Does a PS2 have lag issues on HDTV

General and high profile video game topics.
Josh

Postby Josh » October 10th, 2010, 2:57 pm

I was thinking of getting a PS2 to play some fighters and PS1 classics like Strider 2. But I was wondering - are there lag issues with a PS2 and HDTV.

I have a component cable that works with Wii/Xbox/PS2 and a 32' Samsung.
What about it? Lag or not to lag?

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » October 10th, 2010, 10:22 pm

You'll  just have to test it out and see for yourself. Not every HDTV is created equal and unless you can find a thread dedicated to people's impressions of your specific model at a forum like AVS from people that have tried it with older game consoles in the past, you'll just have to jump in and experience it first hand to find out.

There's always going to be some lag. There's no way to get around the fact that your television is going to have to upscale (And deinterlace in many cases) the PS2's output to match it with the set's native resolution and that's naturally going to always cause lag. Rather or not it's a significant amount that is going to cause annoyances is something you'll have to find out for yourself. Not every HDTV (And scaling chip) is created equal so what works well for someone's Panasonic plasma set isn't going to necessarily mean a thing for someone with a Samsung LCD.

And what is annoying lag to someone may not be noticeable to someone else because everyone is different. It also depends on the games you're playing. Significant lag is going to be extremely noticeable in something like a 2d shooter or fighting game, but probably isn't going to be much of an issue in something like Ridge Racer.

Also, there are different resolutions to deal with. Your HDTV and it's scaling chip might not struggle with something like a 480p signal, but might struggle and introduce a lot of lag when deinterlacing a 480i game. And some HDTV's hate 240p, which many PSOne games and a few PS2 games like Ico run at. Some HDTV's, especially when running a 240p signal through the component input on the television, won't even display a picture since the manufacturer never expected someone running such a low resolution signal through the television's component input.

If you have another console from the 480i/p era hooked up via component cables to your television (Such as a Xbox or Wii) and are pleased with the results, a Playstation 2 shouldn't be any different.

Sudz1

Postby Sudz1 » October 11th, 2010, 11:32 am

I have a rear-project LCD HD television that plays PS2 games without any lag at all, using the component cables.  Or rather I should say no noticeable lag - there may be one that's simply so minor it's imperceptible.  I believe plasma televisions are known to have more of a problem with lag with the older consoles, but if your tv is some flavor of LCD you might be fine.

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » October 11th, 2010, 1:49 pm

as said before, lag issues come from your television and not your console.  some hdtv sets have a 'game mode' that lessens the lag consideralby. 

the upside to this is lag issues will be present in all consoles... so when shopping for a television, bring along a crappy tv games plug-n-play to test out on demo sets.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 11th, 2010, 2:18 pm

[QUOTE=Leo]
If you have another console from the 480i/p era hooked up via component cables to your television (Such as a Xbox or Wii) and are pleased with the results, a Playstation 2 shouldn't be any different.
[/QUOTE]

Leo,
I agree with your post except for this last line.  The PS2 outputs in 480i (probably to stay backward compatible), but the Xbox and Wii output in 480p, which is much easier for HDTVs to process.  Personally I continue to use an old TV set for my PS2 for that reason.
Dave

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » October 11th, 2010, 8:03 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic][QUOTE=Leo]
[/QUOTE]

Leo,
I agree with your post except for this last line.  The PS2 outputs in 480i (probably to stay backward compatible), but the Xbox and Wii output in 480p, which is much easier for HDTVs to process.  Personally I continue to use an old TV set for my PS2 for that reason.
Dave
[/QUOTE]

Plenty of Playstation 2 games have a progressive scan mode.

There are even a handful of HD (1080i) titles (I know of Gran Turismo 4, Tourist Trophy, and Valkyrie Profile 2).  

The percentage of 480p games on the Xbox, GameCube, and Wii are higher. But you'll find no shortage of 480i only games on those consoles as well. So if your television offers pleasing results with those consoles, there's no reason why a Playstation 2 outputting the same resolutions should be any different.

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » October 11th, 2010, 10:22 pm

or you could splurge on a 20 or 60GB backwards compatible PS3.  these ps3 also upscale ps2 and ps1 games and look fantastic on an HD set

Luke

Postby Luke » October 12th, 2010, 2:31 am

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic][QUOTE=Leo] If you have another console from the 480i/p era hooked up via component cables to your television (Such as a Xbox or Wii) and are pleased with the results, a Playstation 2 shouldn't be any different. [/QUOTE] Leo, I agree with your post except for this last line. The PS2 outputs in 480i (probably to stay backward compatible), but the Xbox and Wii output in 480p, which is much easier for HDTVs to process. Personally I continue to use an old TV set for my PS2 for that reason. Dave [/QUOTE]Actually, you're wrong. There are a lot of games that can do 480p (Progressive Scan) on the PS2.

Here's a full list here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_games_with_HD_support

Note: Gran Turismo 4 and Tourist Trophy could also do 1080i!

Josh

Postby Josh » October 12th, 2010, 9:57 am

How can you tell which PS3 is backwards compatible?

Also, I read that the PS3 does not actually upscale games - is that wrong?

I really wouldn't mind getting a PS3 since it has more games that I would actually play than a 360.

Does anyone actually have a PS3 and know if there is a noticable change in PS2 games?

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » October 12th, 2010, 4:07 pm

"How can you tell which PS3 is backwards compatible?"

By hard drive size or model numbers.

http://www.edepot.com/playstation3.html#PS3_Model_Differences

"Also, I read that the PS3 does not actually upscale games - is that wrong?"

That's wrong in regards to PSOne and PS2 games.

It doesn't upscale Playstation 3 games though, as I recall from the early controversy surrounding it. So if you have your system set to 1080p and your PS3 game doesn't offer such a resolution, there isn't an internal scaler or processing power left over to upscale the output like the 360 is able to do with any 360 title.

It's never personally affected me though and I think was mostly confined to a few early titles. It's nothing to be concerned about. 

Return to “Video Games General”