Steve Jobs, the visionary, has passed

General and high profile video game topics.
gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » October 5th, 2011, 8:30 pm

He was an incredible person. This guy worked for Atari in the very early days, co-founded Apple, started Pixar, and gave us some great, great devices. I still remember playing Ultima and Ultima II on my brother-in-law's Apple Computer many moons ago, and just amazed at the depth of it. The I-Pad 2, which I bought for my wife a couple months ago, has some great, short play games.

It's a sad day.

Blueguy93

Postby Blueguy93 » October 5th, 2011, 8:55 pm

I'm sure you guys heard that Steve Jobs, former CEO of Apple (who made the itouch that has all of these games on it) just passed away today. today is a great loss for the apple community.

wur1

Postby wur1 » October 5th, 2011, 9:04 pm

I mainly remember a slew of "educational" Apple 2 games that came out in the late 80's / early 90's that we had in the public elementary schools.  I remember there was a Mario Bros. clone with some bears who ran around collecting letters to spell words, some "educational" Pacman clone (was it Word Munchers?), a scrolling airplane shooter that was also somehow "educational", and of course Oregon Trail.  There were also some adventure games based on famous literature;  I remember one was based on Mark Twain's works, as well as Alice in Wonderland.

sixam1

Postby sixam1 » October 6th, 2011, 7:49 am

Steve who?

PacMan000

Postby PacMan000 » October 6th, 2011, 10:23 am

It is a sad day, a sad day indeed. 

I would like to point out that Pixar was originally a division of LucasFilm (or Industrial Light and Magic, I can't be sure which is correct.)  Steve Jobs bought the division, and made it a significant.  This is does not lessen his achievement; I just want to be as accurate as possible.

Hardcore_Sadism1

Postby Hardcore_Sadism1 » October 6th, 2011, 12:28 pm

I cried tears that actually stung. Such a horrible way to die. No amount of sedatives can change the fact he had been suffering.

There needs to be a re-casing of the iPod classic, with an external design (Sans Firewire) similar to the very first iPod but with the same internals as the Standard 2005(6?) iPod classic. Monochrome LCD and Click Wheel in all.

porypowerhour

Postby porypowerhour » October 6th, 2011, 2:16 pm

Keep in mind he also is responsible for giving half his pay to the man who designed Breakout, and taking credit for it himself!

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » October 6th, 2011, 3:59 pm

[QUOTE=porypowerhour]Keep in mind he also is responsible for giving half his pay to the man who designed Breakout, and taking credit for it himself!
[/QUOTE]

And pocketed the $5000 bonus for himself.

I still don't get how appleheads love this guy.  He's no more than a good sales or marketing guy (albeit worth about $8 Billion)

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » October 6th, 2011, 6:30 pm

[QUOTE=porypowerhour]Keep in mind he also is responsible for giving half his pay to the man who designed Breakout, and taking credit for it himself!
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know about this. And your statement is not entirely accurate. Bushnell gave a bonus to Jobs for the reduction of chips needed for Breakout. Anything under 75 chips, Jobs got a bonus for each chip. He asked his friend and Apple co-founder for his help, and Woz did it with less than 30 chips. But it wasn't able to be engineered. There is debate about how much Jobs got, but some say it was $5000. He promised Woz half, but gave him only $750. Not the most honorable thing to do, but he probably sunk it into Apple.

And on a side note, your post irritates me as being really petty. It's like you're saying "Well yeah, Jobs died suffering, but he wasn't fair to his friend 35 years ago." Give me a break. Those without sin....

Yeah, this guy died, but he got a speeding ticket in 1986 doing 67 in a 55mph zone!!!!

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » October 6th, 2011, 7:34 pm

It's people like this that have made America a beacon of creativity and innovation to the rest of the world.  His legacy will live on... literally.  His company and the thousands of people he employed and collaborated with will continue to create incredible technology for the foreseeable future.  We will miss you, Steve.

Return to “Video Games General”