Favourite Early 80's Arcade Game?

General and high profile video game topics.
Ferf131

Postby Ferf131 » February 3rd, 2015, 7:39 pm

My favorite 80's arcade is Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

Runner ups are:

Pengo
Robotron
Time Pilot

matmico1

Postby matmico1 » February 3rd, 2015, 8:32 pm

Venture and Berzerk were my greatest memories from an early 80's arcade. I am 45. Also great memories with Wizard of Wor and Armor Attack on a cocktail table. Has anyone done a remake of the long forgotten Armor Attack?

LS6501

Postby LS6501 » February 3rd, 2015, 10:11 pm

I remember playing a cocktail version of Omega Race as a kid and thinking it was terrific.  There are a couple of half-decent home conversion, but they don't quite measure up to the original arcade version.

I thought Tempest was a great arcade original.  And of course Star Wars The Arcade Game.

Hmm, all three are vector-based...

Paul1231

Postby Paul1231 » February 4th, 2015, 3:00 am

The corner market in my neighborhood as a kid had an amazing game called "Run Deep". You were a boat on the surface dropping slowly sinking bombs onto targets underwater. It was an amazing game with fantastic graphics, but I have never seen it anywhere else ever in my life. Amazing game. Most underrated in history if it really was as obscure as it seems to have been.

After that it was the arcade Robocop and Forgotten Worlds that had me making special trips to Wunderland, our local two-story arcade.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 4th, 2015, 8:26 pm

I think I'll have to go with Missile Command at the bowling alley.  Watching a good player handle the overwhelming waves was like watching an artist at work!

Tron1

Postby Tron1 » February 5th, 2015, 9:22 pm

Elevator Action - I was on a youth bowling team and I would skip my turn just to keep playing Elevator Action. My teammates would get mad at me, but i didn't care.

Tron - what a surprise. I liked having the options of what to do first. I thought the graphics were sharp and vibrant.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » February 13th, 2015, 9:35 am

Okay none of my games feature on anyone else's list of favourites.  

Mad Alien was the first.  It was in my local pub and it was a sit down table top game.  I remember my dad came into the pub and said to me "you are pretty good at that", probably the only words of encouragement he ever gave me.  I still like it today.  It is a sort of motor bike version of galaxian. I think it was a Data East game.

Then the next game they had was uni wars.  Irem software.  Four screens, galaxians at the start then perhaps Demon attack like apart from when they dropped in the fifth column.

Gorf Midway games.  I once said to the love of my life (at the time) that I had some amazing news.  I had been promoted to Space Avenger on Gorf on 1 credit with three ships.  She was distinctly unimpressed.   Classy.  All the faves in one game and a mother-ship to annihilate?  What is there not to love about Gorf?

Buck Rodgers planet of Zoom.  Totally awesome 3 d shooter from Sega. I used to play it for hours and I was quite good and could draw a crowd playing it. 

PitfallHarry1

Postby PitfallHarry1 » February 24th, 2015, 10:32 pm

Congo. Freaking. Bongo.

goldenband1

Postby goldenband1 » February 27th, 2015, 11:40 am

Probably something like this:

Galaga
Robotron: 2084
Star Wars
Tron
Tempest

Honorable mentions for Fire Truck, I, Robot, Major Havoc, Mad Planets, Marble Madness, Ms. Pac-Man, Phoenix, et al. I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting.

Marble Madness would probably be my #1 or #2 game, but I've never liked the trackball controls -- I much prefer playing with a gamepad or mouse, odd as that may seem. The best I've played is the Mega Drive conversion of the game, done by Tengen; it's completely different from the Genesis version and is just about arcade-perfect.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » February 27th, 2015, 1:27 pm

[QUOTE=PitfallHarry]Congo. Freaking. Bongo.[/QUOTE]
Great game.  I was useless at it.  The isometric 3d was quite revolutionary and rather hard to get your head round when it first came out.

Return to “Video Games General”