Motorstorm Apocalypse Outrage

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 21st, 2011, 6:48 pm

While I'm relieved I can play the split-screen off-line, I think this exposes another problem introduced by on-line play: You never know what modes you can or can't play! 

They really should have an on-line sub-menu to keep that stuff separate.  Otherwise there's mass confusion.

andrew

Postby andrew » July 21st, 2011, 9:06 pm

A bad interface is worth at least a 1/3 grade deduction like a B+ to a B (note that is just an example, not an accurate review grade)

Split-screen whikle racing others online is a nice though. Nobody gets left out.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » July 21st, 2011, 9:27 pm

There aren't many games I've enjoyed in splitscreen mode over the years. Anything beyond 2 player was just typically too small for my eyes, too downgraded graphical, etc. And only a few 2 player splitscreen games ever completely satisified me (Games like Super Mario Kart and Top Gear that were built from the groundup for 2 player splitscreen).

I'd like to try it with a modern racer in this era of big screen, widescreen, HDTV's. Any examples of a good one that has splitscreen local multiplayer that isn't a kart racer from this generation?

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]No that was trying to combat the widespread piracy of Capcoms games by PS3 owners. Blame those stealing the games not the creators.[/QUOTE]
For a while, Sony and several publishers encouraged "game sharing" on PSN.

It's still not against any EULA or anything I'm aware of to allow your games to be activated on someone else's console. Capcom just specifically didn't want it to happen any longer with their games.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » July 22nd, 2011, 3:20 am

I'm still amazed that a few people back there can be quoted as saying that off-line split-screen multiplayer should be considered a small part of the game!  What is wrong with you people?  I would play through a game like that once or twice in single player mode, and then play it a million times afterwards when friends came over in split-screen mode, and ONLY in split screen mode.  Gimme a break!  Do you people not leave your houses or have people visit very much?  Have we become that closed of a society?

0-Storm

Postby 0-Storm » July 22nd, 2011, 10:09 am

[QUOTE=Luke][QUOTE=0-Storm]4. Paper manuals being replaced by in-game instructions. [/QUOTE]What would that have to do with online?[/QUOTE]

My bad. I admit that isn't directly related to online gaming. It does, however, fuel the industry's attempts to make games look like disposable merchandise. If games aren't collectable or have value then why not just download them?

What say you Luke about my other points?

JesusSaves

Postby JesusSaves » July 22nd, 2011, 11:00 am

[QUOTE=Paul Campbell]What is wrong with you people?
[/QUOTE]
Nothing except that we have a different opinion from you.

Luke

Postby Luke » July 22nd, 2011, 12:10 pm

[QUOTE=Paul Campbell]I'm still amazed that a few people back there can be quoted as saying that off-line split-screen multiplayer should be considered a small part of the game! What is wrong with you people? I would play through a game like that once or twice in single player mode, and then play it a million times afterwards when friends came over in split-screen mode, and ONLY in split screen mode. Gimme a break! Do you people not leave your houses or have people visit very much? Have we become that closed of a society? [/QUOTE]Most of my friends prefer fighting games and fps deathmatches when playing against one another.

Like another reader said, playing racing games in split-screen usually downgrades the graphics and frame-rate considerably.

Michael Prymula

Postby Michael Prymula » July 22nd, 2011, 1:56 pm

Paul-I get what you're saying, but some of us just don't care about multiplayer period(mostly because I don't have any friends that live very close to me)

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » July 22nd, 2011, 3:36 pm

Growing up, my friends and I rarely played videogames together. It was a interest we all had in common, for the most part, but it was something we did on our own.

When we're together, even to this day, we're doing other activities. Sitting in front of a tv playing games was something you did on your own when you weren't socializing with people, beyond rare occasions.

ajsmart1

Postby ajsmart1 » July 22nd, 2011, 6:29 pm

Sounds to me like you can have local split screen racers racing in the same on-line matches together.  Which would be very cool... have four friends local, another 8 on-line.  If this is indeed true, I think it should get a grade bump up!

Return to “Video Games General”