On-line gaming, is it age related?

General and high profile video game topics.
TedE.Bear

Postby TedE.Bear » June 15th, 2011, 10:31 pm

I do think it is heavily age-related.  I am 39 now and would have LOVED on-line gaming in my teens and early 20's.  Before the world "rolled me over", that is.

Problem is now....kids.  Paying bills.  Trying to coordinate a session with your pals and dealing with their schedules.  Too tired & stressed after work and most relevant of all (in my opinion) ....sick and tired of other humans as without a doubt, people suck A LOT of the time.

The few valuable hours a week I have to spend playing video games - I am DELIGHTED to play an older system by myself. 

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 16th, 2011, 7:28 am

[QUOTE=TedE.Bear]

Problem is now....kids.  Paying bills.  Trying to coordinate a session with your pals and dealing with their schedules.  Too tired & stressed after work and most relevant of all (in my opinion) ....sick and tired of other humans as without a doubt, people suck A LOT of the time.

[/QUOTE]

There is a lot of truth to this!  I play games largely as an escape from the real world.  For most games I want to be in my own little world.  I certainly don't want to invite strangers into it.

gilly

Postby gilly » June 16th, 2011, 9:38 am

After work I like to get away from people and offline gaming does this for me. Just me, the game, and a glass of scotch.

Scott

Postby Scott » June 16th, 2011, 9:45 am

Well I guess I am in the minority here as I am an older gamer at the age of 39 and I really enjoy most on line games. Some of you are saying that you like to play with your buddies, so why cant you play with them on line, this is much more convient for everyone as we have families and not able to drive over and play a few games and then drive home. The things I do not like are when playing someone and they quit because they are losing, this drives me crazy or if they find a cheat and there is no way to beat them.  I have met a few solid gamers on line and I take down there screen name and add them as a friend and have built a solid list of on line gamers that is enjoyable to play with.
     Someone mentioned that in 10 years there would on line leauge's in Madden and other sports games, this is already available and works pretty darn well. There is also websites that have the records and stats and even highlights of the games played. You cant watch the whole game as he mentioned but plenty of great features in online leagues, only down side is getting in a solid league that will not fold half way through the season.
Sorry to ramble but I think online gaming is a lot of fun if done with the right people and is here to stay.

0-Storm

Postby 0-Storm » June 16th, 2011, 1:01 pm

If I want to talk to someone I'll invite them over or go to their house. I don't talk on the phone. If I want to play video games with someone I either have them over or go to their house. I don't play games with them online.

Michael Prymula

Postby Michael Prymula » June 17th, 2011, 9:26 pm

It's not necessarily age-related I'm 21 and I have no interest whatsoever in online gaming, single-player is more then enough for me, I can't afford to maintain a monthly Xbox subscription and i've never been big on multi-player to begin with, so i'll be more then content to ignore online gaming.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » June 18th, 2011, 9:57 am

[QUOTE=0-Storm]

If I want to talk to someone I'll invite them over or go to their house. I don't talk on the phone. If I want to play video games with someone I either have them over or go to their house. I don't play games with them online.

[/QUOTE]

Then you are very lucky having your friends live so close and who clearly have some very forgiving family who don't mind you turning up like that.

0-Storm

Postby 0-Storm » June 18th, 2011, 5:22 pm

Forgiving? Nonsense I say. It's always a pleasure when I invite myself over.

Ken1

Postby Ken1 » June 18th, 2011, 7:47 pm

Well, I do have to admit. I did play Street Fighter on-line. Which I did enjoy. Of course you still come across those who quit if they are losing, cheat, and act like total asses. Of course I even made a few friends. Some chaps from merry old England!  : )

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » June 18th, 2011, 8:02 pm

I'm 18,and I'll tell ya' right now.I can't stand having wireless routers and strangers determining my enjoyment of the multiplayer experience.I love multiplayer video games,but only so long as I can see my opponents

I mean I'll play online the first time to see how much it brings up the game,but no more.

If I can't escape,I'm gonna be amused by me beating the heck outta whoever I play against,and online gaming just won't do that

Return to “Video Games General”