All the way through?

General and high profile video game topics.
ActRaiser

Re: All the way through?

Postby ActRaiser » September 14th, 2021, 8:54 am

Space Harrier (Arcade)

Once you configure the controls in MAME for an analog joystick and set the deadzone on the stick to 0.03 in the MAME.ini file it plays great. The run and gun 3rd person flying game with scaling sprites racing towards you makes for an exhilarating first impression. You'll lose lives as fast as you downed beer during spring break in college. On the plus side the novelty of pre-paying for extra lives by dumping more quarters in to the machine is genius. On the cons side of things the game starts to wear out its welcome and sense of originality after stage 8. Unfortunately, You only have 10 more stages to go to beat the game. C

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » October 3rd, 2021, 10:15 pm

After ~20 years I finally beat Puzzle Bobble 2. :')

Ozzybear

Postby Ozzybear » October 19th, 2021, 10:34 am

Have went through Diablo 2 Resurrected on PS4 .
Have finished it on normal and nightmare so far.
Still got hell and hardcore to go through!

Ozzybear

Postby Ozzybear » October 23rd, 2021, 10:15 am

Just finished everything in Catlateral Damage Remeowsterrd on PS4 .

As a cat lover this is a fun change of pace

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » October 31st, 2021, 7:21 am

I just finished Skyward Sword HD. I enjoyed it but I must confess the las 1/3 of the game I was just playing to "finish it". Too much back and forth and too many fetch quests. Still, an enjoyable game nonetheless. Now that I have that completed it I am moving on to Resident Evil 8 on the PS4.

JohanOberg

Postby JohanOberg » November 26th, 2021, 6:31 am

Yesterday I played Uncharted 2 all the way through, which was a mistake as I got to bed at 3:00. But I was pissed off and I wanted to get it over with.
I was never interested in Uncharted but I played 2 because it was largely seen as the best one and I wanted to try something out of my comfort zone so to speak. And while it was a pretty good game, I also hated it and will not play any other in the series.
First of all there was a little too much climbing to my taste, I know it was a big thing at the time but I enjoyed it more in InFamous. The story, characters and dialogue got a few chuckles out of me but while yes it was like a movie, overall it was like a mediocre movie. I feel nothing for Nathan Drake in the end.
The shooting was done well, but... this game did to "non-stop action" what MGS did to cutscenes; they're just too damn long! The train shootout sequence in particular. But enemy encounters in general went on too long, and even though I played on Easy I died many, many times. Armored guys with shotguns, minigun guys, snipers, guardian jerks that punch me to death in two hits, sometimes all at once. Jeez.
Pretty good game but I also hated it, 6.5/10, maybe. Or I'm sorry, C- or so?

Today Max Payne 3. I played a little back in 2013 or so but had to quit early because the "drunk" effects made me neaseous, now I could deal with it better for some reason. Good game, not as good as the first two. B.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » January 9th, 2022, 5:20 pm

Did a one CC run of Castlevania (NES) with four deaths (all on Dracula). I was inspired after watching some speedrunners compete in a tournament as part of a Halloween marathon and I've been making a few attempts a week over the last two months.

In the past I would hold on to the cross almost exclusively (and it is the superior weapon in a few spots, most notably the boss battle against the mummies in Stage 9), but that tournament made me realize just how overpowered holy water is in the original game. The two toughest bosses (the Frankenstein/Flea Man duo and Death) are absolutely trivial with double/triple shot holy water (neither will even have the opportunity to attack if you time everything right), and you can walk right through frozen enemies without taking damage if you are quick enough - this especially comes in handy with bone dragons and axe knights. You can even use this mechanic to switch sides on Dracula's monster form to avoid being cornered.
Last edited by velcrozombie on January 10th, 2022, 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » January 9th, 2022, 5:32 pm

I still adore that 13 years later this thread is still going. A lot of us could probably look back and see us reporting playthrough moments we don't even remember!

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 10th, 2022, 12:46 am

Robotrek wrote:I still adore that 13 years later this thread is still going. A lot of us could probably look back and see us reporting playthrough moments we don't even remember!

For sure! Pretty crazy to see it still going. Honestly I wish I used to more to keep track and look back at games beaten over the years.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 10th, 2022, 12:53 am

JohanOberg wrote:Yesterday I played Uncharted 2 all the way through, which was a mistake as I got to bed at 3:00. But I was pissed off and I wanted to get it over with.
I was never interested in Uncharted but I played 2 because it was largely seen as the best one and I wanted to try something out of my comfort zone so to speak. And while it was a pretty good game, I also hated it and will not play any other in the series.
. . .
Pretty good game but I also hated it, 6.5/10, maybe. Or I'm sorry, C- or so?

Today Max Payne 3. I played a little back in 2013 or so but had to quit early because the "drunk" effects made me neaseous, now I could deal with it better for some reason. Good game, not as good as the first two. B.

I actually agree with you (mostly) on Uncharted 2. I’d score it higher, but felt disappointed too. I actually played Uncharted 4 first, loved it, and decided I’d play Uncharted 2 since it is considered the serie’s best. I played the PS4 version on Uncharted Collection. Having played both in pretty quick succession, I felt Uncharted 4 is a clearly superior game. Better gameplay, better level designs, and much better story. Uncharted 2 was still good to me, but I think it’s more fondly remembered because of how good it was for its time.

As for Max Payne, loved the first two games- the stories and the noir style. Max Payne 3 looked like a complete revamp so I skipped it.

Return to “Video Games General”