Any Sony Trinitron television owners here?

General and high profile video game topics.
Leo1

Postby Leo1 » June 1st, 2011, 12:34 am

Bought a nice 24" standard definition Sony Trinitron today with composite, s-video, and component connections. Had my eye on a 32" HD Trinitron with a HDMI input until I started taking measurements of my vehicle, doors in my house, and where my current set sits (Plus I noticed the weight), so I had to back out of the deal since it was just too big all around. This 24" set, at over 70 pounds, was still a back breaker trying to get it inside. I can't imagine a 32" beast that is 100 pounds more.

But it was worth it. I can't believe at how nice the picture is on this thing.

Just wasted an hour playing games on the Atari Jaguar via composite (Need to acquire a s-video cable someday for the Jag) and couldn't believe how impressive the picture looked and at how many details I had been missing. Looking at the screen when playing Super Burnout makes me feel like I'm standing in front of an arcade cabinet. Very nice game and the television enhanced the experience 100%.

Can't wait to see what something like the Wii or Xbox looks like via component if the Jaguar via composite is this good.

Does anyone else have a Trinitron or similar high quality CRT from the last decade or so? Didn't realize at how bad my 20" Philips CRT was until now (Wasn't a cheap set in 2005, but it was far from top of the line and was much more of a mid range offering). If not, keep a eye out on things like Craigslist. Lots of people are getting rid of the best CRT's ever produced for a song these days as they upgrade to HD sets. Tons of deals to be had for well under $100.

I especially see lots of 32" Trinitron models around here as I kept a eye out in recent weeks. Guess people don't want to be the ones that have to lug them out of their house so they're almost giving them away (We're talking about well over 150 pounds here with something with a shape that makes carrying it even worse).

Very pleased so far beyond some overscan issues that I might be able to solve in a service menu if I get brave.

Dennis

Postby Dennis » June 1st, 2011, 9:50 pm

I bought a 27-inch Sony Trinitron in 1998 as my first TV out of college.  I just got rid of it last year when I replaced it with a 55-inch Samsung LED, which (obviously) puts the Sony to shame.  But it was a very good TV for 12 years... never had any problems with it and the picture was great for a CRT. 

I gave away my Trinitron to a friend to pay her back for free baseball tickets she had gotten me earlier.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » June 1st, 2011, 9:57 pm

Don't play many classic gamers?

Or does your HDTV actually handle them well enough? I hated how most of my game consoles looked on my HDTV (Even 480p games on a system like the Xbox hooked up via component had obvious scaling issues). Mine does a very poor job of deinterlacing content and not a heck of a lot better job at upscaling content. So I avoid playing anything on there beyond HD content and only have my 360 and PS3 hooked up to it.

So when it came time to replace my CRT (Was starting to have some issues after half a decade), I knew I was going to replace it with another CRT. I'd of been willing to give a HD CRT a try since they handle different resolutions much better, but I was never going to be happy playing things like my Atari 2600 on a LCD, plasma, or DLP set.

Dennis

Postby Dennis » June 2nd, 2011, 10:09 am

I play my classic games on my basement TV, a 32-inch JVC CRT.  Only the Wii is hooked up to the Samsung (and it would be downstairs, too, if my wife didn't like to play it once in a while).

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » June 2nd, 2011, 12:23 pm

If you can find a Sony WEGA HD tube TV it will probably beat both the Trinitron tube AND the Samsung when it comes to both modern and classic gaming.  Of course it will weigh like 300 pounds (36"-40") so you will need a column of cinder blocks to support it, which the wife might disapprove of...

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » June 2nd, 2011, 8:43 pm

[QUOTE=Paul Campbell] Of course it will weigh like 300 pounds (36"-40") so you will need a column of cinder blocks to support it, which the wife might disapprove of...
[/QUOTE]

I'd love such a tv. But my back wouldn't appreciate it, my vehicle wouldn't accomodate it so I'd have to borrow a pickup, and there are two spots in my house where it would have had to go through a door frame and immediately have to make a 90 degree turn through another door to get to where all my consoles are set up. All were problems that made me go with a bit smaller tv. 

I had my eyes on a nice little used 32" HD Wega 4:3 CRT for $40 (People are all but giving these things away these days) that included 3 composite connections on the rear, s-video, component, HDMI, and a front composite input until I looked up the specs and started taking measurements. I realized even that size was just a bit too massive for me.

Still sad about having to pass on that. But my muscles were a bit sore the day afterwards just lugging the 70 pound 24" one around and it was still a tight squeeze in a spot or two.

If there was ever any real negatives with CRT's, it's their size and weight (And I suppose their common overscan and geometry issues, but I've had good luck helping tv's out in those areas through their service menus over the years). Otherwise I still feel like this over 60 year old technology is still superior to plasmas, LCD/LED's, and DLP's.

Fingers dripping ink

Postby Fingers dripping ink » June 4th, 2011, 4:38 am

I want a WEGA CRT model. They're regularly on sale or free around where I live. The problem of course is the size and the weight. A 36 incher weighs 245 pounds, and I'm pretty sure I couldn't get it through the door...

Carl1

Postby Carl1 » November 23rd, 2011, 5:14 pm

Hi there!

First post here, but I've been reading for some time.

I recently aquire a trinitron wega 34" widescreen monster (193 lbs outch!) for the pretty amount of 0$

The image quality in incredible for a CRT but I was wondering if a light gun would work on it because of the anti-reflect film?

thanks!

Luke

Postby Luke » November 23rd, 2011, 6:52 pm

Old school lightguns don't work on HD CRT's.

I think it's because they need the scanlines?

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » November 23rd, 2011, 7:13 pm

I doubt the anti-reflect film would have any effect. But being a widescreen set, I really doubt it's going to work. Lightguns are built with the expectation of a CRT using an electron gun with a set number of pixels and refresh rate. So having a 16:9 display seems likely to break compatibility since any variance beyond what was the standard for televisions since the 1950's, except going with a flatscreen model (Which won't cause issues, lightguns don't care about the curvature of the screen), is going to break compatibility.

And if your set supports progressive scan or is a HD set, it 100% won't work with light gun games.

Return to “Video Games General”