On-line gaming, is it age related?

General and high profile video game topics.
Ken1

Postby Ken1 » June 15th, 2011, 11:56 am

When it comes to on-line gaming and on line multi-player I could care less. Though it seems to be huge among younger people. Meaning teens into twenties. However I'm 38 and I could care less about on-line multi-player. When it comes to games that lend themselves to multi-player, which overwhelmingly tend to be first person shooters. I'm much more interested in the single player mode. So I was wondering, is on line multi-player something that younger gamers are into? As opposed to older gamers like myself? 

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » June 15th, 2011, 2:13 pm

I think there are 2 types of people that like online play. The younger generation does like online play more than us geezers, I'm not old but I'm pushing 30, and I don't like online play. The other type of people that like online play are the rpg freaks, and it doesn't matter how old they are. Either way, they are both way too into online play, and its obviously negatively impacting the industry.

Potts

Postby Potts » June 15th, 2011, 4:15 pm

I'm 25 and an "RPG Freak", and I hate online gaming, I'd rather play with actual friends or by myself. I just dont see the point of putting a stupid headset on and talking to people and stuff like that while playing these shooters. I just simply dont get it. Plus I suck at these new games and I'd probably piss people off in a co-op type thing.  Then again, I have barely touched the 7th generation. I'm stubbornly stuck in the past, and I prefer it that way.

Chaser1

Postby Chaser1 » June 15th, 2011, 4:16 pm

I'll be 36 here in a couple weeks and I don't do online gaming. For me there is absolutely no appeal in gaming with total strangers. I also have no interest in chatting with strangers on IM applications either. When I was younger and single I would chat with women online if it meant a possible hook-up later, but that's it. When I'm gaming with friends we do it in the same room (or at least same apartment--we do system link occasionally) and usually over lots of cold beer! I wouldn't want it any other way.

JesusSaves

Postby JesusSaves » June 15th, 2011, 4:57 pm

[QUOTE=Ken]

When it comes to on-line gaming and on line multi-player I could care less.

[/QUOTE]
Sorry, this is one of my pet peeves. It's could NOT care less.

And on topic, it does seem to do mostly with age. Those of us that are more accustomed to older technology and playing locally with people we know seem to like online gameplay less than those that aren't.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » June 15th, 2011, 5:15 pm

I see plenty of people in their 30's at places like the AVS forums and elsewhere that attract a older audience that seem to think the only aspect to current generation gaming is the online component.

I play games online on occasion, but outside of some PC racing simulations and various Half-Life 1 multiplayer components that occupied a good chunk of my gaming time for years, it's typically been something that has never pulled me in.

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » June 15th, 2011, 5:30 pm

Online gaming is still in the medieval stages. As far as technology, think of online gaming as 1950s television. They need time to develop it. Think of sports games; I'm always telling my friend Rob that 10 years from now there will be online leagues for Madden where 32 guys can play and there will be all of these innovations like for instance, 1) you'll be able to watch film of everyone's games to know their playcalling tendencies. Isn't it ridiculous that these FREAKING systems (PS3, XBox360) say how powerful they are but you still can only go back a few seconds in a replay. You should be able to see the whole game its just ridiculous. 2) the leagues will be really competitive, there will be money involved. In conclusion, we're just in the wrong era with online play. It needs to develop, and for crying outloud, let me go back more than 10 damn seconds in a replay.

Viper821

Postby Viper821 » June 15th, 2011, 6:16 pm

I think the main reason why online gamers are usually teenage boys is because they are the only ones who can stomach the language and cheating. Do these 13 year old's parents have a clue? Surely they must eventually hear the hate speech they get on with? I would love to play online provided it was restricted to those with at least some manners, like the members of this message board.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » June 15th, 2011, 6:55 pm

[QUOTE=JesusSaves][QUOTE=Ken]

When it comes to on-line gaming and on line multi-player I could care less.

[/QUOTE]
Sorry, this is one of my pet peeves. It's could NOT care less.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah this drives me round the bend too.

People seem to be getting confused here offline versus online multiplayer is a completely different topic to gaming with friends versus gaming with strangers.

I game online with my friends all the time, we rarely play videogames together offline at all.  It's infinitely more convenient and allows us to play together way more than we would otherwise.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 15th, 2011, 10:10 pm

On-line has more appeal if you are really really into a game and want to get as much as you can out of it.  I know a few first-person shooter nuts who really enjoy the challenge of playing the best.

Then again, to reach that skill level you typically need to invest a lot of time into a particular game.  Kids typically have more free time (and different priorities) than adults, so it's easier for them to master a game.

As for the language, I don't think it's so bad if you don't use the headphones.

I enjoy playing sports games with my friend in Kentucky, but otherwise I probably wouldn't miss on-line play.  I think it tends to be overrated.

Return to “Video Games General”