Survey: Most disappointing system?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 1st, 2010, 11:55 am

What is the most disappointing game system you ever acquired, and why?

Pixelcade1

Postby Pixelcade1 » May 1st, 2010, 1:15 pm

PSX - To me this was the worst video game system. It spelled out the downfall of everything I held to my heart in video game development. It changed the controller in a bad way that I still hate to this day. I've yet to play a game with good controls on that system besides Bust-a-Move. They felt cheap and started the less for more concept. Now I may very well be wrong here but wasn't it the first system to not put a pack in game or was that the N-64? I don't remember. Also demo's don't count in that statement.

I felt that unless you were a sports fan you didn't need a PSX. However it had one upside it taught me more about soldering as it was the first system I modded because I wanted quite a few import games. I bought one then put the system into my long term storage and it's yet to see the light of day.

Also the death of Final Fantasy in my eyes.

There ya go that's my most disappointing game system ever.

Viper821

Postby Viper821 » May 1st, 2010, 1:46 pm

Definately the N64. It's the only system I willingly gave away and consider it the worst financial decision I ever made (I was a teenager at the time). I loved Mario Kart and Perfect Dark/Goldeneye was OK (but horribly overrated) but every other game I had sucked, including South Park and NHL Breakaway '98. Sure, 3D had to crawl before running, but it doesn't make these early 3D titles any less painful. Add to that the outrageous cost (Over $100 on average NOT factoring in inflation) and this was a complete rip-off. Used N64 games are almost impossible to find, which makes me think not too many gamers care for this system either.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » May 1st, 2010, 2:08 pm

My first PS3, when it died. On top of that, the lousy level of service
provided by Sony really disgusted me back then. I'm really happy with
my current system, I just hope I won't have to deal with this issue again.

Josh

Postby Josh » May 1st, 2010, 2:30 pm

The Playstation One

I played my NES to death (literally). I had a ball playing games with my friends on the SNES.

The PS1 came out and everyone said that it was so great - it had 3d graphics and could play CD's. I got one - and yeah, it didn't come with a pack-in game. I kind of liked Tekken and maybe another game or two. But on a whole, I thought the games lacked the charm and fun of what I had experienced on Nintendo and Atari consoles.

I sold it at a local pawn shop and didn't get back into gaming for a long time.
To this day, I still have a refuse to buy anything Sony.

zzz

Postby zzz » May 1st, 2010, 6:37 pm

I would say the NES. Mabey I don't have the right games, or I expected too much. I don't know. If I could get my hands on some Super Mario games I'm sure I would change my mind.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 1st, 2010, 7:22 pm

I might have to go with the Jaguar here.  I didn't think it would live up to its "64 bit" hype, but I was hoping it was at LEAST be as good as the Genesis.  That's just not the case.  There are only a handful of decent games, and the console itself is lightweight and cheap.  The S-video plug is little more than an exposed circuit board in the back.

Another that comes to mind is the Intellivision.  There are some terrific games, but it's impossible to play the system for an extended period of time due to those awful controllers.

The Neo Geo CD was a bit of a bust as well.  The loading between rounds of the fighting games is unbearable!

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » May 1st, 2010, 7:40 pm

Depends,if it's by how many good games acquired to make it worth salt than Saturn.The only games I have for Saturn are Virtua Fighter 2,Daytona USA,Virtua Cop, and Tomb Raider. Only Virtua Cop and Tomb Raider are actually significant and to get more games is expensive plus I need a memory cartridge.

However my least favorite overall is GameCube with it's uninspired controller and games that lack that appeal and magic other Nintendo system has had [emphasis on the N64].The only standouts I have currently by Nintendo are Super Mario Sunshine [currently superior to Galaxy],Super Smash Bros.,Mario Kart,and Battalion Wars [I have Metroid Prime but my first thought to that game is [I]meh![/I]].And then in 3rd party only Sonic Adveture 2 Battle,Sonic Gems,and SSX Tricky are standouts.

However since I only have 3 systems and have yet to mass a huge library for either systems,I'm not afraid to say that not one system really dissappoints. I have yet to get some of the gems that count.

Edward1

Postby Edward1 » May 1st, 2010, 7:51 pm

I have bought the following system
Nes, SNES, Genesis, N64, PS1, DreamCast,  PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, Xbox 360, Wii, Ps3,   Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS, PSP.

Its hard to say I'm disappointed with any of those systems as they all provided quality games.     But if I have to single one out,   I would choose the game boy color.    It only had about a 2 and 1/2 year life span before Nintendo brought out the Game Boy Advance.   So I feel a little let down over that. 

Guy

Postby Guy » May 1st, 2010, 9:25 pm

The first 3do was a big disappointment because it broke down within 5 months. I paid about $1000 at launch. That price is including some games.

Return to “Video Games General”