Is PS3 the best Blu-ray player?

General and high profile video game topics.
Steve1

Postby Steve1 » July 30th, 2011, 11:12 am

Unfortunately, the inevitable has happened. Video that I want to get is now coming on Blu-ray only. I always knew I would most likely have to purchase one, just not this soon. So, first the comment and then the question.

I hate Sony. Is the PS3 really the best Blu-ray player in its class or was that something I heard when it was released.

Couple of factors to consider when getting a Blu-ray
1) Money is not a factor, but I don't want to spend unnecessarily
2) I don't plan to have it online but it can be quite easily
3) I'm quite satisfied with my Xbox 360 so won't buy many, if any, games for a PS3 if I go that path.

I also have a general question about ANY Blu-ray player. Will they play ANY regular DVD? I'm finding that my fairly new PC won't play standard DVD's (although I know I can get an upgrade for the players).

I know it is childish to let my dislike for a company affect my purchase but since I can admit it, it doesn't count 

Looking for honest help that does not involve gaming

Thanks.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » July 30th, 2011, 11:48 am

Haven't had a problem with DVDs on mine.

Sony have pretty much guaranteed that all updates to the BR standard are patched onto the PS3 so as they add new features to their discs a PS3 will always be able to take advantage of those.

gilly

Postby gilly » July 30th, 2011, 1:36 pm

I feel a standalone player is best. You can play movies all day long on a 20 watt blue ray player and it stays quiet and cool. I like this better than booting up a powerful game system that's essentially a computer, to do this same task. It's the same reason I don't play standard def dvds on my 360.
A good blue ray standalone player with 3d capability(if you case for that) and online capabilities including netflix, amazon unbox, hulu, etx, is only about $150. I like the panasonic players best as I feel they turn on faster and load discs quicker. Oh yes, if you didn't know and are just now making the switch from dvd, say good bye to players that go on instantly and movies starting in seconds. Well regular dvds still work fast, and the blue ray player will digitally upconvert via hdmi. But damn blue ray movies are slow! It takes 3 minutes (no exaggeration) to start watching true blood on blue ray! Ok I'm ranting now. Just giving you the pros and cons.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » July 30th, 2011, 1:40 pm

As a DVD player, the PS3 is probably alright, even though I read somewhere
DVD could actually damage the lens. For all I know, that was bogus. I think it's
a terrific Blu-Ray player, but an ultimately limited DVD player, if, like me, you want a multizone player. A European PS3 won't play any American zone 1 DVD, for instance, and I wouldn't want to mess with it so that it could, (if at all possible), the thing being so fragile. I use it for games and Blu-Ray movies, but
rely on my multizone Philips player for DVDs.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 30th, 2011, 1:49 pm

At one time the PS3 was a good choice for a Blu Ray player, but not anymore.  First of all the remote control (sold separately) sucks.  There's no volume control and the button layout is awful.  I have an original PS3 and it seems to run loud (almost as bad as a 360) when playing a Blu Ray.

My second Blu Ray player is a Sony stand-alone and I'm not crazy about that either.  It's very slow and the remote is not very responsive.  You'd assume Sony would have the best Blu Ray players because they invented the technology.  Then you remember how incompetent they are.

A friend of mine (Eric) recently bought another brand and he loves it.  Says it loads fast and works great. I'll have to ask him what that was.

gilly

Postby gilly » July 30th, 2011, 2:00 pm

Panasonic BDT-210 loads dics in as little as 11 seconds, blowing away the rest according to CNET. It's their favorite player of 2011 and got their editor choice award. It sells for $170. See the video's link below.

http://reviews.cnet.com/blu-ray-players-recorders/panasonic-dmp-bdt210/4505-9991_7-34468896.html?tag=mncol;txt

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » July 30th, 2011, 9:31 pm

PS3 was top of the line when it was new for Blu-Ray video playback and was the best option for a time. But it has been slightly eclipsed in recent years by cheaper dedicated players that do as well or slightly better than it.

Still, it's an excellent Blu-Ray and upscaling DVD player. You can't go wrong with it, especially if you're a gamer. But with your hatred of the Playstation brand, I don't think it's the best option for you since you'd be paying more money needlessly since you apparantly wouldn't ever utilize its videogame capabilities.

[QUOTE=Oltobaz]As a DVD player, the PS3 is probably alright, even though I read somewhere
DVD could actually damage the lens. For all I know, that was bogus. .[/QUOTE]

It's bogus.

And at videophile sites such as AVS, the PS3 is held in high regard for its DVD upscaling abilities.

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]At one time the PS3 was a good choice for a Blu Ray player, but not anymore.  First of all the remote control (sold separately) sucks.  There's no volume control and the button layout is awful.  I have an original PS3 and it seems to run loud (almost as bad as a 360) when playing a Blu Ray.
[/QUOTE]

My original PS3 (The 80 gig, non PS2 compatibility release) is whisper quiet, thankfully.

I like the remote control, but my biggest gripe is the lack of an IR reciever on the PS3. I'd rather just use my universal remote control, which works even with the 360, for everything when watching videos. I believe they have a IR reciever that plugs in via USB that can be purchased, but I seem to recall a serious limitation with it (I believe a IR remote can't power up the system, it will only work with the adapter once the console is powered up, if I'm remembering correctly).

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]My second Blu Ray player is a Sony stand-alone and I'm not crazy about that either.  It's very slow and the remote is not very responsive.  You'd assume Sony would have the best Blu Ray players because they invented the technology.  Then you remember how incompetent they are.[/QUOTE]

Sony didn't invent the format. They don't even control it, they're just one of many industry members of the Blu-Ray Disc Association, which is the organization that controls and oversees the format (ala the DVD Forum for DVD video).

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 30th, 2011, 9:51 pm

Leo -
I know it has a long history, but I think my assertion that Sony invented the Blu Ray format is correct.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » July 30th, 2011, 10:58 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]Leo -
I know it has a long history, but I think my assertion that Sony invented the Blu Ray format is correct.
[/QUOTE]

It's terribly unimportant and I shouldn't of even said anything since I may be derailing the topic here, but gamers just mistakingly associate it with Sony due mainly to the Playstation 3.

They certainly hold a major stake in the technology. They've been there since the early days when the technology that became Blu-Ray was in it's infancy (Along with Pioneer, the other major player early on with Sony before companies like Panasonic jumped in and contributed a ton of technology to the project) and were a driving force behind it since. But many firms helped develop it and contributed patented technology that is utilized in Blu-Ray today. There were 9 Blu-Ray founding partners, and today, the industry consortium that controls the technology list 19 board members and many dozens of smaller corporations that are involved. Sony is just one of those companies.

Sony doesn't own the format any more than they did with the DVD format, which they were also a major player from early on with and helped support with the Playstation 2 that helped the format finally gain mass acceptance. But they weren't the only manufacturer behind its development, although they do hold several crucial patents that are necessary for the Blu-Ray format and which they recieve royalties on from other manufacturers that license the technology from the Blu-Ray Disc Association (with patents relating to the mass replication of Blu-Ray disc appearing to be their most important contribution from a intellectual property standpoint).

Gamers just mistakingly think that because Sony has been involved with the format since the beginning with Pioneer, because of Sony's backing of Blu-Ray during the HD disc war, because of the Playstation 3, and Sony being a major player in dedicated Blu-Ray players and as a major publisher of Blu-Ray media, that it must be Sony owned.

But that isn't the case. They're just one of many partners in the format, albeit a major one. But they didn't go it alone, even in the earliest days of the format, and don't own or even control the format. Heck, they weren't even behind the development of Blue Laser technology, probably the most critical element to the format.

In fact a search just now found numerous references to Panasonic being the majority shareholder in the format, not Sony.

Steve1

Postby Steve1 » July 30th, 2011, 11:11 pm

Thank you to everyone who replied so promptly. I have a lot to think about. However, based on the feedback, I'm leaning towards a standalone unit.

Also, at the risk of derailing my own topic, I want to clarify something:

[QUOTE] But with your hatred of the Playstation brand[/QUOTE]

I actually didn't say this. I said I hate Sony. While it may be splitting hairs, it is more of a corporate hatred than a dislike of the Playstation name. After all, I own a PS1 and a PSP (which I use often). The Playstation 3 is not something I am against owning in the future since it seems to be a good system but I am mainly looking for good, reasonably priced Blu-ray player at this moment in time - and you all provided me with some food for thought.

Return to “Video Games General”