Gameworks locations close

General and high profile video game topics.
Dennis

Postby Dennis » March 30th, 2010, 3:15 pm

[QUOTE=Greisha]HOLY CRAP!! That's a lot of games!!

There used to be an arcade near the town I grew up in, but I'm not 100% sure if it exists anymore. Sad times...

The most impressive arcade I've been to is the one at Cedar Point. It had a lot of older games, as well.

[/QUOTE]

Anyone who lives in Ohio should check out Arcade Legends in Cincinnati.  It's nowhere near as big as Funspot, but it has a pretty nice collection of games mostly from the mid-80s and early 90s.  I would guess at least 50 games, plus a few pins.  The best part is, you pay one admission fee and all the games are on free play.

They also have a giant screen for console gaming. 

Arcade Legends and the midway arcade at Cedar Point are really the only two options in Ohio for classic gaming.

Bikeage666

Postby Bikeage666 » March 30th, 2010, 4:55 pm

I've got a decent arcade nearby. It's more of a "family fun center", with mini golf, redemption games, and moonwalks, but they have a decent selection of classics.

I don't go very often because as an adult I have more pressing things to do than hang out at an arcade regularly, and my friends would rather play PS3 or 360 at home where we can drink and smoke. When I do occasionally go i'm always annoyed by the far too bright lighting.

It's tolerable near the coin ops even though it kills any old school nostalgia, but in the little pinball section they have there are tube lights directly overhead each table, causing a ridiculous amount of glare.

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » March 30th, 2010, 6:08 pm

[QUOTE=Viper82]If there is one thing I miss about the 80's, it was the arcades. Nothing was more fun than sweating bullets and trying to focus through all the noise while playing the next great title. We used to have a chain here in Eastern Canada called Electronic Avenue that was in pretty much every mall imaginable. Sadly, the few arcades that remain are now known as 'Family Amusement Centres' relegated to the back corner of a mall or movie theatre and are NOTHING like arcades of old. The old arcades brought in a few troublemakers but they also created a buzz that attracted us kids to the mall.

The only real arcade I've seen recently is (or was, it was 5 years ago) located in downtown Toronto and besides being in a downright scary location, it was a classic old school arcade. Shame that today's boring and dying malls can't put these hangouts back in!

[/QUOTE]

viper, yeah, i hear ya. i loved going to the arcades in my youth. when i was an early teen, my two friends and i would go to pittsburgh and watch a pens game, pro wrestling (hey, we were young and stupid, as opposed to now, when i'm old and stupid). we would go up after school on friday, stay at my friends grandmother's friday night, and leave saturday evening back for home. we did this every month for three years, from late 82 to late 85. other than seeing the pens and pro wrestling, we spent pretty much all of our time in the arcades. games like sinistar, food fight, star wars, discs of tron, journey, dragon's lair, tempest, etc. etc. etc. all have great memories for me.

i told this story in a previous post a few years ago here, but one more flashback in the time machine. during the summer of 1982, an arcade opened up in our town, and i would walk two or three miles just to go there. i went there a lot. it was a pizza shop/arcade, and the owner gave away a free 16 inch pizza if you got a new high score for the week on one of the games. the owner kept the high score and your name on a high score list, and during the summer, i won 45 sixteen inch pizzas. i had a single mom and a disabled brother, and we had no cash, so my mom loved the fact that i was bringing home pizzas for dinner almost daily. memories, memories.

my friend who i went to pittsburgh with in the 80's is still my best friend, and he's been talking about going to funspot for the weekend. i live in southern california, so it would be a hike, but we're still trying to set our sights on playing games non stop for one weekend.  maybe you can't go home again, but i think once i set foot in the arcade and see all the great games from my youth, i'll be in nirvana.

Pixelcade1

Postby Pixelcade1 » March 30th, 2010, 8:35 pm

For me it was Putt-Putt Fun and Games in the Buffalo area and Haunted Trails in the Chicago area good times were had by all!

TedE.Bear

Postby TedE.Bear » March 30th, 2010, 9:58 pm

Great story, gleebergloben!!!!  What I wouldn't give to see Tito Santana versus Greg "The Hammer" Valentine at Cobo Arena or Joe Louis Arena for the Intercontinental Championship belt again!!

With these kids today, they'll never understand the thrill of going into a Timezone arcade at the mall with $5.00.  The sights, the sounds, the waiting for the person in front of you to lose their last man!!!  Back in my day, my local arcade gave free tokens for A's & B's on your report card.  Extra tokens for Dragon's Lair or Track & Field!!!  GameWorks or Dave & Buster's can never capture the essence of it.  I will say that my local Chuck E. Cheese's has a Space Invaders/Qix combo machine that makes the trip somewhat worthwhile (that pizza just sucks!). 

I compare it with the fact that there are no longer any "paper boys" delivering the newspaper.  Other than allowance or yard work...how does a kid under 16 make any $$ these days??  For 1984, I was making $40.00 a week as a 13-year-old delivering the Detroit News.  That afforded me a new Atari 2600 or Commodore 64 game a week if I wanted one.  I bought Pitfall II for the Atari 2600 with my OWN money!!

And I walked six miles to school each day in the snow!!!   Great thread, BTW!

Return to “Video Games General”