At the Beach

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

At the Beach

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 22nd, 2011, 7:45 pm

I spent a few days down the beach and took my Nintendo DS.  I only played one game, Sonic Chronicles (an RPG), and it's great.  Very intuitive, nicely paced, and low difficulty.  It's probably an ideal game for someone new to RPGs.  Expect a review soon.

Also while on the beach I was thinking about some of the better beach-related video games like Cool Spot and Greendog - both for the Genesis.  Then it occurred to me that if I owned a Nomad, I could actually play those on the beach!  I think that might be pretty cool.  I might have to look into that.

Michael Prymula

At the Beach

Postby Michael Prymula » June 22nd, 2011, 8:01 pm

Glad your liking Chronicles critic, but beware, the difficulty REALLY picks up towards the end!  BTW Any chance you'll ever check out the other two Sonic Riders games? 

Blueguy93

At the Beach

Postby Blueguy93 » June 22nd, 2011, 8:03 pm

Seriously? You think Sonic Chronicles is awesome? It's gotten average reviews by the media, but from the sound of it, it sounds awesome. Are you finished with the game, or will you still need more time to write a review? And no, I'm looking into details of your progress, for my short attention span.

nesfan1

At the Beach

Postby nesfan1 » June 22nd, 2011, 11:09 pm

Sonic Chronicles is pretty fun. My personal favorite part is giving the meanest possible answers to Tails and Amy Rose. I really hate those characters. 

Burk1

At the Beach

Postby Burk1 » June 23rd, 2011, 1:09 am

[QUOTE]Then it occurred to me that if I owned a Nomad, I could actually play those on the beach![/QUOTE
 I am taking a long vacation in a couple months and I plan on getting a Retrogen or a Gen Mobile for the exact reasons as you, and for the long flights as well. I have read a lot of reviews,and they seem to play very well. Also,people think the screen is better, and I am pretty sure that the Lith-Ion batteries are a huge advantage over the Nomad. If you get one of these,please let us know what you think.

On a side bar, I just picked up Greendog from the goodwill this week for 99 cents,complete. I had never heard of it prior. I have not played it yet.

Luke

At the Beach

Postby Luke » June 23rd, 2011, 2:33 am

Are you sure it's a good idea (or even safe) to have handhelds out in warm/hot weather?

Michael Prymula

At the Beach

Postby Michael Prymula » June 23rd, 2011, 2:52 am

You should definitely get a Nomad, when I was a kid, my mom got me one for by birthday, it was perfect for the long car rides whenever we went on vacation, battery life was a bit of an issue(though not quite as bad as the PSP in that department) But aside from that, I loved the thing to death.

Adamant1

At the Beach

Postby Adamant1 » June 23rd, 2011, 5:54 am

You should give the Boktai games for the GBA a go, they were specifically designed to be played outdoors, utilizing a solar panel on the cartridge as part of the gameplay.

JesusSaves

At the Beach

Postby JesusSaves » June 23rd, 2011, 7:30 am

Although the Nomad's battery life isn't too horrible, (especially if you use the AC Adaptor/Car Adaptor when you can), the screen quality is. The screen is worse than the Game Gear's, and due to the higher quality graphics of Genesis games, the blurring effect is much more pronounced. It's virtually impossible to play Shmups because the bullets blur into the background and platformers aren't much better. The best games for the nomad are probably driving games (like Super Hang-on) because the blurring effect actually makes the road and sense of motion look more realistic . RPGs and First Person Dungeon Crawlers are fine too due to their slow pace.

Oltobaz1

At the Beach

Postby Oltobaz1 » June 23rd, 2011, 10:21 am

While not great, the Nomad' screen is definitely better than the Game Gear's, in my opinion. It's not as good as the PC Engine GT/Turbo Express, of course, but
I'd still pick a Nomad over these new Retro clones that might have better screens. Usually, Mega Drive and NES clones aren't great in terms of sound and graphics when compared to the originals, while the SNES clones are very faithful, for some reasons.
It's not perfect, but the Nomad is definitely a worthwhile investment. Just don't take it to the beach, you'll probably damage the screen if it's too windy, due to the sand, and if it's too sunny, you won't be able to see much of your game
anyway.

Return to “Video Games General”