Am I the only one who didn't know the PS3 is completely backwards compatible with the PS1????

General and high profile video game topics.
Bikeage

Am I the only one who didn't know the PS3 is completely backwards compatible with the PS1????

Postby Bikeage » June 25th, 2011, 1:07 am

I do not own a PS3, but have friends that do, and did not know this. I too would have assumed that only the PS2 compatible systems would support PS1. Too bad my pals with PS3's are the type who scoff at playing any game not released in the past six months.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » June 25th, 2011, 2:04 am

[QUOTE=Paul Campbell]Actually, I have a feeling all component connections would handle the bandwidth, it was just that the manufacturer didn't allow 1080p through the component connections for whatever reason, and used the bandwidth thing as a bit of a scapegoat.[/QUOTE]

You're right, as far as I'm aware. That's why the Playstation 3 can display games in HD resolutions via component (And upscaled PSOne, and if compatible, PS2 games), but not upscaled DVD's. And within the past few weeks, new Playstation 3's can no longer output Blu-Ray's in HD via component in order to comply with Blu-Ray Disc Association standards. It's all about DRM and HDMI standards have many more protections in place compared to analog video.

Still, I'd be curious if you switched to 480i someday and saw how that PSOne game looked (No need to switch away from HDMI). I think you might end up giving more credit to the upscaling of the emulator than the digital video routing it takes to your television. I know that at least in my case that it's horrible looking when I turn off upscaling for PSOne games.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » June 26th, 2011, 3:58 am

[QUOTE=Leo]And it has a considerable effect. PSOne games actually look nice on my HDTV, which has a poor internal scaler. It's a huge advancement from any of my pre HD consoles when hooked up to that set, including the PS2 or Xbox when hooked up via component (For all intensive purposes, it's considered pretty much equivalent to HDMI from a video quality standpoint).
[/QUOTE]

I still think it looks pretty bad, these games were just designed with the look of the CRT set in mind.  Plus the PS3 introduces some of it's own graphical artifacts like in Rage Racer where it flickers the skybox colour along the polygon edges at a pretty rapid rate in the mid distance. 

Return to “Video Games General”