All the way through?

General and high profile video game topics.
DialSforSam

Re: All the way through?

Postby DialSforSam » January 27th, 2022, 4:35 pm

Finished UnMetal last night on Steam.

nesfan

Postby nesfan » April 14th, 2022, 9:44 am

Two weeks ago, I beat Final Fantasy VIII for Playstation on stream and this past Saturday, I finished Pokemon Legends: Arceus for Switch.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » April 17th, 2022, 1:14 am

Super Mario Land (Gameboy), played on my new Retron 5. I owned this game as a kid and purchased it again a couple of years ago to play on the Gamecube Gameboy Player but I was never really happy with the quality and shelved it. I beat the game for the very first time only intending to try out the GB/GBA slot on my new toy with 17 lives to spare. I've never been comfortable with the physics (the start/stop movement and the way Mario drops like a rock) but this really is a quirky, imaginative little game and I had a blast finally putting it to bed.

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » April 17th, 2022, 1:55 am

Last year I spent so much time enjoying Dirt Rally 2.0 that it was hard for other titles to get a look in. I thought I'd challenge myself with completing twelve games this year and to my surprise have nearly done so already. Here's what I've got through so far.

Halo Infinite (Xbox Series X)
Streets of Rage 1 (Mega Drive)
Sega Rally (SEGA Saturn)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (arcade)
Dirt Rally 2.0 (Xbox series X)
Streets of Rage 4 (Xbox Series X)
Streets of Rage 2 (Megadrive)
Tetris Effect: Connected (Xbox Series X)
Marvel's Spiderman: Remastered (PS5)
Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors Dreams (Arcade)
Flower (PS4 via PS5)

As you can see, I've still played a bit of Dirt Rally 2.0. Ha

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » April 18th, 2022, 10:09 am

I haven't written reviews for them, but I finished X-Com 2 and Super Mario RPG in the last few days. Almost done with Castlevania: SOTN as well!

Ozzybear

Postby Ozzybear » April 19th, 2022, 10:48 pm

Just finished my first playthrough of Elden Ring on ps4!
Put a lil over 200 hours in it.
On to new game plus !

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 21st, 2022, 3:48 am

DialSforSam wrote:Finished UnMetal last night on Steam.

How was it? As a big MGS fan, I was interested in this one.

Alucard1191 wrote:I haven't written reviews for them, but I finished X-Com 2 and Super Mario RPG in the last few days. Almost done with Castlevania: SOTN as well!

I keep wanting to try an X-Com game. Worth the playthrough? And how does Super Mario RPG hold up these days? That one has been on my to-play list for 25 years and I just can't get around to it!

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » April 21st, 2022, 11:39 am

Retro STrife wrote:
I keep wanting to try an X-Com game. Worth the playthrough? And how does Super Mario RPG hold up these days? That one has been on my to-play list for 25 years and I just can't get around to it!

X-Com is absolutely worth the play through. It's an A game, hands down. It has multiple styles of play, you build a base, which involves time and resource management, the battles play out as a turn based strategy game, and you research things and build weapons and other equipment. The world is well presented, the game is tough without being too tough, though once you get the best weapons/armor the difficulty does go down a bit. The strongest aliens aren't quite a match for topped out troops.

It's a fantastic series, I'd recommend both 1 and 2. I'd play part 2 before playing the expansion though, "War of the Chosen" as to understand storyline things you should play through the normal game first.

As for Mario RPG, it's still fantastic. Has aged really well for the most part, and was a lot of fun. I preferred it over FFIII. I plan on doing an in depth look at that one like I did with FFIII at some point. I just need time, lol.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » April 21st, 2022, 6:28 pm

Alucard1191 wrote:X-Com is absolutely worth the play through. It's an A game, hands down.

Glad to see another highly rate this. The first game on PC, UFO Defense way back in the DOS days was always a personal favorite but the XCom Enemy Unknown (a remake of UFO Defense) and XCom 2 on modern consoles are amazing additions to the franchise.

Anyone wanting to give XCom 2 a try - it sometimes shows up for free on Epic games, https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/. In fact, it should be a duty for one to check Epic games for freebies. Just open up an account and add to basket any free games you want.

DialSforSam

Postby DialSforSam » April 22nd, 2022, 9:29 am

Retro STrife wrote:
DialSforSam wrote:Finished UnMetal last night on Steam.

How was it? As a big MGS fan, I was interested in this one.

Alucard1191 wrote:I haven't written reviews for them, but I finished X-Com 2 and Super Mario RPG in the last few days. Almost done with Castlevania: SOTN as well!

UnMetal is pretty fun. It's a parody of the old Metal Gear games, and you get a few choices here and there to set up your surroundings. Choose wisely though.

Return to “Video Games General”