Motorstorm Apocalypse Outrage

General and high profile video game topics.
JesusSaves

Postby JesusSaves » July 20th, 2011, 12:21 pm

[QUOTE=Luke][QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]Anyway we were absolutely disgusted, and Chris told me that under no circumstances could I give this game anything higher than a C+.
[/QUOTE]That's ridiculous. I understand your issue with the online. But you're over-exaggerating about a very small portion of the game. [/QUOTE]
It is absolutely absurd to knock the game so much just because you experienced frustration with a single mode of the game.

Sudz1

Postby Sudz1 » July 20th, 2011, 4:41 pm

[QUOTE=JesusSaves]
It is absolutely absurd to knock the game so much just because you experienced frustration with a single mode of the game.
[/QUOTE]

I don't know about that, some people buy games like Motorstorm specifically because they enjoy racing against friends over beers - it may be a 'single' mode of the game, but it could be the entire reason someone purchased it.  I also do not understand the rationale behind forcing a user to go online to play a split-screen multiplayer with people who are in your living room with you.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 20th, 2011, 4:46 pm

I disagree that the split-screen modes are "a very small portion of the game".  Umm, actually it's been a pretty big deal since Super Mario Kart on the SNES.  And with the popularity of large wide-screen televisions, split-screen should be standard issue in every racing game.

As an Sudz stated, the split-screen races are a big draw for me and my friends.  In some cases I play them more than the single player.

0-Storm

Postby 0-Storm » July 20th, 2011, 4:48 pm

Anyone who thinks that online gaming provides more good than bad should really take a look at this:

1. One-time downloadable codes for new games.
2. Content being left off games so that it can be sold seperately.
3. Games not being tested properly to fix bugs. Relying on gamers to find them & then patch them after release.
4. Paper manuals being replaced by in-game instructions.
5. Games available only as dlc.
6. Preorder dlc for games so nobody knows what the definitive version of a game is.
7. Forcing gamers to be online in order to play modes of the game that has absolutely no reason or need to be online.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » July 20th, 2011, 5:16 pm

None of that is happening because of online multiplayer.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » July 21st, 2011, 8:29 am

[QUOTE=MoonMetropolis]It's kind of like Bionic Commando Rearmed 2, which forces you to log into PSN every single time you want to play it.  Gaming is not what it used to be.  It's all about screwing over the customers nowadays. 

I will say, however, that the Wii's Netflix streaming is pretty crappy, to be honest.  But, hey, at least it's free (if you're willing to pay extra for Netflix streaming, since even Netflix is trying to screw people over now).

[/QUOTE]

No that was trying to combat the widespread piracy of Capcoms games by PS3 owners. Blame those stealing the games not the creators.

Luke

Postby Luke » July 21st, 2011, 2:49 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]I disagree that the split-screen modes are "a very small portion of the game". Umm, actually it's been a pretty big deal since Super Mario Kart on the SNES. And with the popularity of large wide-screen televisions, split-screen should be standard issue in every racing game. As an Sudz stated, the split-screen races are a big draw for me and my friends. In some cases I play them more than the single player. [/QUOTE]Well obviously it's up to you how you choose to rate your games. But you have to understand that a lot of your readers (if not most of them) probably do not care about local split-screen mode. Also, it did score great reviews across the board from other critics. So I think you should at least spend more quality time with the rest of the game before you knock it down to such a low grade, like a C.

Luke

Postby Luke » July 21st, 2011, 2:51 pm

[QUOTE=0-Storm]4. Paper manuals being replaced by in-game instructions. [/QUOTE]What would that have to do with online?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 21st, 2011, 6:09 pm

Somebody on Twitter told me that a four-player split-screen is available via the quick race mode.  I will have to look into that.

If that's the case, it might just be a case of a really bad user interface.  Stay tuned.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 21st, 2011, 6:30 pm

Well apparently there is a 2-4 player split screen mode available off-line.  As it turns out, you have to select the Quick Race mode, and then configure up to four controllers.

If you go to Multiplayer->Split-screen (like any reasonable person would), the game will block you from going any further unless you are on-line.

So basically this boils down to a terrible, non-intuitive user interface.  It amazes me that in 2011 game designers can't come up with a logical menu system.

I will try the split-screen next time I have friends over and try to get a full review posted soon.

Return to “Video Games General”