Survey: Most disappointing system?

General and high profile video game topics.
oldschoolgamers

Postby oldschoolgamers » March 13th, 2012, 12:53 pm

[QUOTE=Matt]

The 32X had no classic titles.

[/QUOTE]

Knuckles Chaotix, Virtua Fighter, Shadow Squadron, Starwars Arcade, and Excellent ports of Mortal Kombat II, and NBA Jam TE.

soporj1

Postby soporj1 » March 13th, 2012, 2:47 pm

[QUOTE=Silver_Fox]PS1 and PS2, HANDS DOWN. [/QUOTE]

I know that hyperbole gets thrown around these forums at an enormous rate, but this comment is just ridiculous.

To say that the PS1 and PS2 were more disappointing than the overhyped and under-delivering 3DO, Jaguar, CD-I (and Virtual Boy if you count that as a console) is silly.

Sony has done some crappy things, but the PS1 and PS2 didn't disappoint people like the other consoles I mentioned.

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » March 13th, 2012, 11:42 pm

I've had my Playstation 2 since Christmas of 2000 and it has never given me any trouble. It still works just as well as it ever has. Any time I got the "disc read error" message, I just put in a DVD lens cleaner (which takes about 10 seconds) and then no more error. If the message ever persisted, then it was a faulty game. 
And my PS2 gets a lot of use. I use it for PS games, PS2 games, and it's my DVD player. 

My brother has had his Playstation since '96 or '97. But the laser in it malfunctioned just about a month or two ago. Still, that's 14 or 15 years and this is the first problem he had.

So, I agree with Jake based on my experiences. Sony isn't perfect but they don't make junk. Silver_Fox must have just had some bad luck.

oldschoolgamer

Postby oldschoolgamer » March 14th, 2012, 12:20 am

[QUOTE=nesfan]I've had my Playstation 2 since Christmas of 2000 and it has never given me any trouble. It still works just as well as it ever has. Any time I got the "disc read error" message, I just put in a DVD lens cleaner (which takes about 10 seconds) and then no more error. If the message ever persisted, then it was a faulty game. 
And my PS2 gets a lot of use. I use it for PS games, PS2 games, and it's my DVD player. 

My brother has had his Playstation since '96 or '97. But the laser in it malfunctioned just about a month or two ago. Still, that's 14 or 15 years and this is the first problem he had.

So, I agree with Jake based on my experiences. Sony isn't perfect but they don't make junk. Silver_Fox must have just had some bad luck.
[/QUOTE]

Based on the critic's console reveiws, you guys might be the exception more than the rule.  It seems the first releases of Sony's consoles are prone to some sort of hardware failure, although they do seem to correct them with subsequent versions.  So I guess the lesson here is don't buy a Playstation until its a few years into its lifecycle.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » March 14th, 2012, 12:29 am

That served me well. Both the original Playstation and Playstation  2 had horrible reputations for durability.

I waited and eventually bought the small PSOne redesign and the slim Playstation 2 when they were released and have never had any trouble.

All my Sony products are still kicking just fine.

AoZ

Postby AoZ » March 14th, 2012, 3:07 am

Want to say I have had both a Playstation 1 and 2, and had no real troubles with either. From memory, I think there were a couple times where there was a load error on my original PS, but this is all I can think of. It did not persist, and I could maybe count on one hand anything like this happening. I really can not remember a problem with my PS2. I've really enjoyed it.

I might add there were some times of a freeze up on some games with my PS1, but actually think this was the games in most cases, but unsure. Never did I have anything such as a hardware failure- an inoperable, or unusable system. As far as Sony's ethics as a company- or a lot of these companies for that matter- I don't know; I do know that the hardware has not been a problem for me personally-- it has been a bonus.

Silver_Fox1

Postby Silver_Fox1 » March 19th, 2012, 6:27 am

[QUOTE=soporj][QUOTE=Silver_Fox]PS1 and PS2, HANDS DOWN. [/QUOTE]<div><br></div><div>I know that hyperbole gets thrown around these forums at an enormous rate, but this comment is just ridiculous.</div><div><br></div><div>To say that the PS1 and PS2 were more disappointing than the overhyped and under-delivering 3DO, Jaguar, CD-I (and Virtual Boy if you count that as a console) is silly.</div><div><br></div><div>Sony has done some crappy things, but the PS1 and PS2 didn't disappoint people like the other consoles I mentioned.</div>[/QUOTE] Hyperbole? Nice of you to NOT READ my entire post, and quote one sentence of my post . Your comment is even more ridiculous, sir. When did I mention Jaguar, 3DO, or Virtual Boy? CD-I was never meant to be a pure gaming system, so that comment is even more "ridiculous". Sorry, I never owned those systems so I couldn't compare. That's why I didn't mention them in my post, but you obviously weren't reading. I also mentioned how the systems had great games, but you failed to READ that.

Systems that stop working(time and time again) are not disappointing? Go ahead and search the rest of the internet about the ps1 and ps2s problems, and tell me what you find.

Bad luck? Since when does buying an expensive piece of electronic equipment involve luck? That's "ridiculous". But I guess if you purchase anything Sony, it does involve luck. I could show you numerous pieces of electronic equipment(and videogame systems) that still work for me fine. Coby and GPX made better electronics than Sony.

Fragile disc technology? Why does my Saturn still work with no problems? How about my launch-era Dreamcast? My Xbox, which I purchased used in 2004? I've seen Gamecubes beaten and battered that still work? There is no excuse, no matter how much you LOVE S(Ph)ony. That's disappointing to me.

Pacman0001

Postby Pacman0001 » March 19th, 2012, 10:46 am

The PS1 used a custom CD to combat piracy.  I'd imagine Coby & GPX use proven technology which they can buy cheaply.  Sony tries to be cutting edge, and that can cause reliability problems.  I haven't had many problems, but I got the systems late in their lives.  

soporj1

Postby soporj1 » March 19th, 2012, 1:30 pm

[QUOTE=Silver_Fox][QUOTE=soporj][QUOTE=Silver_Fox]PS1 and PS2, HANDS DOWN. [/QUOTE]<div><br></div><div>I know that hyperbole gets thrown around these forums at an enormous rate, but this comment is just ridiculous.</div><div><br></div><div>To say that the PS1 and PS2 were more disappointing than the overhyped and under-delivering 3DO, Jaguar, CD-I (and Virtual Boy if you count that as a console) is silly.</div><div><br></div><div>Sony has done some crappy things, but the PS1 and PS2 didn't disappoint people like the other consoles I mentioned.</div>[/QUOTE] Hyperbole? Nice of you to NOT READ my entire post, and quote one sentence of my post . Your comment is even more ridiculous, sir. When did I mention Jaguar, 3DO, or Virtual Boy? CD-I was never meant to be a pure gaming system, so that comment is even more "ridiculous". Sorry, I never owned those systems so I couldn't compare. That's why I didn't mention them in my post, but you obviously weren't reading. I also mentioned how the systems had great games, but you failed to READ that.

Systems that stop working(time and time again) are not disappointing? Go ahead and search the rest of the internet about the ps1 and ps2s problems, and tell me what you find.

Bad luck? Since when does buying an expensive piece of electronic equipment involve luck? That's "ridiculous". But I guess if you purchase anything Sony, it does involve luck. I could show you numerous pieces of electronic equipment(and videogame systems) that still work for me fine. Coby and GPX made better electronics than Sony.

Fragile disc technology? Why does my Saturn still work with no problems? How about my launch-era Dreamcast? My Xbox, which I purchased used in 2004? I've seen Gamecubes beaten and battered that still work? There is no excuse, no matter how much you LOVE S(Ph)ony. That's disappointing to me. [/QUOTE]

You said that the PS1 and PS2 were "HANDS DOWN" the most disappointing systems. That means that you think they were more disappointing that all other systems including the ones *I* mentioned.

Like I said, ridiculous.

ShadowAngel1

Postby ShadowAngel1 » March 19th, 2012, 2:27 pm

[QUOTE=Silver_Fox]
Systems that stop working(time and time again) are not disappointing? Go ahead and search the rest of the internet about the ps1 and ps2s problems, and tell me what you find.  [/QUOTE]

You never know how those people handle their systems. Keep them somewhere with no airflow, it's normal they overheat. Use them in a vertical position (i know they are supposed to work that way but if you think about: It's stupid and dangerous) which puts a lot more strain on the disc drive itself. Never cleaning them so they fill up with dust.
I have my PS2 for over 11 years now, never had any problems, it still works just like on the very first day.
Same with the PS1: The one i have is about 14 years old and still works perfect. My original PS1 failed but that was one of those early models where Sony (they are a stupid company) placed the disc drive next to the CPU so it got too warm.
My Xbox 360 also works fine: Red Ring of Death? Never had it because i make sure to clean the console and keep it somewhere with lots of space around it so it can get some cold air in it. I can run it 14 hours straight and there are no heat problems.
The newer systems just aren't like an Atari 2600 or Genesis which don't produce any heat, can be stored whereever you want to and even work upside down. They are more like PCs and need cleaning and some maintenance as well as some air so they don't overheat.

As for most disappointing console: Of course 3DO, CD-I, Amiga CD32, Virtual Boy, Atari 5200 and Jaguar are the first to mention.
I will name the Nintendo 64:
After years of hype and delays we got a console with one of the most horrible controllers ever, that still used Cartridges which not only were small but also expensive (N64 games were always a lot more expensive than Saturn or Playstation games) and a very lacking third-party support. Most multi-platform games were better on the Playstation, some companies saw the N64 as second-rate so the games were a lot worse (Compare Castlevania Symphony of the Night with the N64 Castlevanias) and in the end there are about 7-8 good exclusive games

Return to “Video Games General”