Greatest Golf Games

General and high profile video game topics.
Dennis

Greatest Golf Games

Postby Dennis » March 22nd, 2011, 10:21 pm

There was an arcade golf game called Mini Golf that was a blast... it used a trackball.  I've only seen it once before (at an Odd Lots, of all places).

I agree Kirby's Dream Course is an amazing game, and I wish the VGC would review it.

As for straight golf games, NES Open and Mario Golf games have always been my favorite.  The presentation is light-hearted, but they take the game seriously, and the courses in the Mario games are very creative.  My favorite parts of NES Open were betting money on holes, and giving names to the 40 other players in the tournament.  I always used video-game characters... it was fun to see, say, Samus Aran beating Von Kaiser and Karnov.

steer

Greatest Golf Games

Postby steer » March 23rd, 2011, 6:02 am

The Wii Sports Golf is the best.

Sometimes I like the resort version better sometime the original - hard to decide!

andrew

Greatest Golf Games

Postby andrew » March 23rd, 2011, 9:19 am

I'm surprised you don't like Lee Trevino's fighting gold O-Storm. It's actually one of my favorite golf games. Good courses (2), play control is solid and the music is good too.

Tim Possible

Greatest Golf Games

Postby Tim Possible » March 23rd, 2011, 7:43 pm

I always liked NES Open Tournament Golf and adding PGA Tour members to the list of I believe 60 golfers to compete against. The game had the battery backup feature

Tiger Woods 2004 for PS2. I got to admit when you shot -70 for 4 rounds it is a bit unrealistic but is fun to play.

Tiger Woods 10 for Wii. Like playing frisbee golf with my son.

Alvatron

Greatest Golf Games

Postby Alvatron » March 23rd, 2011, 9:01 pm

Super Swing Golf and Super Swing Golf Season 2 for the Wii.  Critic, if you have not tried them then you really should.  Super addictive games!

Logan Ruckman

Greatest Golf Games

Postby Logan Ruckman » March 23rd, 2011, 10:05 pm

I rented a Super Monkey Ball game on my DS once and I was impressed by it.

Luke

Greatest Golf Games

Postby Luke » March 24th, 2011, 1:39 am

Golf (NES)
Mario Golf (N64)
Peter Jacobsen's Golden Tee Golf (Arcade/PS1)
Hot Shots Golf 3 (PS2)
Tee-Off (Dreamcast)

0-Storm

Greatest Golf Games

Postby 0-Storm » March 24th, 2011, 8:36 am

Links 2004 XBox sounds like something I need to check out.

Kirby sounds fun, but not much like actual golf.

The Wii Sports & Resort games are fun, but once I started playing Tiger Woods on the Wii I stopped playing those. If anything the Wii golf games are more challenging & I should check them out again.

Of all the games I listed I spent the least time with Lee Trevino & that was only a few minutes many years ago. So I should give it another try.  

Just played Hal's Hole in One Golf on the SNES. It was one of the earliest SNES games released so that should tell you a lot already. It's playable & fun, but very shallow. Play it a couple of times, have some fun & then have no desire to play it again. The putting is lame. You putt using the same swing you do as your other clubs.

I have Mario Golf on the 64, but I have yet to really play it. I'm waiting until I get that graphics expansion pack before I unbox my 64 stuff again.

Golden Tee in the arcades were fun, but I'm not a trackball fan. I knew a guy that actually broke one of his fingers slamming it into the screen.

Dennis

Greatest Golf Games

Postby Dennis » March 24th, 2011, 9:55 pm

[QUOTE=0-Storm] 
Just played Hal's Hole in One Golf on the SNES
[/QUOTE]

LOVED this game when I was a kid.  The "flyovers" and the closeups on the green blew my mind.  Also, they had a contest where you'd win a free Callaway putter if you got a hole-in-one on a certain hole, so I spent hours trying.  Ironically, that's the only golf game I've ever played regularly that I DIDN'T get a hole-in-one on.

snakeboy1

Greatest Golf Games

Postby snakeboy1 » March 24th, 2011, 10:05 pm

Return to “Video Games General”