Survey: Most disappointing system?

General and high profile video game topics.
N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » March 19th, 2012, 8:21 pm

WHAT? I'm can't be hearing this

Right right right,not everyone has man-hands that get seriously cramped with regular controllers. Seriously only Jaguar,Dreamcast,Xbox,GameCube,and 64 were ever comfortable for someone like me to play with after becoming a teenager. Besides any D-Pad is better than Sony's terrible excuse

As for only 7-8 exclusives,BS. That would perfectly describe the Saturn though but not the 64 which I can name a good twenty. Can't believe you forgot Doom 64 which is entirely original.

And when it came to ports,64 was always superior,I mean just look at Resident Evil 2,Rayman 2, Quake (doesn't play so well on Saturn).

No,Silver Fox hit the nail on the head with PS2,supposedly all that great,but it had the lousiest online service,only had two controller ports, kept the same stupid controllers,and it had more shovelware than Wii ever has had. Even the original PSX wasn't so terrible.

I've known plenty of people who took good care of their 360's and still faced RRoD,people who gave the PS2 space and still had heating problems,and I've never seen a PS2 not go through disc-read errors at some point.

That said most systems always start off dissappointing at first I find,have to remind myself that things will get better

Silver_Fox1

Postby Silver_Fox1 » March 22nd, 2012, 12:28 pm

[QUOTE=soporj][QUOTE=Silver_Fox][QUOTE=soporj][QUOTE=Silver_Fox]PS1 and PS2, HANDS DOWN. [/QUOTE]<div><br></div><div>I know that hyperbole gets thrown around these forums at an enormous rate, but this comment is just ridiculous.</div><div><br></div><div>To say that the PS1 and PS2 were more disappointing than the overhyped and under-delivering 3DO, Jaguar, CD-I (and Virtual Boy if you count that as a console) is silly.</div><div><br></div><div>Sony has done some crappy things, but the PS1 and PS2 didn't disappoint people like the other consoles I mentioned.</div>[/QUOTE] Hyperbole? Nice of you to NOT READ my entire post, and quote one sentence of my post . Your comment is even more ridiculous, sir. When did I mention Jaguar, 3DO, or Virtual Boy? CD-I was never meant to be a pure gaming system, so that comment is even more "ridiculous". Sorry, I never owned those systems so I couldn't compare. That's why I didn't mention them in my post, but you obviously weren't reading. I also mentioned how the systems had great games, but you failed to READ that. <br><br>Systems that stop working(time and time again) are not disappointing? Go ahead and search the rest of the internet about the ps1 and ps2s problems, and tell me what you find. <br><br>Bad luck? Since when does buying an expensive piece of electronic equipment involve luck? That's "ridiculous". But I guess if you purchase anything Sony, it does involve luck. I could show you numerous pieces of electronic equipment(and videogame systems) that still work for me fine. Coby and GPX made better electronics than Sony.<br><br>Fragile disc technology? Why does my Saturn still work with no problems? How about my launch-era Dreamcast? My Xbox, which I purchased used in 2004? I've seen Gamecubes beaten and battered that still work? There is no excuse, no matter how much you LOVE S(Ph)ony. That's disappointing to me. [/QUOTE]<div><br></div><div>You said that the PS1 and PS2 were "HANDS DOWN" the most disappointing systems. That means that you think they were more disappointing that all other systems including the ones *I* mentioned.</div><div><br></div><div>Like I said, ridiculous.</div>[/QUOTE]My goodness, I don't mean to be rude but, you are a mod? OF COURSE THEY WOULD BE MORE DISAPPOINTING THEN THE SYSTEMS YOU MENTIONED, BECAUSE I NEVER OWNED OR PLAYED THEM. AGAIN, I will ask; Systems that stop working(time and time again) are not disappointing? NES and X360 are not forgiven, either. The facts of Sonys shoddy consoles have been proven(and very well-known). Do I have to throw links in your face?

You can't criticize a system or game you have never played, so I will not judge those systems you mention. I have owned multiple Phony game systems and they "are not of quality".

Fingersdrippingink1

Postby Fingersdrippingink1 » March 22nd, 2012, 5:03 pm

Silver_Fox, I appreciate what you're saying. Sony does make crappy products. I haven't had much trouble with PS2's, but I was definitely one of the people who played with a PSX at angle, then on its side, then completely flipped over to get it to work. Following that, it died. I played the thing all the time so maybe that's why. I also had a Sony Walkman that ate the first tape that went into it.

The PS3 failure rate is a debacle as much as the Xbox 360 one. Fact: bad hardware testing and manufacture in both cases. Each of us knows at least one person who has been burned by this generation's console failures. The one system I haven't heard much about this gen is the Wii.

The system I've had the most trouble with is the original Xbox. I'm on my fourth system, and I'm playing "Doom3: Resurrection of Evil," and the thing is taking forever to read the disk. I've already got the disc error message so it'll be dead soon. I'm not angry about this, however. I've had some great times playing Xbox, and still am. Both the exclusive and multi-platform games are awesome (usually the best on the Xbox) and the link-up capability still rules.

Everybody's got their own opinions, so respect them. There isn't a system I've found I don't like, because there's always a good game somewhere or at least an interesting one. That one game makes playing worthwhile.

TheLastNightmare1

Postby TheLastNightmare1 » March 29th, 2012, 2:13 am

The original Gameboy Advance.

I bought it just for Castlevania. I returned it the very same afternoon, unable to see the game to play it.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » March 29th, 2012, 5:00 am

Circle of the Moon exhibits some pretty dark graphics, yet, I didn't have
any problems, provided I played near some source of light. While the SP was a huge improvement, the original GBA hardly deserves to be labeled as "most disappointing system ever", they could never had released the SP, and it would 
still have been a success, thanks to some serious awesome games.

TheLastNightmare1

Postby TheLastNightmare1 » March 29th, 2012, 10:40 am

Some people had a problem seeing it, others didn't. If you were lucky, you didn't have a problem and got to enjoy a portable 32x earlier than the rest of us. ( It was much more powerful than an SNES. )

But there were more problems than just millions of people unable to see the games in most lighting conditions. The lack of a backlight caused many of the games to be reworked with a newer, tackier palette. The small carts caused many companies to reuse the original Z80 for sound - see the second Castlevania game for a highlight reel of compromises.

Other complaints include rushed out cash-ins: Phantasy Star randomly erased saves. Midway's Greatest Hits is a great way for would be game testers to see how observant they are. The port of the original Sonic the Hedgehog is somehow one of the worst Sonic games ever made.

And I've not even covered the disappointment awaiting anyone who walked into their 3d games without knowing the system could only do 3d in software, or Nintendo's habit of charging full price for old NES games.

Don't get me wrong, it's still one of my favorite systems of all time. I've completed Aria of Sorrow more times than any other game I've ever owned. But the GBA could have been, and should have been, so much more...

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » March 29th, 2012, 1:41 pm

If we're to look at its games, we'll be sure to find a few duds, like the Genesis Sonic port, but, as you know, bad games can be found on any system anyways. Yet, the GBA is blessed with a lot of good games, and you don't really have to dig deep to find those: the token Nintendo franchises, the three Castlevanias, some great arcade Capcom games ports...

I understand not being able to make out what's going onscreen would be a letdown though, and there's no denying the jump in quality when the SP came out.

Still, I found the original Game Boy screen difficult to decipher without a powerful source of light, like most people, but it didn't stop me to enjoy the library, long before improvements like the Light Boy, the Game Boy Light... even were available. And I'm not the only one, judging by its success. As bad as the screen may have been, few people would mention the GB as "most disappointing ever".

Compared to the first Game Boy, the original GBA screen is bliss, and it's a little hard for me to fathom millions of people unable to see the games in most lighting conditions. Experiencing difficulties at times? You bet. And I wouldn't want to play in full sunlight (I tried). But, those are small issues, especially at the time of release (few people had experienced things like the Pc Engine GT/Turbo Express, let alone the LT).

I'm aware of compromises they had to make every so often. The second Castlevania has more detailed graphics, but is rather average in the sound department, when the first Castlevania had state of the art sound. But again, when you look at other consoles, you'll find plenty of weird stuff like that, such as two versions of the first Final Fight on SNES lacking two player mode for example (and you had to have both versions in order to have access to all three playable characters).These issues can be annoying, but do they matter that much when it's all said and done? Hardware limitations, lack of memory, budget problems... have always been part of this industry, not just the GBA.

You got me interested, some people actually thought the GBA could deliver 3D, what, a la N64? I honestly didn't know, I suppose marketing went into play there.Anyone really interested in the system before release should have known what to expect, though. Anyways, taken from what it is, "a SNES on steroids", the GBA is one of my favorite systems of all time as well, and I felt the lack of 3D at a time when it seemed every other console had given up on 2D... refreshing. But, that's a matter of opinion, entirely.

I was disappointed with the GBA Micro revision, personnally. No Game Boy/Colour backwards compatibility, a screen on par anyways with the Backlit SP revision. Little to no appeal, beyond collecting purpose. But there
are certainly worst systems out there. Like the Hartung Game Master, but that's another story.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » March 29th, 2012, 4:07 pm

I enjoyed my GBA well enough, I never had any real problems with screen-glare or anything like that(though that backlight did come in handy for playing in the dark)  The GBA micro was incredibly pointless though, it didn't offer anything that the previous versions didn't have.

TheLastNightmare1

Postby TheLastNightmare1 » March 29th, 2012, 10:44 pm

This is why it's so much fun to have these kinds of system war debates. I had no problems with the original Gameboy screen, and the micro was my favorite system of all time for a few years. All I had to do was place my game library on a flash cart, and I had the first system that genuinely felt portable to me. Doom, Doom 2, Baulder's Gate, Rayman 3, Drill Dozer, Pokemon Pinball, Riveria, Super Monkey Ball, WarioWare, Mario Tennis - I could go on for hours about the good games, and the good memories...

At the same time, I'm not going to pretend the GBA system wasn't a disappointment compared to what it could be. One more example - Street Fighter Alpha 3 was crippled by the 4 button layout. Not a big deal ..unless you're a fighting game fan, like me.

Ultimately, though, this all comes down to opinion and personal experiences - some of the systems already listed in other posts I count among my favorites...

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » March 30th, 2012, 4:10 am

That's interesting. Are you saying you felt the original Game Boy has a better screen than the first GBA??
I agree, fighting games ports suffered from the lack of buttons, on any version of the console. The same could be said of fighting games available previously on older handhelds, though it depends on the games, (the Neo Geo Pocket fighting games come to mind, and, on GBA, original games like the first Dragon Ball Z Supersonic Warriors play just as great as the first Super Famicom versions, for instance). As a huge fan of fighting games myself, I always favored playing those on home consoles rather than handhelds, if only because it's always much easier to have someone else to play against. Of course, things are different now, with online systems like the 3DS and the Vita, but back then, you were supposed to provide two consoles, a special wire, and often two versions of the same game. Cool feature, but difficult to take advantage of most of the time.

Return to “Video Games General”