3DS Is Becoming Virtual Boy 2

General and high profile video game topics.
Michael D

Postby Michael D » July 27th, 2011, 3:27 pm

I've given Nintendo the benefit of the doubt on the 3DS, even as its launch wasn't as great as we expected it, but I think that the system is clearly heading for disaster with each passing day.

The sales are still sluggish, with the basically dead original DS outselling it nearly 5 to 1 last month, even with Ocarina of Time's release (and it didn't do so hot, either), games are being cancelled like Mega Man Legends 3 and Assassin's Creed, and one game after another is being delayed, even when no games are in the release window for some of them (like Shinobi, Cave Story and Crush). and now, Metal Gear Solid 3 was pushed back to next year, showing that both the customers and game companies are perhaps losing faith in the system.

Add in the fact that the narrative on 3D is solidifying as "it's a gimmick," and Nintendo's direct and indirect assaults on the customer's choice with mandatory firmware updates (where the games may not work without them) and the unerasable saves in 5 games, all of which Nintendo has approve and been silent on (and they apparently are still OK with it, as they let Pac-Man and Galaga Dimensions go out with it now) and, of course, the looming shadow of the PS Vita and things are looking pretty dire.

What can and should Nintendo do to turn this system around (I say price drop, first and foremost)?  Or do you think that this may end up succeeding in the end like the DS did (remember, it had a horrible launch and post launch period, too)?

andrew

Postby andrew » July 27th, 2011, 4:13 pm

Wal-Mart has already rolled back the price of the 3DS to $198 .

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » July 27th, 2011, 5:06 pm

Sorry, what? How are any of the things you bring up "issues" in any way?

Announced games get canceled all the time, hardly something unique, and the "unerasable saves" and now "mandatory updates" nonsense is just crying over non-issues that have been there for years without anyone caring, but which suddenly got blown way out of proportion by clueless journalists.

Hardcore_Sadism1

Postby Hardcore_Sadism1 » July 27th, 2011, 6:00 pm

I myself, take the journalists word for everything I read about the 3DS. /Sarcasm 

JesusSaves

Postby JesusSaves » July 27th, 2011, 8:49 pm

I'm fairly certain that the PSVita will completely crush the 3DS. At the moment the Vita has the exact same price. The only way Nintendo can salvage the 3DS is to drop the price by at least 50 dollars.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 27th, 2011, 9:50 pm

I think things are looking dire for Nintendo on all fronts, but especially the 3DS.  Like many gamers I was intrigued with it at first, but it has been sitting on my shelf lately.  The main problem is that the 3D mania in general is quickly winding down.  Heck, some people are even avoiding 3D in the theaters in favor of the normal versions.

Edward1

Postby Edward1 » July 27th, 2011, 10:05 pm

The smartphone, especially the iPhone is destroying the 3ds.   Some people are saying the Playstation vita will destroy the 3ds, but don't be surprised if it has a similar fate.   Nintendo did not have any "must have" games availible for it at launch, and all the games I want for it that are currently available, are ports from other systems.  (Ocarina of Time and Street Fighter IV.)   I guess i kind of want to try the new pilotwings,  but not for 250.  

Nintendo got too greedy.  Made the system too expensive, and assumed people would buy it for the name alone, similar to sony with the PS3.   Nintendo probably should have had Super Mario 3ds available for it at launch so it would have stood a chance.  I don't know if handhelds can survive in a world where almost every 13 year old has a smartphone.   The PSP vita might stand a better chance, just because they are making it so certain smart phones can play PSP vita games.   But still, right now the iPhone is king, and Nintendo and Sony are simply contenders.   I hate gaming on a smart phone for the most part, because of the lack of a dpad joystick and buttons.  But for most people, if they have games available on the their smartphone, such as Angry Birds, they don't see a need to buy a 3ds.

In order to save the 3ds, Nintendo needs to do the following.

1.Lower the price to 199 immediately.  Make it 149 next year.

2.Invest in quality exclusive titles, not ports of old N64 games.   Give people a reason to buy the system

3.Make games that would be hard to do on a smart phone.

gilly

Postby gilly » July 27th, 2011, 10:13 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]I think things are looking dire for Nintendo on all fronts, but especially the 3DS.  Like many gamers I was intrigued with it at first, but it has been sitting on my shelf lately.  The main problem is that the 3D mania in general is quickly winding down.  Heck, some people are even avoiding 3D in the theaters in favor of the normal versions.
[/QUOTE]

I'm one of those people that prefer the 2d version of a movie to the 3D.

a1

Postby a1 » July 27th, 2011, 11:31 pm

[QUOTE=andrew]

Wal-Mart has already rolled back the price of the 3DS to $198 .

[/QUOTE]

Not at any walmart I've been to. 

Hardcore_Sadism1

Postby Hardcore_Sadism1 » July 27th, 2011, 11:59 pm

It seems like the 3D OFF position just disappeared right in front of you all....

The greedy comment just leans so far to the left without any strong examples....

I can't wait til someone makes a thread titled "The Wii has fundamentally cursed the 3DS!!!"....

Return to “Video Games General”