Another Reason To Hate Capcom

General and high profile video game topics.
Luke

Postby Luke » August 29th, 2011, 2:19 pm

How can a fighting game be considered deep if you can easily win just by doing fireball, fireball, fireball, hadoken, leg sweep, super combo?

I would actually say that the Street Fighter series is one of the most overrated video game series of all-time. And just because a bunch of tournament players say it's "teh best evar" doesn't automatically mean that it is. A lot of them probably just say that because SF3 was kind of the black sheep of the whole Street Fighter series, hence it makes them sound cool as if they know something that anyone in the mainstream doesn't.

Despite what someone said earlier about it being highly praised by critics, I would seriously dispute that. The truth is it received VERY mixed reviews upon arrival because like I mentioned earlier, it just took danf long for it to come out for one... and second, when it did come out it didn't exactly set the world on fire or breathe new life into the series - it was mostly just more of the same with some really generic new characters that were nowhere near as balanced as the previous games like Super Street Fighter 2: Turbo. Aside from Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li, and Akuma - the rest of the classic Street Fighter 2 roster is noticeably absent! SF3 may be considered "deep" due to the parry system and all that, but it's also known to be very unbalanced. You can't argue that. When a really good player uses Yun it's usually all over. I've heard that Ken, Chun Li and Yun are typically the most used character in SF tournaments. So what does that tell you?

I dunno. You guys can say or think what you want about Third Strike but personally I just think it's overrated and not worth the price of admission at $15. Especially since it's just a digital download. Plus, the game won't be online forever. So you'll just be stuck with arcade mode. Maybe at that point you'll realize maybe you should have just spent your $15 on a copy of the game on PS2 or Xbox.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » August 29th, 2011, 2:48 pm

Luke, these "critics" you refer to are the casual fighting game players people are talking about. The people heaping praise on SF3TS are the super-hardcore elite, the tournament players. Critics don't write for them, since they got their own communities to discuss pros and cons of specific games, but they're still a substantial group of buyers, and they're the prime target Capcom is aiming this release at.

It's just like all these current-gen online rereleases of classic arcade games - they generally get poor reviews from stacks of 20-year-old critics complaining that they're old and boring and ugly and last 5 minutes, but they still sell well enough for companies to keep putting them out. They're not aimed at your average critics and the average joes they write for, but they still have a huge audience outside these.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » August 29th, 2011, 2:57 pm

People who already have this game on Dreamcast, PS2 or Xbox may still want to invest these 15 bucks, due to one awesome feature: online competivity. I realize this feature won't last forever, in the meantime though, you'll have had the option to play against so many other gamers that I don't think you'll regret spending 15 bucks.
Of course, online competivity is already offered in many other fighters this gen, but if you spent time honing your skills with one given fighter in previous generations, you always appreciate the option to test yourself against other people via the internet. It may not be as fun as playing against my little bro or my friends, then again, it's the next best thing and I can have it anytime I want. Hell, I can even play against my friends although they might be miles away! Awesome feature. And, in this case, we're talking about one of the best Street Fighter game, and that's saying something.
As for people who don't have the previous versions, this is obviously a bargain, unless you're a collector, such as I. I already own the Japanese Dreamcast game after all, and I have access to Mame anyways, I'll still buy it, not for collecting purpose, no. You guessed it. I want to experience this game online!

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » August 29th, 2011, 3:59 pm

Playing a game like this online is absolutely awful...its targeted at such a hardcore audience and unless the matchmaking is EXCELLENT you're gonna get your ****** pushed in.  Maybe right when its recently released you'll play against some other new players, but in a few months it will just be the hardcore Third Strike players.  That is not my idea of fun.  Having online for this game is great, but it's not gonna get me spending $15 and playing it again...no way.

I'll stick to the version on PS2/Xbox - at least then I can play against friends of equal skill level and I know that it will be somewhat enjoyable.

Josh

Postby Josh » August 29th, 2011, 4:29 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't hate on Capcom for this one. Their actually doing some fan service for people who love fighters. Enabling the hardcore to meet up online is a big deal because arcades are few.

But I don't want any part of it. It gets way too serious on the online scene for me.

Michael D

Postby Michael D » August 29th, 2011, 8:52 pm

[QUOTE=Josh]Yeah, I wouldn't hate on Capcom for this one. Their actually doing some fan service for people who love fighters. Enabling the hardcore to meet up online is a big deal because arcades are few.

But I don't want any part of it. It gets way too serious on the online scene for me.
[/QUOTE]

Certainly true, and the Xbox and PS2 ports didn't have the training mode, either. This whole topic also shows how unbelievably selfish these growing groups of "I hate Capcom" people are.  Just because they can't have Mega Man Legends 3, they don't want anyone else to have any of their favorite Capcom games that don't involve Mega Man, even when they have a far larger audience than Legends ever had (or Legends 3 probably would have had), and then complain about every game they put out and pretend that they actually cared about Capcom milking their franchises (including Mega Man) all along. 

Luke

Postby Luke » August 30th, 2011, 12:47 am

I don't see anything selfish about asking for a better value when it comes to digital downloads.

I just think $15 is too much for this one game and I'm sure there's many others out there who would agree with me, just as there are those who disagree.

Michael D

Postby Michael D » September 1st, 2011, 8:04 pm

[QUOTE=Luke]I don't see anything selfish about asking for a better value when it comes to digital downloads.

I just think $15 is too much for this one game and I'm sure there's many others out there who would agree with me, just as there are those who disagree. [/QUOTE]

That's fair enough to say that you think the game's too expensive, but it seemed as if you were using the situation to slam Capcom, keep the fires of hate towards them burning and infer that they're the only company that would overprice, which is a completely unfair, unfounded and irresponsible charge.  

Luke

Postby Luke » September 2nd, 2011, 3:18 pm

[QUOTE=Michael D][QUOTE=Luke]I don't see anything selfish about asking for a better value when it comes to digital downloads. I just think $15 is too much for this one game and I'm sure there's many others out there who would agree with me, just as there are those who disagree. [/QUOTE] That's fair enough to say that you think the game's too expensive, but it seemed as if you were using the situation to slam Capcom, keep the fires of hate towards them burning and infer that they're the only company that would overprice, which is a completely unfair, unfounded and irresponsible charge. [/QUOTE]Right. But it's not just the pricing.. it's the constant revisions and re-issues. It's all tied together just to make one big cash grab. That's how I see it.

I will say one thing about Capcom though... at least they make sure that their emulation and online play are up to par. I bought the Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection off XBLA the other night and so far I and many others out there on the net have discovered a TON of audio bugs and graphical issues with this "kollection." The online netcode is said to be just about the worst on XBLA - MK2 and UMK3 run at about half speed all the time, MK1 is said to sometimes run "ok" for some people, but there are also no lobbies and no gamertags on screen... stuff the the original UMK3 release on XBLA had but for some reason is no longer present!?

So many people are mad and feeling cheated right now.

This still doesn't change how I feel about Third Strike Online's pricing. But I will say that I have heard nothing but great things about its near-flawless emulation and online gameplay. So if they are over-charging... at least they give you a solid product.

Return to “Video Games General”