of all the aforementioned games except Castlevania II: Simon's Quest , plus some bonus interviews and artwork) and began playing through the various games again. I beat the original Castlevania as a warm-up (a game I did 1 CC back in 2013) and then decided I wanted to beat Castlevania III with every possible combination of characters (Trevor solo, Trevor/Syfa, Trevor/Grant and Trevor/Alucard). I didn't care about the one credit finish so much anymore - I just wanted to feel that I got the most out of the game. I figured that I could always pursue the no-continue runs later on after reacquainting myself (and I may do a daily attempt from now on to keep myself limber).

Tonight, after dozens of attempts, I finished the solo Trevor run and have now completed all four possible combinations. Solo Trevor is a nightmare - you miss Syfa's powerful spells and the advanced mobility of Grant and especially Alucard (who I personally find an otherwise ineffective character - I only used him for the bat ability to skip a handful of brutal moments and little else), turning certain sections - namely Stage 9-04, the two-tiered crow and merman waterfall room that leads into the mimic boss - into controller-shattering bouts of frustration. Oddly enough, the relatively short final stage isn't the hardest level in the game - Stage 6 (Y) (with the rising water and the multiple sectioned Bone Dragon King boss fight), Stage 7 (01) (the longest stage in the game, containing the Death Tetris screen and a fast-advancing scroll to the top of a crumbling castle wall ending in a three-part boss) and the previously mentioned Stage 9 are all much worse in my opinion. Once you learn the locations of the wall meat and the various weapons (more to avoid grabbing the wrong one, which can still happen due to an unlucky drop from a slain creature) you can develop a plan of sorts - then you just grab or keep the weapon you want and use it enough over the course of each level so that you have double- or preferably triple-shot for the bosses and more monster-congested sections. The biggest problem is that surviving to reach some of the bosses just isn't enough - some bosses you can cheese with hit-and-run tactics or kill almost instantly with a powered-up subweapon, but I'm not sure how to beat Death, the mimic or the three-part Dracula fight without taking damage. You can strategically change between characters to temporarily freeze the mimic, but the solo Trevor run eliminates that option.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 12th, 2020, 11:53 am

Just finished Phantasy Star IV on the Genesis, after several months of playing it on and off. I had never played the series before, but glad I finally gave it a shot. Solid old school RPG. Perhaps I'll get a RPG review in the works..

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » January 29th, 2020, 2:11 am

Still playing through the Castlevania Anniversary Collection and I replayed Super Castlevania IV and finished Kid Dracula (known in Japan as Akumajō Special: Boku Dracula-kun) for the first time. I was somewhat critical of SCIV in the past despite enjoying my original playthrough, but I have to admit that it was better for me the second time - I was surprised by just how much variety there was in both the traps and monsters (some of each appearing only a single time) and I warmed up the more leisurely pace. My only complaints were that a few bosses (the giant skull and rock golem, for instance) didn't seem to have a way to fight strategically with other than "get to the end with as much life as possible and mash" (maybe a third go-around will give me some new approaches) and there are a couple of very short stages in the middle I barely remember.

Kid Dracula is a action platformer with nearly all the characters in cartoonish chibi form and some vague ties to the Castlevania universe - the first stage is a simplified layout of a few sections of the original Castlevania game, some of the enemies are horror-themed and the protagonist grows up to be the nemesis of the rest of the series. Along with humorous depictions of various horror icons are some pop-culture references - the New York level features Spider-Man, King Kong, Jason (Friday the 13th Part 8: Jason Takes Manhattan came out the year before) and a boss fight with The Statue of Liberty that plays out as a quiz show. The first half the game is quite easy but it does ramp up before ending on a very challenging final stage that forces you to fight three bosses while traversing multiple sections with instant-death spikes without a single healing item and I think it took me somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-70 tries to pull it off. The game has a cute visual style and a lot of charm (both of which go a long way with me) and all the abilities you gain over the course of the game are actually useful to some degree, which doesn't happen often.

I'm very close to completing The Castlevania Adventure, easily the worst game in the series and the worst game I've ever put more than an hour or two into. Very much looking forward to never playing it again afterwards!

Return to “Video Games General”